Jo

Bump...:)

I'd kinda like to hear about this too.

P4 2.0

512 DDR

GeF4 ti4200 128mb

WD 60gig 7200rpm HD

and a puny 56k connection

I would like to play the game but i'm afraid that with the 56k the lag would be unbarable and I don't want to waste the money to get the game and have it sit on the shelf till I can get to the broadband nirvana that is college. I know people say that is only gets laggy in cities, which i could deal with, I probably wouldn't play too much in peak times that would help

Any input is great, espically that from 56k'ers such as myself and MasterJo

To be honest, I'm not sure, but I've heard really good feedback from other 56k people, if that makes you feel any better! ;)

The only real thing they griped at was the update downloads. You know, being the size they are... sometimes 20 megs or whatver. It does take a while longer to download, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be that many problems!

Greetings.

I used to play alot of games online using 56k including EQ , Unreal , Ghost Recon .. and they are fine.

I cant see SWG being too much of a brunt on 56k as Lucas / Sony would not want to push that amount of ppl away from the game.

Yes you will probably get some lag ** more so in cities ** but then so do cable , t1 , etc..

I now have cable and yep lag in some areas * lots of people , cities etc *..

I would'nt think using a 56k will make the game unplayable :)

I'm having some problems with internet connections. I'd successfully log in to the Wanderhome server and I can play for about twenty minutes or less but I keep on losing connection with the servers, but my internet connection is fine. I am using a Cable modem and hooked up with a router. Would the router have any affect with this game? This is really ruining the game for me.

Greetings.

The router could have something to do with it.. i done some searching and suggest you goto this link..

I was gonna copy and paste the whole thing buts its a bit big covering all different types :)

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/content.jsp?page=Tech%20Support%20Routers

that should work i think.. if not just goto

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com then tech support and into routers area :)

Just fixed the link, that's all

IM sorry, i dont think this thread addresses Router problems...take that to your own thread...i still am waiting for anyother takers on feedback about running SWG with 56k modem.

I suggest to anyone with any performance worries...load up on as much DDR ram as your motherboard lets you. It dramatically increases everything, and will also make signal transfer rates from modem to motherboard and vice versa translate faster (math-based at least)

Whoever said in the computer world, "More Ram is great," is right.

But a 56K should be okay...but anymore you can get DSL for like 29.99$ a month...so check that out too.

Trust me...if we could have dsl. we would have it in a heart beat. it is 25.99 in a town 7 MILES from us...but they dont offer it here...that is what sucks about it and why i am asking.

And hence the reason I wrote:

"To be honest, I'm not sure, but I've heard really good feedback from other 56k people, if that makes you feel any better!

The only real thing they griped at was the update downloads. You know, being the size they are... sometimes 20 megs or whatver. It does take a while longer to download, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be that many problems!"

"Apparently it isn't really that bad... the lag when you enter cities is meant to be a little jittery until it catches up, and the obvious downloads would take longer, but its not meant to be all that bad...

Hope that sways your decision!"

Even the god damn admin wrote:

"Yes, you can play on a 56K modem.

And that's straight up."

HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU NEED? :mad:

Hello......I play with a 56k connection and i lose connection every 5 hours or so.....and then i log back in wich takes 3 minutes and i play untill i lose connection again...so what i am trying to say is that 56k works excelent.......also i do get jitters when i enter cantinas and cities....but that lasts about 3 seconds........i used to play the game without the disk in......but i learnd that for some reson it runs smother with the disk in so heads up on that one.......:D

Ok here is for EVERYONES INFO.

I have done a real test for myself on this DSL and 56K connection question. Let me start by saying that my 56K connection at my house works PERFECT. I don't even get the jitters in town.

I had SWG playing on the same Computer at my dad’s house with his BellSouth DSL connection, when I was watching his house last week. This week I took my computer back to my house where I only have AOL 56K dialup access and let me tell you so far I have not had a drop or a jitter at all. It's hard to write this and not think I'm going to get slammed from all the Fast Access people but my America on-line connection dialup runs better than my father’s DSL line. I will have to say his DSL line has always had problems ever since day one.

So, If you are thinking about getting this game and only have a 56K connection and are worried about not being about to handle the game, DON'T. I know that its more important to have more Ram (512meg or more) than faster connection with this game. I tryed this game on my dads computer (256 meg) before mine over his house and it worked great for a few hours then I think the RAM started to get full and I started to get the jitters until I tried my computer. ALL Can Enjoy SWG.

RAM is no problem to me. I have 768 MB, plus what is on the Videeo card which i think is in the 100's. Second, NeoVampyre, it's not that I have selected hearing. You gave me excellent help with deciding if i should ask to get this game. It's that you gave me feedback from other users when Kaiser had his own personal experiences with it. I much prefered finding out the persons opinion from those personal experiences. Now with that said, I have come to the decision to ask for SWGalaxies for xmas. By then it should have a few bugs worked out in the first place. Now I just have to figure out the montly fee problem:P

Actually, I have about $13.76 in change saved up from June till now. And I'm sure I can work a deal out with my parents to do something special every month into my monthly payment....Maybe i can turn some of the lawn stuff into credit for my game.

yes...but you gotta have all the money up front...the only prob with that is if i got it, im not sure i would play if for 6 months...much less 3..especially with KOTOR an JA coming out also.

Archived