Home

Whats the use of going to the darkside? There is really no motive.

DracoFXB

I just got through watching a 21 minuete video interview of KOTOR. If you havent seen it, you can view it by going to this URL => http://www.xblgamers.com/KOTOR/

I have Windows Media Player 9 and it played on it well. It is said that you need WMP9 for it to work, is that true, I don't know.

But anyways the guy was talking about the game and stuff and then he got to the main point that I really wanted to hear, the darkside stuff. First off I like how if you turn to the DS your face features will start to look more evil and your eyes would sink in and all that stuff. I like that feature. That was about it. Let me start a new paragraph now as I can see I'm going to have a field day with this.

Then the guy started to say that even though I'm on the darkside, my NPCs still stay with me as they believe that I will come back to the lightside. In a way I somewhat accept that but they should atleast come to the DS with me or leave me as a whole. Second, he was saying that even though I'm on the DS, Darth Malak still wants to kill me. That sucks, I thought they said that the storyline changes and stuff once you turn to the darkside. That means that I should be a bad guy and be a helper to Lord Malak. Instead, the story "As he said" is still the same as I try to kill Malak. Thats stupid. Also when you are on the Darkside, you are just as powerful as a lightside Jedi. Again that sucks and is so untrue as said by Yoda in Empire Strikes Back, the DS is the more powerful side.

I was one of the many people who will have a darkside jedi in the game. Now I'm starting to side with my brother and just play with the lightside.....BECAUSE THERE IS NO MOTIVE REALLY TO PLAY ON THE DARKSIDE!!!!

You may say "Well you get a red saber if you goto the DS" Thats not true because when the game starts and stuff, all you have to do is go on your ship and change the color of your saber to red whenever you want. You just need to find crystals and stuff to make it more powerful. So thats out of the picture. I can understand if only the red saber was there for DS people so that would give you a motive to turn to the DS so that you can wield a red saber. Hell thats one of the reasons why I wanted to be on the DS and liked the DS, but now since you can chance your saber color to red at anytime, hell I can be on the LS and have a red saber.

Second, the storyline. Yes the storyline somewhat changes, but its basiclly the same. I mean, your NPCs is still there (If you ask me, when you turn to the DS, your NPCs should leave you and new evil ones should join.) so that sucks. Plus Malak is still after you. The storyline should change and Malak should like you and you should do things for him, that would be very cool and very Anakin Skywalker like as you could goto the DS because you didn't like the ways of the Jedi now you can become evil and go against the Jedi. Thats not there though and it should have.

Turning to the DS in this game is no more then just a pleasure of saying "I'm on the Darkside" Because you don't get anything special.

There should be a motive for you to stay on the LS as you get certain special exclusive LS only features/options/abilties/items. And there should be a motive for you to sway to the DS as you get certain special exclusive DS only features/options/abilities/items. By doing this the player will really have to chose what he wants. "If I stay on the LS I can have that, but if I goto the DS I could do this" And so on....

Being on the darkside in this game is just a pleasure of saying you are on the DS.

If there is/was one thing that I hated about KOTOR, this would be it.

Overall, I'm still going to like this game and will be the best SW game and maybe the best game I ever played.

People, please and your comments. Agree with me or flame me.

A very interesting topic, lord Tyrell. Allow me to comment...

I was one of the many people who will have a darkside jedi in the game. Now I'm starting to side with my brother and just play with the lightside.....BECAUSE THERE IS NO MOTIVE REALLY TO PLAY ON THE DARKSIDE!!!!
Well, we already know that the Dark Side is bad/evil, and such... however, the developers have said that there will be several twists in the storyline in which you might even feel justified to use the Dark Side.

You may say "Well you get a red saber if you goto the DS" Thats not true because when the game starts and stuff, all you have to do is go on your ship and change the color of your saber to red whenever you want. You just need to find crystals and stuff to make it more powerful. So thats out of the picture. I can understand if only the red saber was there for DS people so that would give you a motive to turn to the DS so that you can wield a red saber. Hell thats one of the reasons why I wanted to be on the DS and liked the DS, but now since you can chance your saber color to red at anytime, hell I can be on the LS and have a red saber.
There's more to it than just the red saber. If you'll use the Light Side, you'll still have access to Dark Side powers, but you would never be able to reach their full potential. Heck, if you're way to the Light Side, then Force Lightning would be about as harmful as me poking you. If you'd go the Dark Side, you'll have access to the powers that it offers, which might benefit you.

Second, the storyline. Yes the storyline somewhat changes, but its basiclly the same. I mean, your NPCs is still there (If you ask me, when you turn to the DS, your NPCs should leave you and new evil ones should join.) so that sucks. Plus Malak is still after you. The storyline should change and Malak should like you and you should do things for him, that would be very cool and very Anakin Skywalker like as you could goto the DS because you didn't like the ways of the Jedi now you can become evil and go against the Jedi. Thats not there though and it should have.
There is, apparantly, a point in the storyline(about 7/8th into the game) in which you'll make your choice on wether you'll stay true to the Light Side, or succumb to the Dark Side. From what I've seen/heard, the story WILL be different. You will even become a Sith. Also, the developers have already said that NPCs will leave you after awhile when you have crossed the line in their eyes. I don't think/know wether there will be any NPCs to replace those whom you lost. Maybe you can grab a few Sith troopers.

There should be a motive for you to stay on the LS as you get certain special exclusive LS only features/options/abilties/items. And there should be a motive for you to sway to the DS as you get certain special exclusive DS only features/options/abilities/items. By doing this the player will really have to chose what he wants. "If I stay on the LS I can have that, but if I goto the DS I could do this" And so on....
Like I said, the storyline will be altered somewhat, as well as the choice of the NPCs. Plus, there is a bit about the Force Powers, isn't there? And there are also exclusive scenes. For example :

At one point in the game, you will have to deal with the Sith Academy on Korriban. Should you be on the Light side, you'll infiltrate it and gather information. If you're more on the Dark Side, you will actually join the Sith Academy and learn from the teachers there

Besides the excellent answers that Burrie provided--

The devs simply stated that with the dark side you become more powerful easier. We know this from the movies also. You don't get more powerful than the light side, but just get there quicker. From what I remember at least. ;)

And besides, who wouldn't want to be evil one time through? :p

Indeed... the Dark Side can also be seen as the quick and easy route. Another example...

On Manaan, you will apparantly need to get past some large beast there. The Light Siders can try to sneak by it. The Dark Siders, however, can use an option that will poison the waters, instantly killing the beast. Of course, there will be some reprecussions for the Kolto export, and the prices might rise a bit, but you would've accomplished your mission.

Aside from the typical post from Burrie, :p

I'm sure there are many other reasons to go to the darkside, even if it is just to be a badass. :D

There are major differences in story too, like the Sith Academy that was mentioned somewhere else, where as a Darkie, your character trains there, or as a lighty, you have to sneak through.

Customize your character, and go to war with the Sith, but in an interesting twist, the choices you make throughout your adventure will determine whether you use the force for good or succumb to the Dark Side.

... from the Gamers.com preview.

It says that you actually (...in one way or the other) can go to war with the Sith. Anyways just a little add on to make you happy Lord-Tyrell.

Originally posted by Lord-Tyrell

Then the guy started to say that even though I'm on the darkside, my NPCs still stay with me as they believe that I will come back to the lightside. ....Again that sucks and is so untrue as said by Yoda in Empire Strikes Back, the DS is the more powerful side.

Yoda didn't say the darkside was more powerful he said it's quicker more seductive(GL said it in an interview all these years later but Yoda didn't).

Becoming evil doesn't make you an ally of others who are evil. Why would Malak want you to join him if you were a possible threat to his power.

Making complaints about the story right now is ridiculous because you don't know the details of the story. For all you know the PC could be going after Malak for vengeance. Turning evil wouldn't make the PC join Malak but use dark methods to get that vegeance. There's no telling. No one has any details.

They've already said that playing as a dark side character will be different than playing as a light side one. Different mission will be opened to each side that aren't open to the other. Different endings. Different reactions from characters throught the different locations and even your party members. Also, it is possible for members of your party to leave you(they've said this many times).

You wont really see the differences in the story until we all get the game and have different experiences from each other.

But no one can convince you to do what you don't want to do. It's just that your complaints have a lot to do with story and that's the least we know about this game right now.

PS The link in your sig asks for a password to that forum.

Well, you fight Malak if you're DS because you want to TAKE HIS PLACE AND RULE THE GALAXY (I guess)!

THE DARKSIDE IS NOT more powerful.

You get FORCE LIGHTNING and DRAIN and darkside powers that are COOLER than lightside powers (although I personally think the lightside is cooler than the darkside overall).

On Manaan, you will apparantly need to get past some large beast there. The Light Siders can try to sneak by it. The Dark Siders, however, can use an option that will poison the waters, instantly killing the beast. Of course, there will be some reprecussions for the Kolto export, and the prices might rise a bit, but you would've accomplished your mission.

SWEET!

If you highlight the Censored "spoiler" stuff you can read it, lol, too bad i already knew that.

But to the point it would be really dumb if you joined Malak on the dark side, and i am gad it isnt happning. Also i think by the dark side it stronger they meani n combat, the dark side is all beating on other people, where as the light side is a lot of healing and stuff.

Originally posted by Seifer02

If you highlight the Censored "spoiler" stuff you can read it, lol, too bad i already knew that.

That's the purpose of it. It gives those that don't mind reading spoilers a chance to read them and those who don't can just ignore them.

If they have the willpower that is. :)

But to the point it would be really dumb if you joined Malak on the dark side, and i am gad it isnt happning. Also i think by the dark side it stronger they meani n combat, the dark side is all beating on other people, where as the light side is a lot of healing and stuff.
I personally don't think it'll be dumb if you joined Malak. Hell, if this were a PnP session, I just might play a character that is honestly fascinated by Malak's power, and I'd try to join him. If there is an option to actually join Malak(and mayhaps backstab him later on), I'd be more than happy to follow that path.

Many people is saying that LucasArts or BioWare stated that the NPCs would later on leave you if you are on the DS. Can anyone please give me a link to which they said that?

Also someone said that he needed a password when he viewed the link in my sig. Well first you need to sign up with the forums first before you can view that countdown thread. Go ahead and join, its really good. Burrie has already joined and contributed to the thread.

Check the unofficial FAQ at the official site which has statements from the developers. Check this one out, the entry will interest you...

THE FORCE - TURNING TO THE DARK SIDE

(James Ohlen, Casey Hudson)

Several things happen as you turn to the dark side. As a Force user, you gain access to dark side powers such as choke, force lightning and other new force powers. Your character sheet avatar also changes as you become more evil. It's actually quite cool - the background lighting becomes red and your character's pose becomes more sinsister. Your romances take a different road as you walk down the dark path.

NPCs do comment on your actions in the game. At certain points during the story your actions can cause party members to leave or even attack you.

Whats the use of going to the darkside?

Because it rocks! Who doesn't want to walk around with black/red robes flowing around, beatin everybody down.

Besides, you need to appease to everybody out there, a game where you automatically turn to the light side sounds kinda, dull to me. Once they've given us the chance to taste the power of the dark side(JK comes to mind) some don't want to go back ;)

Originally posted by boinga1

Well, you fight Malak if you're DS because you want to TAKE HIS PLACE AND RULE THE GALAXY (I guess)

this is true, just because youre both on the the dark side doesnt mean that youre friends,probably the other way around, he might see you as a threath.(although i wouldnt mind being the apprentice to the Dark Lord of the Sith!);)

Indeed... the Dark Side can also be seen as the quick and easy route. Another example...

Originally posted by Hannibal

Yoda didn't say the darkside was more powerful he said it's quicker more seductive(GL said it in an interview all these years later but Yoda didn't).

Becoming evil doesn't make you an ally of others who are evil. Why would Malak want you to join him if you were a possible threat to his power.

Making complaints about the story right now is ridiculous because you don't know the details of the story. For all you know the PC could be going after Malak for vengeance. Turning evil wouldn't make the PC join Malak but use dark methods to get that vegeance. There's no telling. No one has any details.

They've already said that playing as a dark side character will be different than playing as a light side one. Different mission will be opened to each side that aren't open to the other. Different endings. Different reactions from characters throught the different locations and even your party members. Also, it is possible for members of your party to leave you(they've said this many times).

You wont really see the differences in the story until we all get the game and have different experiences from each other.

But no one can convince you to do what you don't want to do. It's just that your complaints have a lot to do with story and that's the least we know about this game right now.

PS The link in your sig asks for a password to that forum.

When it comes to the matters of the force at least cannon wise, it is a tool. Example, any Jedi can use lightning (using the force to focuss electricity from own body or concentrating electrons together) however a lightside Jedi might feel that using the force in such a cruel, torturing way can have dangerous affects on ones own mind, not accomplishing ones goal to defend, end conflicts. Whereas a dark jedi may feel vengeance or a desire to show his power and strength which connects with the agressive attitude of the darkside.

'

So you see its not a list of holocrons that jedi choose from Heal, push, pull, NO; Jedi study all powers and all abilities however some powers as brought out may be too dangerous and have stimed from the darkside (illustrated by the facts that during the prequel era only jedi masters study the sith holocron).

All jedi become angry at some point, the question is what happens when they are, do they give in thus gaining a momentary boost in speed and strength. ALl it does as we seen it happen to Anakin is unlock ones potential for the time the anger is hot, however as Yoda showed its better to train and earn it slowly but surely.

Imagine an average Jedi becoming furious then becoming very powerful in that moment to become formidable, however once the anger subsides then he finds he can't unlock some of his potential when needed, thus the seduction of the darkside becomes stronger as he needs it more.

That is also the difference between the SITH and just dark jedi.

The Sith have a work ethic matching the jedi. The sith control and maintain their anger,hate, and agressiveness, and they also use forebidden knowledge of the force to the jedi. Not to mention the sith use some virtues of the jedi if it furthers they're goal. They are truly the most fearsome force in the galaxy.

The game is no different, its not role playing card games. The force is more mental, metaphysical, phsycological, than just raw power. Its how its applied that matters, and the Lightside Jedi are always in control

Originally posted by Naphtali

That is also the difference between the SITH and just dark jedi.

The Sith have a work ethic matching the jedi. The sith control and maintain their anger,hate, and agressiveness, and they also use forebidden knowledge of the force to the jedi.

I agree with you totally Naphtali except I think the Jedi control and release their anger. The Sith control and harness theirs. So they both control their anger it's just that the Jedi are goody two shoes and release it. ;)

Archived