Home

Official "My first Impressions"-Thread

Com Raven

Well I got KOTOR yesterdat at EB and only had a chance to play a little bit. I got through the first part (possible spoiles) which was to get off the Ender Spire. The first part is basically a tutorial on how to play the game but there is fighting invloved. the system actually is pretty neat. It is a quasi turn based system. The reason I say that is becauase it is turned based esentially but you don't have to wait for people to take there turns and attack it all happens real-time. You can stack up to 4 attacks which it will use in the order they are in I believe or you can just attack and pick what you want to do. Which is what I did so far. Example. You have a regular attack, a rapid fire and let's say some grenades. You can click on rapid fire and it will shoot and then click on grenade and it will launch a greande. Doesn't take much to get used to it and it works well. So far I am impressed and think this is going to be an awesome game.

Ezio

the game is great its just that im sick of Taris i wanna see mountains gandof mountains opps thats lord of the rings

i mean i want to get the ebon hawk and all the party members and get the heck out of dodge lol.

im tryin to find mission and zalbar in the undercity right now

Whoa buddy...

I've been playing the game for about an hour and a half and I can not even begin to describe it. The story is flat out incredible already. The dialogue with the NPC's and other characters is the best I've seen in any game. The action scenes are truly amazing. When I first used two duel vibroblades against a Sith trooper, it looked as good as the movies. Very cinematic.

The graphics are top-notch.

I can't keep going or I'll start spilling spoilers and this review could last forever.

If anyone has any specific questions, they can PM me. ;)

THE GAME IS INCREDIBLE!!!! :D

The one thing I love about the game so far is its fluidity. Its so simple yet engaging. Ususally Video Game RPG can daunting, i.e. Morrowind. That is because I'm not really a fan of the Video Game RPG. However, KOTOR is really something totally different. Well at least in its mechanics and applications. Everything from the interaction with NPC to the battles, is extremely intuitive. This is what I was hoping Morrowind would have been. This is an excellent game to introduce RPGs for those that don't like them or have yet to play them. Good job, Bioware!

Could someone give a detailed analysis and explanation of the combat system? That's what I'm really interested in. Don't be afraid to put spoilers in it (just mark it for those who don't want to see them, and I should tell you that I've never played an rpg in my life)

Combat begins when you first lock onto an enemy. If auto-pause is on then the game will pause. At this point you can start queing up attacks (sorry about the spelling). If auto-pause isn't enabled, you can decide to attack or just walk away (you can also do this with auto-pause). Once target is locked, pressing 'A' will engage the enemy with normal attacks. You can also use special attacks like flurry or critical strike/rapid shot or sniper shot.

You cycle through targets with the triggers.

You can disengage combat mode, but the enemy will still attack you.

Combat is actually automatic, so if you set it up right you never have to press a button once. Even on real-time, reflexes and buttons have no impact on the outcome. However strategy and attack selection will greatly affect the outcome.

Also, grenades are greatly useful against some tougher enemies...just don't get yourself in the blast.

Any more specifics feel free to ask.

Great, addicting game.:D

First off I must say star wars is one of the greatest movies, games, and books ever created.

I've played many star wars games and have enjoyed everyone that I have played but they all seem to be missing something. Outcast came very close but lacked in the fact that you never really had anyone control over the growth of Kyle. Well when I heard about kotor I got really excited. Rpg, star wars, jedi, lightsaber oh my. I waited for this game for some time and it finally came out and here is my 20 hour review of this game.

Graphics----7

The reason I gave the graphics a 7 is well because they arent really that good. I mean they are better than some but I've seen better.

Sound----10

10 and it deserves it I mean who doesn't get chills when you here that lightsaber flying through the air.

Now this might hurt a bit

Gameplay----3

I believe out of all the reviews I've seen I rate this lower than anyone else. My reason is because I want to control my player in combat. I mean what is the use of having a lightsaber if you can't even use it. Another problem with game play is the camera its always having to be adjusted. I even told it to stay behind me in the options menu. Number two you have 3 people in your team if you wanted to run from a battle and you are already engaged well you but just start over. There are only a couple of reasons why you would want to run. The main reason is because you are getting killed. Well if you have played it you know that you can't leave an area unless your whole team is with you so you run off to regroup and your other two stay and die so now its only you and you can't leave the area because your other team members are laying on the ground.

Fun----8

Its still star wars

Value----5

Well if the game play would have been better and the graphics better then the value would have been better. Isn't that why you buy a game.

Overall----6.6

I guess I will just keep waiting for the perfect star wars game to come out.

If you want to control your charcter FPS style, then I recommend you NOT PLAY RPGS!!!! People, that's the whole point of an RPG! So you're not controlling, but use strategy and have custom charcters!!! You want to FPS, get Jedi Outcast, or wait for Jedi Academy. But don't give it a 6.6 just because you want to FPS. That's just not fair. And just some advice-know your product before you buy it. Thank you.[/rant]

While I don't agree with his score, T4 did bring up a valid point. When you get into trouble, there's not much chance of running from it. A few times in the game I really wanted to bail, but couldn't. Because if i would get one guy out, then switch up to get the others out. The orginal character i just pulled out would go chargin back in.

As for the camera always needing to be adjusted, I iked that. In fact, i thought it needed to be more adjustable at times. Cause it was just some cool action i was missing.

But, now that I've been playing the game for bit, I do have some thoughts on it. (scaling on 1-10, 10 being the best).

Graphics- 8: Not too shabby. The glow of the lightsabers and the over all glow of all lighting was great. However it appeared to be very jaggy. I'm curious what platform they were using to take screen shots. And I'm also going to be writing them to see if I can resolve it. So don't worry about this too much.

Sound-10: No surprise here. It's lucasarts. It's Star Wars. It's great sound. Especially the voice acting. Really sold the story.

Gameplay-9: All except for a few glurbs, this is a great playing experience.

Value-10000: Holy geeze this game has a lot of stuff in it. Light side, Dark side, bounties, mini-quests, mini-games, little open ended, and much more. The 50 bucks for this game seems like a deal!

Overall-9.8: Due to just a few bugs/problems I can't give it a 10. But don't look too deeply into it. This is one hell of a game. Easily my favorite game on any console, action, rpg, or otherwise.

Final thoughts: A an excellent game. Though the battle system they have set wound up being a double edged sword. While it was perfect so you can organize your thoughts, plan attacks, and everything else. The ability to save/pause/re-equip at any time leads to a slightly easier than average game. There were only 2 parts so far where I was killed because enemies just overpowered me.

Thankfully the story more than makes up for it. And this game, I foresee, will be played a LOT before I finally put it up to play the sequel(i hope i hope i hope).

I personally want to thank Bioware and Lucasarts for developing, possibly, the best RPG on the planet. I've enjoyed every minute of the 20+ hours I put into this thing and look forward to playing again and again.

Just a response back to everyone who left a reply.

Kotor if I'm not mistaken is what they call a western style rpg. I personally think this was a bad move for this game. I love the story involved with it and it's what keeps me coming back for more. Boinga1 there are plenty of rpgs out there that allow you to control your player the whole game. Ex. Morrowind, coming soon Fable (can't wait to see how that one develops), and Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm not here to make any enemies and I know that games are not going to be perfect. But I'd have to say my biggest complaint is there isn't enough freedom involved in the game. I mean you stay on the same thing the whole game and all the side missions tie into the main mission. I just wish lucas arts would look into making a rpg that lets you have total freedom like Morrowind. Kotor is a great game and i was wrong for judging it harshly because it wasn't what a wanted. I'd change my review to 8 and I stand strong on that because there are some things they could improved on. Thanks

I've had the game every since it came out and I have beat the game but I'll tell you what I still can't comprehend how amazing this game is. My head is still trying to process the increadible story. I'm on my second playthroug and I still just can't get enough of this game.

Originally posted by Com Raven

japanese rpg's usually have a very tight story corset

And high level caps

Still thinking about FFVIII when I trained all my characters to level 100 when the final boss was so easy...

• 2 months later...

I Might be getting it today! yay!

I can't wait! I'll post what I think as soon as I can be wedged out of my seat infront of the TV later. So far, from what i've read, I'm thinking it's good because it's not a typical hack 'n' slash "I have a +43 Klurmincl'cd'seqw sword" thing, like most RPG's. It's more strategy involved so will make it alot more challenging and fun:D

The graphics are awsome aswell. I can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Morrowind, so at first, I found KOTOR very awkward, especially the way fighting is handled. But as I got farther along, and realized I'm controlling three characters, I was glad to take a backseat and just work on the feats, skills, and "remedies" portion of the action.

I thought I wanted GOTY MW for Christmas, but I'm thinking KOTOR (rented for a week and I know I won't complete it!) now!

M

I'll admit,forever to regret when I first played it (endar spire) I was thinking: what the hell wheres the action the sabers the force the adrenaline. But now a month later I'm like: Oh yea. Fighting throught the star forge is the best part.

(can't say spoiler but if some1 doesn't want to know anything then don't read) All those Dark Jedi coming out of doors slashing at you. I take out my saber and enjoy the taste of their blood!!!!! with out the total review I can say: overall 1000000000000000000000000000.

Three word will some it up:

Best Game Ever!!!:fett::biggs::deathii::deathstar:band::atat::amidala::c3po::confused:

Archived