Home

What's on the MENU?

StormHammer

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but I thought the menus in JO could have been better designed. For example, yoiu find MODs under the Setup menu, the USE key under Attack/Look (under the CONTROLS menu), and some of the screens seem to be cluttered.

I hope they do a bit of a redesign for the menus in JA. Having played UT2K3, that game has more of a TAB system, where you just click a tab along the top of the screen to get instant access to what you want to change. It's not as refined as uWindows (from UT), which I consider to be a very good menu interface, but it feels a lot better than what we have in JO at the moment.

I think they should go for more of a TAB system, myself, and re-arrange some of the options more logically. For example, have all the GAME options (such as New, Load, Save, Delete etc) under one screen. Video under another, Audio another. If you look at UT2K3, it has these TABS...

Video | Details | Audio | Player | Network | Controls | Input | Weapons | Hud | Game | Speech

It just seems more logical, to me. It would also be good to have a screen just for speech/talk binds, IMHO.

Things like realistic saber damage should also make an appearance on the menu, so it can be turned on or off, without having to go via the console.

And as for the 'Announcer' in MP...do you think we should have a variety of announcer voices, like UT2K3?

I'd be interested in what other people have to say about the menu interface, because I think it's due for an overhaul...

I think the biggest lack on the menu is a way to turn on dismemberment without turning on saberrealisticcombat, in other words, just the same game but with pieces flying over the place.

Is there a way to turn dismember without saberrealisticcombat via console?.

*edit* just realize the biggest lack on the menu, when creating a server there's an option that says: "saber only on/off", this game need an option that says: "guns only on/off", something like a merc mode, just guns, and please not more stun batton, fists or just nothing in his place.

also (nothing to do with menu but...) walk should be noiseless.

I agree with both points. It would be nice to be able to turn on and off some of the variables through a friendlier interface. For variables that can have multiple settings, perhaps a slider that showed you what the different values did.

Originally posted by taekwondo joe

the J menue did suck, they needed a better animation goingin the background too!!!! just that plain blue with a lightaber did not do it forme, i loved JK's menu, that was great

That's true. I loved the picture of the table with the Jedi artifacts on it.

Perhaps the background for the menu could contain your created character or lightsaber hilt? Maybe have the character doing various moves and swings. It should be too hard. They do this in NBA Live 2003.

Originally posted by Prime

That's true. I loved the picture of the table with the Jedi artifacts on it.

Perhaps the background for the menu could contain your created character or lightsaber hilt? Maybe have the character doing various moves and swings. It should be too hard. They do this in NBA Live 2003.

Hey that's great!! :D

But I thought the JO menu was cool enough, nice n simple...

Originally posted by HertogJan

Hey that's great!! :D

But I thought the JO menu was cool enough, nice n simple...

I think it was a bit too simple, though. When you look at the menu for SOF2, for example, it seems to be better realised than JO's. *shrugs* I still think the menu options themselves could do with some serious tweaking and re-arrangement.

Originally posted by StormHammer

I hope they do a bit of a redesign for the menus in JA. Having played UT2K3, that game has more of a TAB system, where you just click a tab along the top of the screen to get instant access to what you want to change. It's not as refined as uWindows (from UT), which I consider to be a very good menu interface, but it feels a lot better than what we have in JO at the moment.

I think they should go for more of a TAB system, myself, and re-arrange some of the options more logically. For example, have all the GAME options (such as New, Load, Save, Delete etc) under one screen. Video under another, Audio another. If you look at UT2K3, it has these TABS...

I've been playing a lot of UT2k3 lately and I agree....the tab system is very easy to work and mangage. Plus I think it looks good too. For some reason the menu for JO did not impress me....i think it's because comparatively, it did not look nearly as good as UT2k3 IMHO. I hope they change up the menu a bit for JA. Prime's idea of adding a character would go a long way.....maybe include a background as well. I just think there are several things that they could do. :)

And as for the 'Announcer' in MP...do you think we should have a variety of announcer voices, like UT2K3?

Well, whatever they have, I want it to be unique to JA and for the SW universe. They should get those two guys who announced the pod races in TPM to come in and do the vioces for the MP. That would be kind of fun. :)

I don't know why the excessive dismemberment was removed from the menu. It's actually commented out in the MENU file. I've readded that for my singleplayer mod.

g_dismembermentprobabilities (I think) has three different values. 2 is rare, 1 is normal, and 0 is excessive. Yes, 0 is excessive, not off. It doesn't amplify saber damage like said cheat does either.

Originally posted by Emon

I don't know why the excessive dismemberment was removed from the menu. It's actually commented out in the MENU file. I've readded that for my singleplayer mod.

g_dismembermentprobabilities (I think) has three different values. 2 is rare, 1 is normal, and 0 is excessive. Yes, 0 is excessive, not off. It doesn't amplify saber damage like said cheat does either.

That's interesting. Could explain a little more how to go about doing that, and what it changes?

Originally posted by Leemu Taos

Well, whatever they have, I want it to be unique to JA and for the SW universe. They should get those two guys who announced the pod races in TPM to come in and do the vioces for the MP. That would be kind of fun. :)

Yes, I agree that it has to be fully within the context of Star Wars. Mon Mothma's voice sounds a bit dull in JO, and I think it would spice things up if you had some other sound-alike voices commenting in MP. If you're playing on the Dark side, it might be nice to choose Vader's voice to keep tally of your scores...or for the light side, Ben Kenobi...and make them sound more like mentors guiding you on your killing spree. :D

Originally posted by Prime

That's interesting. Could explain a little more how to go about doing that, and what it changes?

Well to enable it in the menu you'd have to edit the MENU files, but to do it manually just put g_dismembermentprobabilities 0 in the console. It might be g_dismemberprobabilities, I don't remember. You can put that (and any other commands) in an autoexec.cfg in your base folder or a mod folder.

Originally posted by Emon

Well to enable it in the menu you'd have to edit the MENU files, but to do it manually just put g_dismembermentprobabilities 0 in the console. It might be g_dismemberprobabilities, I don't remember. You can put that (and any other commands) in an autoexec.cfg in your base folder or a mod folder.

I see. Do you know what the various values of g_dismemberprobabilities does? How do different values affect dismemberment (more than just the higher the number the more dismemberment)?

...I already explained that...

0 = excessive

1 = normal

2 = rare

Higher does not mean more dismemberment. If you try to put in 99999 it's just going to assume it's 2, and you'll hardly get any dismemberment at all.

Archived