Home

Strategy Thread

lukeiamyourdad

Finally!!!!!

I have enough points to get a decent strat thread stuck!

I would now ask everyone who has a strat or tip of anykind related to SWGB to come here and post it!

Also, everyone who has any question related to strategy and campaigns, come ask your questions here. You're sure to get your answer.

I hope this thread stands the test of time.

May the force be with the Strategy thread

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any tips on how to get resources faster? I need to work on that. I can get it going but by the time I get a troop center out and like 10 troopers, my enemy is at tech 2 and has sent in a bunch of troopers/mounties.....

I guess another one of my problems is I'm what they call a "defense whore." I can build a good defense if I had the resources. That's why if I team up with someone, sometimes I goto an allied base and sorta "bunk" in with them, and keep my other base so the enemy still think I'm there.

I have the same problem when I am playing the computer in random maps and I am on moderate, hard or hardest level. Usually I start collecting all the resources around my base. I first collect the muji bush for food, surrounding trees for carbon, nova, and ore. At the same time I try to make troopers to protect my base. It just seems like the computer gives itself an upgrade by tech level. Still can't figure out how he gets all those workers and troopers so fast.

one thing a few people have told me is to not worry about the nova and ore til t2. Nova/ore is not imperitive before t2 so don't bother with it. Just gather food and carbon. It cost carbon and food to make the troopers. without them... you're screwed. Nova is used for upgrades and the mechs. Ore is for some building upgrades and building the defenses.

Nova is important in tech level 1. Why do people keep saying that? You need nova to build your mounted troopers. You can't defend your base with trooper recruits when the computer is quick to advance to tech level 2 and attack with normal troopers, mounted troopers, and jedi padawans.

Originally posted by joesdomain

Nova is important in tech level 1. Why do people keep saying that? You need nova to build your mounted troopers. You can't defend your base with trooper recruits when the computer is quick to advance to tech level 2 and attack with normal troopers, mounted troopers, and jedi padawans.

if you have more than 1 worker on nova in t1 you're dead. you need carbon and food. troops kill other troops and mounted trooper easily. and the comp wont attack you with padawans until late. besides, you need food and carbon to get the gathering upgrades. if you're messing around with nova in t1, i'll be in t2 sending upgraded troopers at you killing all your workers.

then sending mounted's to kill your power cores and CC.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I wont be making a habit of this but I will stick this sucker for a little while...make sure it stays on topic :-p

DMUK

it is my understanding that Mech Destroyers are good against mechs. Try and using some of them with mounties and grenaders. The Mounties would get too close for the strike mech to shoot (or is that only for assualt mech/mech destroyer?). The strike mechs are good against troopers so it makes no sense to me to use troopers against them.

but what do I know, I suck at this game :p

mech destroyers kill anything at the mech factory with easy.

but if you're being rushed, the guy is probably a low intermediate player doing a strike rush because he cant T2 trooper rush.

If you attack in T2 first, you'll win easily.

With that said if they T3 rush, you don't have mech destroyers.

Grenaders are good, but get killed easily. You'll need a few. Same for Mounted's. I like to outnumber with mounteds if you're still in T2. THEN go kill his power core at his mech factory, no power means no strikes! At that point he's probably low on carbon and food.

For example, a guy tried to T3 strike mech rush me the other day. But as he hit T3 I was attacking with troopers and got him low on carbon. Then he attacked my troopers with strikes. So I sent a bunch of mounted troopers to kill the strike mechs and his power cores. Then he sent fighters. So I used AA troopers. Then I sent mounted troopers, anti air troopers, and troopers. My mounted's killed his nurseries, AA took out his air speeders (don't know why he sent them) and my troopers out numbered his.

So he was in T3 and I was in T2... I won.

I usually try to keep up with the computer's tech level and attack his strike mechs, mech destroyers, power cores, and workers with mounties. I protect them with Anti-air troopers, Laser Troopers, and a few padawans.

Sometimes I will get to tech level 3 first and attack with knights, bounty hunters, and protect them with anti-air troopers and grenadiers. I also use fighters to take out anti-air troopers, medics, workers, and any other trooper. Follow that with some bombers to destroy military buildings.

Originally posted by joesdomain

I usually try to keep up with the computer's tech level and attack his strike mechs, mech destroyers, power cores, and workers with mounties. I protect them with Anti-air troopers, Laser Troopers, and a few padawans.

when playing the comp on medium or lower it's easy to counter their attacks or at least keep up with them in production.

on hard, it's hard. i usually play on hard, but i find myself pausing at times for the simple fact that the comp can multi-task at a much faster level. i pause at the start and when i tech to get all the upgrades at once then i'm off to the races.

Sometimes I will get to tech level 3 first and attack with knights, bounty hunters, and protect them with anti-air troopers and grenadiers. I also use fighters to take out anti-air troopers, medics, workers, and any other trooper. Follow that with some bombers to destroy military buildings.

when in tech 2 attack with troops, in tech 3 attack with strikes and troops. uses mounted's to tear down gates power cores and turrets. dont use much air, but bring some AA with your troopers as D and leave some at your base.

a REALLY easy strat is while attacking the comp, leave like 2 air units over their CC in an area out of turret range and have them in defensive or in no movement stance. this is a REALLY easy way to cut off food/farm prodcution.

remember ATTACK THE ECONOMY AND NOT BUILDINGS!

The only buildings you should attack are power cores and the CC.

Mounted's on those, troopers to kill workers, mechs to kill troopers.

i wanna hear you guys talk about beating the comp while still in t2 or t3 soon!

Yeah, carbon is the most vernable resource. No mater if you trooper rush, strike rush, or air rush, hit the carbon first.

Grenadiers-Since ther projectile is slow, a good player (or the comp) can usually out-micro them. However, they serve as a good deterence for strike rushes, and protect regualr troopers better than mounties. Mounties should be used for seige anyways.

the guy is probably a low intermediate player doing a strike rush because he cant T2 trooper rush.

I remeber when a certain forumer would speak highly of this rush. It seems you have learned much, young padawan.

Alright, pbguy, I've been away from this game for a while, and I totally forgot my build order (I've been playing Set, Odin, Tho, and Hades in AoM, and those are probably the most different BO's in the game). Anywho, I all i remeber is vils 1-2 go to berries/other food and vil 3-4 go carbon. Also, I remeber that I advanced faster than most people, and tended to do most of my economic build up in t3 (especially in nova/ore). What is (roughly) your BO?

it depends on who you're playing as to what strat u want to use. if you do it right, a strike rush will work. but you need to do more than simply advance to t3. you need to put at least 1 turret near your carbon guys, and you have to have enough nova too. AND protect your power core from mounted troopers with walls.

i like to put my first 12 or so guys on food. then the rest on carbon. i like to get to t2 pretty quick now and get troops up pretty fast. and get a war center and upgrades for troops.

first get all the resource upgrades, then make workers and troops out the wazoo. seriously... non-stop trooper production. if you commit to troops in t2 it's SO hard to lose. i mean making TONS in t2. especially mounted troopers, you can take down a CC easy.

Guest DarthMaulUK
Originally posted by Th£_§hîzz¥Ñîtz

how do i post a scanned pic of an awesome strategy :lsduel:

If you put the pics into a zip file, then email them to me, I will make a page up

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Mounted troopers are the best at countering a Mech rush. Maybe a mixture of grenaders also in support. However, build yourself a couple of turrets close to your carbon collectors to offer some protection from Troop/Mech rush.

Remember that early turrets have limited short range, so space them out to cover each other.

Take a look at the recorded games section for other useful strats and tips, or record yours and send them in

DMUK

I generally don't build troops early, i rely on turrets and getting to t3 in time.

I am like undefeated in mineral consumption. I've had over 70,000, even over 80,000 total nova, and approx. 10,000 ore.

I start on nova in t1 (gasp), because 1. padawans 2. getting to t3 faster once u r in t2.

If u survive the "trama" of building a padawan, (the temple can be used as a requirerment) the holos can help later in game.

With a few nova workers in t2, my nova can be ambundent and i can buy food at spaceport, which is the other t2 building i use as the requirement.

and I'm saying you don't NEED to get to T3 as fast as you think.

200 Nova can build you 10 mounted troopers. the other 200 to get to T3 can build you 10 more. That's more than enough to rip through your turrets and power cores (EDIT: not to mention your CC). 4 or 5 can take down a turret with relative ease. Not to mention the time it takes to tech to T3 is long. Longer than it takes to tech to T2.

Nice Nice very nice!

Keep this up.

It doesn't matter the speed for that moment. It's not that important.

I tried many times to counter a strike rush with 2(maybe three) turrets near my carbon workers. But the mechs always avoid my turrets fire and even my mounties!

troopers are fast enough at t2... especially mounted troopers. they're very fast. besides it takes longer for you to get from T2 to T3 than it takes for me to get to your base with troopers in T2. No doubt about it.

and you can't counter 2 strikes with 2 mounties. you need to have more. strikes are ranged and will move to the range they need to attack. if you have two mounted troopers to a mech, you'll kill it with relative ease.

[EDIT]And to comment on DMUK's main page comment... I have beaten 2 decent players at once. It isn't easy, but it's possible.

Especially if you can really do a number on one of them in tech 2 and kill them there.

The only troopers that are painfully slow are recruits. Thats why the first thing you should do when hitting t2 is upgrade to troopers. That is probably the biggest upgrade in the game, and the cheapest as well. If my opponent has recruits when I hit them, I pretty much think "game, set and match". Recruits just die so quickly to troopers and their speed allows them to be out-manuevered very easily.

Mounties make great anti-building units, but if you're using them, I'd suggest getting the pierce armor upgrade at the war center. Helps them resist turret/cc fire as well as their t2 counter-the trooper.

Padawans are a waste of 225 nova. Spend that on troopers or upgrading. They tend to die before they ever reach massed troopers-the units they're supposed to counter.

The only rush I have to getting to t3 is that I get air, which makes the best offensive weapon. Fighters are awesome raiders and bombers are crucial against people who build turret forests around their town. Also, in t3, I get the heavy trooper upgrade, plus the range upgrade, which allows for me to outrange cc's and turrets with troopers. But post-patch, both of those are more expensive and less effective.

Turrest by carbon workers are key to out living rushes. If you have a feeling you will be rushed, build a turret. Another thing, keep your carbon gathering on the opposite side of your cc from the rusher, and keep your troop center perpendicular. If they go t3, remember that you have grenadiers and aa-troopers.

i like to put my first 12 or so guys on food. then the rest on carbon. i like to get to t2 pretty quick now and get troops up pretty fast. and get a war center and upgrades for troops.

That sounds like what I did, but I'm pretty sure that I kept about an equal amount of food to carbon workers, with a slightly greater emphasis on food. I liked attacking early, so i pumped around 8 recruits prior to teching. Never have idle tc time.

seriously, sometimes i dont even have a troop center as i hit t2

my first 3 buildings are food ctr, carbon ctr, and power core. and in some games i dont have a power core right away and i get a nursery as my third building. then i tech and build a PC as i tech.

as i get to t2 i get the carbon upgrade first, the farm second (possibly nurseries if i have at least 2) then troopers, then the war center upgrades, then a turret near the carbon guys.

keep in mind this is while constantly making workers out of the CC. and once you have troop centers making troops. at some point i have a second troop center up... then my second t2 building... then at some point my third troop center. and by the time my third troop center is up i'm pumping those puppies out something fierce. the comp on hard is pretty much dead at this point.

Archived