Home

Lance Armstrong Wins Fifth-Straight Tour de France

jaf, my point is that Armstrong is not only a champion, he is also a survivor:

The man who had been featured in attention grabbing headlines such as "Du Pont Dominator" and "The Golden Boy of American Cycling," was literally forced off his bike in excruciating pain in October of 1996. Tests revealed advanced testicular cancer that had spread to his lungs and his brain. A press conference held on October 9th announced the stunning news to the world. This athletic and vibrant young man would be operated on twice in the ensuing weeks - once to remove the malignant testicle, and then dramatic brain surgery to remove the cancer that had spread upward. Chances for his recovery were far less than 50/50 as a frightened-but-determined Lance began an aggressive form of chemotherapy. At the time still in its proving stages, this "cocktail" of chemicals (called "VIP" - Ifosfamide, Etoposide, and Platinol) gave him the chance for a full recovery with far less danger of losing lung capacity as a side effect. While it weakened him well beyond anything he had ever experienced, he had a deep well of reserves and the unconditional support of family and friends. Remarkably, the chemotherapy began to work and Lance gradually allowed his thoughts to return to racing. He began riding and training only five months after his diagnosis, still uncertain of his future in the sport, but a profoundly grateful and resolute man.

Cancer left him scarred physically and emotionally, but he now maintains it was an unexpected gift; a viewpoint that is shared by many cancer survivors. Getting cancer was "...the best thing that ever happened to me," Lance said, in relation to the maturity and life focus the disease forced him to face.

Lance Armstrong: A Biography

I don't really give a damn if you're gonna treat this as some sort of nationalistic pissing match. I don't give a damn if he's an American, a Spaniard, a Japanese, or whatever. My admiration transcends race and nationality. Lance Armstrong is one of my personal heroes not because he represented my country, but because he is a magnificent human being.

Originally posted by Homoludens

I don't really give a damn if you're gonna treat this as some sort of nationalistic pissing match.

If it was a nationalistic pissing match I've no doubt my fellow Brits would win.

Oh, I see what you mean. :amidala: (I have no idea what the hell that smiley means, it just seemed appropriate somehow).

No doubt about it, Lance Armstrong must be some kind of superman to overcome what he has. Congrats to him.

JRThomas - second place is no discrage in this tournament. Just finishing the race is a huge achievement - I'm sure as hell I couldn't do it (not even a short stage).

:D Well, Curt, if you must 'piss'.... I'm extremely proud of all the participants in the race, particularly the finalists. I can't ever even imagine myself doing that, the longest I ever cycle these days is five blocks to the commuter train station.

But when I used to live in the city I regularly rode my mountain bike up and down the lakefront during summer, a total of about 3-4 miles everyday. I look forward to moving back into town and doing that again.

Originally posted by Homoludens

he is a magnificent human being.

Agreed. It boggles the mind. Not enough for me to actually read the article, but whatever. No one ever said *I* had to be a magnificent human being.

And I should add Kraftwerk to my amazon wishlist.

Archived