Home

Lightsaber sound

Keiran Halcyon

Originally posted by Keiran Halcyon

I did not meant personalised sounds like adding what you want, but sets of sounds (like for example the voices in Baldur's Gate series characters) Speaking of it i hope this feature also is on the game (i'm sure it will, but i dont want a rodian speaking like a human...:D )

This is what I was thinking about too. I'm sure they have something along these lines.

Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt

(In my opinion saber sounds differing on stance doesn't sound realistic, do you hear Qui-Gon's saber hum differently when he holds it differently? don't think so o.o)

if the hum comes from the blade itself then wouldnt a change in the angle change the frequency a bit?

Possibly, but it would barely be notice-able. it would be like saying that a car standing still on a slope would make a different noise than it standing still on a level surface. It's noise would pretty much be the same all the time I think, it just make the "whum" noises because it's position changes rapidly and you get such an effect when you swing things about, I'd say take anything that makes a revving/humming noise and swing it, you'll see what I mean XD

Originally posted by Iblis Reborn

if the hum comes from the blade itself then wouldnt a change in the angle change the frequency a bit?

** Prime dusts off his old physics degree **

The angle that the lightsaber is being held will not affect the hum you hear. The Doppler Effect is the result of relative movement between the sound's source and the listener. This is due to the rate that the sound waves reach you. Let me give a Star Wars example:

Imagine Darth Vader standing there with his lightsaber on and humming away. It has a certain frequency that you hear. Now Darth comes torwards you menacingly. Because this is the worst possible situation you can be in and thus so freakin' scared, you don't notice that the hum of his saber now sounds higher. Now that you are running as fast as you can away from Vader, he stops and again you don't notice that the hum of the saber sounds lower than it did before, because you are soiling your pants at this point.

So why is this? Because when Vader is moving towards you when you are standing still, the time between each soundwave reaching you is shortened. As a result, the hum sounds higher than it did before. As you run away from a stationary Vader, the time between each soundwave is now greater, making the hum sound lower. This is the same effect that happens when an ambulance with the siren on drives by.

So the angle that the lightsaber is held will make no difference to the pitch of the hum you hear. :)

Originally posted by happydan

they werent "great", they were crap. they were weak, and not nearly loud enough, and needed more dirty low-end to them. most of the fan made ones were better attempts.

Not loud enough? Turn down the music and turn up your speakers :)

Some of the lightsaber sounds had a deep, throaty hum. Just not Kyle's. I replaced Kyle's sound with one of the other ones, and now it sounds great.

Archived