Home

Monkey island 3 for mac?

Ooshmaster

Does ScummVM work better than, say, VirtualPC? I tried running CMI on VirtualPC...needless to say it didn't work. Froze after about five minutes.

Believe me Oosh, you're not the only one who'd like to see a CMI for Mac. Actually, what I'd really like to see is a rerelease of the Mac versions of MI1 and 2 with a Mac-able CMI all in one set, like they sell for the PC.

Until then, it looks like I'll be looking for this ScummVM.

Probably he was just lucky. I've never had any luck with VirtualPC. I tried running the first two MI games on it, too, before I got Mac versions of them...they both froze any time I went into a bar. (Just my luck--I probably got the only copy of VirtualPC that frowned on underage drinking!)

By the way, Remi, is there a version of ScummVM for Mac OS 9? I've only been able to find an OS X version.

ScummVM is only available fror MacOS X. There was a 9 port of the really old versions but nobody is supporting 9 anymore that I know of. All ports you'll find for 9 are too old to have any CMI support.

In all honesty, if your computer is too old to run MacOS X, you probably wouldn't have a chance of running CMI at a playable speed anyway. If you do have a computer that can run MacOS X you should have upgraded a year ago, man. Get with the times. :)

And yes, ScummVM plays CMI almost perfectly. I think there might be some problems with the ship combat section, but maybe even those work? I have played through most of CMI on my Mac using ScummVM, straight off the Windows CD's.

On my 450mhz G3, CMI runs at full speed (if I quit almost everything but the Finder), which is far better than any performance I ever got out of VirtualPC, which always seemed to have a 2 second lag with the audio, if it ever ran at all.

(side note: Virtual PC won't play Monkey 1 or 2 at all. The video mode they use seems to crash it. VPC will play CMI though, it just does a crappier job than ScummVM)

What sort of Macs are you guys wanting to use to play CMI?

My computer's not that far off from yours, Jake. It's a 400mhz G3 iMac, running 9.1. I'd put OS X on this thing, but to be honest, I doubt it would like it much...this computer has some serious problems with system upgrades. We've got another computer in the house that would probably handle OS X just fine (733mhz G4), but it's my father's computer. And to be honest, I think that OS X scares him.

Well, I'll be getting a new computer in a year or so, and that will have OS X...

Archived