Home

Strategy Thread

lukeiamyourdad

Well I find walls rather valuable, as I am a very defensive player, almost bordering on turtling. Sure, mounties can rip through walls, but it gives me time to mobilise my troops before the mounty gets to my base. Against air they are useless, but no one ver attacks purely with air, there is nearly always a ground force as well (which the walls will keep out).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walls are no walls...

I remember in the time of AoK how I used walls...At the beginning, my newbs years, I was using walls(like in SWGB). But after awhile... I didn't make them anymore...

Because they become useless. Don't worry. If you lose a few units or buildings it's no biggy. If you have a strong econ, everything is fine.

ive tried walls playing computer and i find that you can play with them and without them. its just i hate losing buildings if i dont have to. walls only cost 100-200 ore at the most and stall plenty enough to get forces there.

but then again im not the kind of person you see attacking at t2... (maybe once in a while if im not lagging to far behind the enemy (i tend to do better in the long run))

Originally posted by SE_Vader_536

but then again im not the kind of person you see attacking at t2... (maybe once in a while if im not lagging to far behind the enemy (i tend to do better in the long run))

you mean you play the comp, thwart their initial attack then eventually move in on them? :D

I ALWAYS attack in tech 2 now. You'd be surprised how strong 6-10 mounted troopers are. sticking 4 on a turret can bring it down fairly fast. and 4 on a power core and you can kiss that PC goodbye! THEN you sick them on the CC! If they're attacking the CC the workers are probably garrisoned in it and not working. then have troops next to the mounties... when the CC empties because it's too damaged those troopers easily waste the workers!

Hi !

I find all this advices very helpful. However I still have a specific problem, as we are talking about walls or no-walls.

I tend to play often with the same friend, and he has a very defensive strat. Especially turrets, turrets, and turrets again ! Just all along his walls, and also inside his territory.

That drives me mad :mad: . I am really faster in ressource than him, get a more powerful army, but I waste everything against these damn turrets (upgraded, garrisoned and so on).

So far I didn't found the solution, as even with canons, I don't get rid of it (as soon as one turret is demolished, he build another one).

Of course he always manages turrets to protect eachothers.

I wasted many times tremendous amount of units of any kind, without making enough damage to weaken him.

Whenver I make a breach in it, I get demolished by other turrets inside.

So what would you do against this kind of defense ?

What is the best strat against a highly turrets protected enemy ?

I tried sometimes air transport, but of course I got hit hard by anti-air turrets ...

PS : of course you could answer "rush him before ...", but we suppose it's too late

i get in the low 20's for workers before i hit t2. but i'm very good and i know what i'm doing with my guys. so 20's all i need in t1.

as i advance to t2 i have a food ctr a carbon ctr and either a power core or a nursery. if i dont have a PC in t1, i build one as i go to t2.

as soon as i hit t2 i research troopers, carbon upgrades, and farming upgrades. then continuously pump out workers and troopers. i build a war ctr at some early point and research lasers and armor. then i get 6 or so guys on nova, research mounted troopers and s** is on. I have over 10 troopers made and i send a first wave at my enemies carbon guys. next i send a wave of mounted troopers (6-8) and troopers at my enemy. mounties go straight for the power core. then a turret. you dont want to go head to head vs his troopers unless you know you'll win. you want to make sure you kill as many of his workers as you can. that's the key. then fight his army. by killing his carbon workers and his power core you eliminate his ability to easily build another power core and maximize his trooper building time. then you can make MORE troopers and finish him. it's not hard but it takes a little to get used to. but it's by far the easiest way to win, especially in 1v1 games. I tend to do in every game now. because it's a sure fire way to kill someone. and if you're in a 3v3 you can eliminate an opponent and give your team an early advantage.

just my strat. but it works a LOT of the time.

lmeunier, I used to have the same problem w/ a friend of mine when we played on a LAN together. Then I broke it. Here's how.

Build 5-10 canons w/ a big army to back it up. Make sure your army is designed to counter whatever units he throws at you when you attack.

Use the canons to slowly go "step by step" through his base. Deploy, kill 1 or 2 turrets, move, deploy, kill more turrets, etc. Never deploy your canons within range of your enemy's turrets. It will take some time, but you will get the job done. You just want to slowly eat away at his defenses.

Keep your army close to your canons to protect them, but keep them out of range of the enemy's turrets. Use defensive stance or stand ground stance to make this easier.

When you've broken through the defenses and your in his town, DON'T go crazy with your army and send them to be slaughted by turrets throughout his base. Bring pummels allong and use them (backed up with your army) and your canons to kill the turrets as you "walk" through his base. Once again, don't go running through. Slowly walk through his base killing all units, turrets, military buildings, shield generators, and resorce collection buildings (including Command Centers)

After that, he stopped being a turtle and started to fight for real.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If he keeps rebuilding turrets, just keep killing them. He will run out of ore pretty fast, and your canons will kill them quickly anyway.

If you're feeling suicidal tho, try throwing your pummels ahead of ya.

Keep them ahead. They can deflect a lot of shots.

It's fun to play. It's fun to win.

You know it's no biggie to be an eternal rook. It can be a lot of fun.

But winning is also fun(except for noob bashers. I'm sure they're only a bunch of nerdy kids who can't find anything else to do with their lives). Except that winning shouldn't be everything. If you like long games, play long games. If you like short games, then rush!

It's all in the preferences...

it depends.

it's a strategy game

there's more than 1 way to win. you can make 50 air cruisers... but if your opponent has more fighters, you'd lose that battle and waste all the nova and food.

you can make a lot of troopers, but if you're countered by strkes, you'll probably lose that too. balance is key. and supporting your main units is key.

I've got a friend who I play w/ every so often who can't deside what civ to be himself, so he is always asking me (we play on a LAN). Whenever we are teamed together (like last night), he ALWAYS keeps asking me to choose his civ. It gets very anoying, so...I was wondering, what civ do you think goes best w/ the empire. I play empire 98% of the time so this is the only combo I'm really interested in, but other ideas are ok, too. I'm always willing to adapt.

Archived