Home

Poll: Fixed Saber Color Selection or an RGB/HSL slider?

Mazellion

Should there be a fixed selection of colors or a slider?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a fixed selection of colors or a slider?

• Fixed List (with hopefully more choices than in JK2)
    • An RGB slider like in JediMOD
    • An HSL (hue, sat., luminosity) chart for more precision

Originally posted by JediBozQ

Huh?!?!?

A Pink Bladed Lightsaber annoys you???? :confused:

As an example, yes. The point is, any attempt to maintain some sort of movie "realism" for the game will be undermined. This may not matter to you, but it matters to a lot of us :)

And just what the H-E-L-L IS WRONG WITH A TEAL SABER?!?!?!?!?! Did anyone watch ANH??? In spite of the fact that the saber Luke inherited was SUPPOSED to be blue, there were several instances where it appeared to be teal, and an instance where it looked white as well. While the white looked a little off, Teal is a nice color and I for one had previously created a character concept in the days of JK who did in fact have an Aqua colored lightsaber. Believe it or not it really did look quite good when I did it in graphics. So leave that color alone. Come on...it takes a moron to complain about "stupid" colors for crying out loud.

Anyway, I think HSL would be a nice ADDITIONAL option while still making presets available. I do however understand that there were some real problems with RGB saber mods but that was due to a couple easily fixable problems.

1) DONT ALLOW CORE COLOR CHANGING. The core should always remain white. Altering this would allow the "morons" to exploit the power of HSL.

2) Impliment a limiting handicap on the HSL sliders to avoid nasty effects such as OVERSATURATED glows or invisible ones. If you wonder what I mean by oversaturated, just looks at the TCK saber mod. if you maxed a color too much it had an opaque ugly look to it and had a color bleeding problem.

And lastly if there are going to be preset colors, PLEASE, FOR GODS SAKE FIX THAT HORRIBLE EXCUSE FOR A PURPLE SABER!!!!!

THAT IS NOT REAL !@#$%^& PURPLE!!!! It is too warm. The red tint is too high, raise the blue levels, and lower the red slightly.

And a note to the moderators: At no time in this post is there anything that should be taken as a flame. There is no flaming intent and heated remarks are not directed at any one party.

Originally posted by Prime:

As an example, yes. The point is, any attempt to maintain some sort of movie "realism" for the game will be undermined. This may not matter to you, but it matters to a lot of us :)

"Movie realism" would dictate that only four colours of sabre could be chosen: blue, green, red and purple. I think that would be EXTREMELY tedious, myself. Hooray for a lack of movie-realism. :D

The core should naturally remain white, however. It's a lightsabre.

Originally posted by Spider AL

"Movie realism" would dictate that only four colours of sabre could be chosen: blue, green, red and purple. I think that would be EXTREMELY tedious, myself. Hooray for a lack of movie-realism. :D

The core should naturally remain white, however. It's a lightsabre.

I don't mind having a few more colours than just is what is in the movies, but I would rather have a set list of choices, rather than a slider.

And boo on you all for you anti-movie-realism! :D

And boo on you all for you anti-movie-realism! :D
Hehehe, I shall crush the movies wherever I find them! :nut:

Hmm. If I were making the game though, it'd be a hard choice. I'd probably limit the sabres to green/blue and red, if I'm being honest. Because whenever I make anything star-wars related, even addon levels, I invariably become a canon-nazi.

Are you anti-choice people listening to yourselves? With full access to HSL or RGB sliders the number of possible different character customizations would be practically infinite.

Obviously some people will want to stick with the same boring colours they've grown attached to in JK:JO, so the preset colours should be available as well as the sliders.

And for those who are unfortunately afflicted with the delusion that an infinite number of colour choices immediately equals pink and teal (which are valid choices) then there can be server flags that disable the sliders.

Easy, everyone who wants choice and everyone who doesn't gets what they want.

As an aside, on the topic of HSL vs RGB, it is my understanding that both colour systems are capable of representing the same number of colours right? It's only the method they are selected that differs. Having an "either...or" button at the customization screen so that people can choose how they choose colours could be simple. Obviously they would all have to be stored the same way, but that's something that the programmers can bother about.

And for those who are unfortunately afflicted with the delusion that an infinite number ofcolour choices immediately equals pink and teal...
Hey, I would have thought that kissing and waving your butt around yelling "Woohoo!!" wouldn't have been common either. Boy, was I wrong.

And are the insults really necessary? :confused:

Hey, I would have thought that kissing and waving your butt around yelling "Woohoo!!" wouldn't have been common either. Boy, was I wrong.
Bleh. Thanks for reminding me about all that stuff. I worked so hard to block it out. :(

In the first JO tournament I won, Jolt FF duel, my opponent in the final both waved his bottom at me and insulted me. It's a measure of my hatred for buttock-jiggling ingame that I twepped him 6-0. I'm all for freedom of expression on JO servers, but freedom to snog other players? to moon at other players? nurgh.

At a tangent, I have no problem with people using pink sabres, as they're only laying themselves open to massive ribbings. There was a pink sabre in JK, and it was a great gift for a funmaker like me. I remember a fellow called Walrus from the newsgroup a.g.j-k. He used that pink sabre under the impression that it was purple... obviously he was incorrect, and obviously he ended up being called "Wally Pinkstick." Ahh, those were good days.

Why not both?

Have the fixed sabre colours standard and on by default. But, by going into the setup menu have the option of enabling RGB/HSL lightsabre blades. But here's where the real beauty of this comes into play. You only see the RGB/HSL lightsabre blades if you have it enabled. If you don't enable it, the lightsabre blades appear to you as one of the original pre-packaged lightsabre colours that come with Jedi Academy.

So if someone wanted to have themself a teal lightsabre with a purdy pink core and purple polka dots, :rolleyes: they can. But, you don't have to see this kaleidoscopic lightsabre because you didn't enable RGB/HSL lightsabre blades in the option menu. To you it appears as a randomly selected original lightsabre colour that came with Jedi Academy. Hell, red, green, and blue could have the highest probability of being chosen, in order to appeal to canon-nazi's like Al and Prime ;)

This kind of setup would make it so that the whiners can't whine because it's not in there, but if you don't want to see it, then you don't have to. This might even get rid of the animosity between canon-nazi's and sabre-noobies...

*snickers* Yea right, who am I kidding...:D

And yes, it is very possible. It worked like this in JediMod and JediPlus for god's sake, so I'm sure Raven Software could implement it very easily if the makers of these mods could.

EDIT: Never really read the finer details of the thread, but it seems that Stormtrooper X and praenuntius somewhat hinted at this as well, but without the whole "don't see it if you don't enable it" feature. Just so you know, I didn't steal it from you, we were just all kind of going the same way.:D

Originally posted by Reb Starblazer

Have the fixed sabre colours standard and on by default. But, by going into the setup menu have the option of enabling RGB/HSL lightsabre blades. But here's where the real beauty of this comes into play. You only see the RGB/HSL lightsabre blades if you have it enabled. If you don't enable it, the lightsabre blades appear to you as one of the original pre-packaged lightsabre colours that come with Jedi Academy.

I like this idea.

Originally posted by Reb Starblazer

Hell, red, green, and blue could have the highest probability of being chosen, in order to appeal to canon-nazi's like Al and Prime ;)

Ooh! Canon-nazi! I like that too! :)

I believe the best option would be to allow for only adjustment of hue, and limit the amount of saturation and luminosity that can be adjusted. This way you keep out the invisible sabers (where you only see the core 'cause someone turned saturation way down), and keeps out the ugly, superbright colors because some idiot turned the saturation way up.

I think that there should be as much customization as possible, especially now considering there aren't as many races and genders to choose from as we had all hoped.

There should just be lots of server variables that control stuff like limiting colour choice. Or the other idea that I really like (that's been previously mentioned by Reb Starblazer, I believe) is that you can decide how other characters are limited on your own screen. I guess this could be a much more customizable adaptation of the "force player model" setting.

Originally posted by Emon

I believe the best option would be to allow for only adjustment of hue, and limit the amount of saturation and luminosity that can be adjusted. This way you keep out the invisible sabers (where you only see the core 'cause someone turned saturation way down), and keeps out the ugly, superbright colors because some idiot turned the saturation way up.

Yeah that would be the best I think.. Only let ppl choose different shades of blue, green, red etc...

Archived