Home

Lightsaber sound

Keiran Halcyon

This may have already included on the game, but i'll ask for it anyway.

Well since you can customize you character and saber color and hilt i thought it would be nice to choose your own saber hum (with on/off sounds too). There are several hummings in the movies and i think it would be a cool feature.

At least, light-staff could sound different...

Just a suggestion....

I can't really see them doing personalised saber sounds for the game - the weapons use the same tech, so they should sound similar, IMHO.

Having said that, the dualstaff does have a bit more of a buzz-saw sound to it (at least when twirled by Maul in Episode I), and I'm sure the devs will try to get any distinctive sounds into the game.

Personalised saber sounds seems a bit overkill to me, though.

Maybe they could provide the possibility of modding your own sabre to have different sounds, but only ship the game with, say, three or four soundsets for sabres. It'd be overkill, yeah, but it could be fun. :) Then again, I shudder to think about the obvious next step: Homer Simpson and South Park sounding sabres. >Solo4114 swings sabre -- "OW!! MY ASS!!" is heard instead of the familiar hum.<

Well even if the sounds we want are not in the game then I will be sure to modify it so that the sounds are more distinctive and accurate. In a few weeks i'm gonna go and buy a dvd rom for my pc which will allow me to rip the sounds off the dvds. I actually (painstakingly) created a ,pk3 file which i use right now that has different saber hums for each of the sabers, the clash sounds are a good mix of episode 1/2, and classic trilogy sounds. The only thing is that they were ripped off .avi and .asf files, so the quality could be better.

But if you want to edit sounds i recommend getting cool edit pro. It allows you to get just the soundtrack from the movies and let's you trim it just right so that you get exactly the sound you want - right down to the millisecond. The one thing i'm trying to figure out is how to eliminate background noise and music so as to get the sound itself. But i'm going on and on here, so just be rest assured that this game will indeed have a mod in which the sounds are accurately portrayed if the developers use anything different.

Here's my attempt of creating JO saber sounds mod. Those are sounds ripped mostly from AotC DVD, but there are also few sounds from TPM. I find fighting with them more enjoyable :).

IMO the original saber sounds should be corrected in JA. And I don't think there's a need of making separate sounds for each color/stance. Just make it sound right :D.

Actually,light-wise,White is the hottest colour,followed by blue,and goes down the list as how you'd think it'd go up!Red is actually the coolest colour,light-wise!Believe it or not,this is true,I read in an anstronomer's book.

Anyway,I'd prefer if they don't tinker with the sounds.It'd be overkill,as SH said earlier.(was it Sh?Not sure...)

I think the sound may vary(?) acording to its light spectrum, blue is soft, red is higher on sound scale, just compare luke's anh light blue saber, yoda's green and dooku's, I thing just 3 sounds, soft, medium, hard sounds thats enough for me, or just 2, one aplicable to "sith colors" and one for "jedi colors", of course aonly applicable to movies cause one use any color independent(?) to force side affinity(?).

anyways I hope JA uses the same .pk3 files easily edited with winzip, that way you use any sound you want. (also edit textures, in my JO there's several textures that say "Payne, was here", including bad npc's parts)

actually, i remember lucas or someone was talking about how mauls saber sounds alot dirtier than the jedi ones, so that he appeared more menacing. they explained it away that its all in the forging of sith saber crystals, which are fuelled through hate and anger. id guess its the same reason why dookus is so down and dirty, and why yodas is a higher buzz, due to the smaller components.

Yeah that mod was pretty sweet. It added a lot to the JK experience, too bad it didn't work in first person perspective though, otherwise i would still be playing that game. Hey maybe someone can make a mod using the JK2 style for JK1, then that would be totally awesome. But yeah anyways, as far as the sounds are concerned, i believe it's really all about personal preference. Everyone has a favorite sound and no two are alike.

Archived