Home

Antitrust 2: The Return of NURV

Writer

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They went to the restaurant and went in. Milo joined them five minutes later. He greeted them warmly, but then got serious.

"You realize that aside from Gary and his people, we're the only ones who know what's going on," he said. "That puts us in a hard spot. We have to expose him and it won't be as easy as the first time."

"Yeah," Danielle put in. Then she gasped. "He has friends in law enforcement. How else could he have managed that?"

"What makes you say that?" Milo asked sharply. Danielle stood up and left for a moment. When she returned, she was carrying a newspaper. She dropped it on the table.

"Three former NURV Employees Wanted" the headline read.

"He's accusing us of stealing his ideas," she pointed out. Milo shook his head.

"All that means is that he has control of the press," he objected. Danielle frowned.

"Don't you think the police would check on a story like that?" she asked. "Instead, there are some officers questioned who said it had been confirmed."

Milo's head returned to his hands.

"Like I said, I'm open to suggestions," he moaned.

"Beautiful thinking, David," Danielle said sarcastically. "How exactly are we going to get there?"

"Calm down, Danni," Milo said sternly. She shook her head fiercely.

"No way!" she replied. "We're sitting in a restaurant with people trying to kill us. I am not calming down until we are out of this mess. So David, how are we going to get into Gary's house?"

"I can help," an elderly gentleman said. He had been sitting in the booth behind them and had apparently heard their whole conversation. "My wife and I clean his house once a week. That's tomorrow. Care to join us?"

"Do you get near his computer?" Danielle asked sourly.

"Every week," the man replied. Danielle nodded, but Milo was hesitant.

"How do we know you're not working for him?" he asked.

The man laughed. "I do work for him. I'm his janitor!"

Milo shook his head in despair.

"I remember Synapse," the man said. "A man cannot change that quickly. If you can show me evidence that he is still on the wrong track, I'll help you."

"That's enough for me!" the man exclaimed. "You just meet me and my wife here tomorrow at 7 AM. We'll get you into his house as our helpers. Then we'll assign you to his office."

Milo nodded.

"That works," he said. The man rose and left the restaurant without so much as a backward glance and left the three to talk.

"We don't know how much truth was in that," Danielle said quietly. "He might have been trying to take us in to Gary."

"We'll know better tomorrow," Milo said. "Let's go somewhere and get some sleep."

"No," Milo replied. "I dropped nearly everything and came as soon as I could. I had no time to arrange anything and wouldn't want to from my apartment. Gary's probably got my phones bugged. After all, there's virtually no limit to what he can do."

The next morning, Milo, David, and Danielle walked into the restaurant at around 7. The man wasn't there yet so they got something to eat. The man showed up when they were nearly halfway through their meal and ordered something for himself and his wife. Then they got on the road and went to Gary's house.

"You brought some helpers this time?" Gary asked cheerfully. The man nodded. "My kids. My daughter, Emily broke her leg recently, so she won't be doing much."

Danielle held out her left leg, which had been wrapped in a cast. Gary smiled, apparently not recognizing her. In fact, he didn't seem to recognize any of them and there was a good reason for it. They didn't look like normal.

Danielle, aside from the cast, had brown eyes and blonde hair. David's face looked at least ten years older and he had streaks of gray in his hair. Milo had dropped his glasses and had green eyes and red hair.

"Come on in and get started," Gary said kindly. He turned to Danielle. "I'll find something for you to do."

He got her started on the riding lawn mower.

"After all," he said, "we don't want you on that leg. This may not be one of the things your dad usually does, but I'll pay you to do it this time. Better to have you working than sitting in that van all day, right?"

David had finally gotten to the computer. The old man told him that Gary was finally out of the house. David carefully opened up the computer, took out the hard drive, connected it with a special cable to his computer and inspected it. He added identical files to another hard drive and inserted that one into Gary's computer. In one of the files he had added a bug, it would send anything Gary did to his computer.

"I'm done" He said to the old man.

Archived