Home

A couple questions?

-Anybody know where I can find a pretty complete list of graphic adventure / text games on the net? :confused:

Ever since I joined this group I keep remembering games I don't have or finding about some I didn't know about....

My want / checklist is getting bigger everyday....:(

It would be easier to just find a complete list on the internet....

-Scumm VM rules, but its only for Lucasarts games (and a few others)...

But still Monkey Island I and II don't have sound with or without Scumm VM! :( (The music is the best part...)

Yesterday I spent hours trying to play old Pc games, and very few worked...

Does anybody know a webpage that has tips on running old games? And one for applications that slow my PC or manage the memory for those PC games that requiere over 500 Kb of memory to run?:confused:

My Monkey Island Marathon is ruined:cry8:

But at least I got Beneath a Steel Sky and Hopkins FBI in the mail today!

And my final question is:

Has anybody done a game "marathon"?

You know, playing all the titles form one saga (Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight...) or a bunch of games from the same author or company?:confused:

I hope this wasn't too long but I'm sure I'm not the only one with these problems....:D

-I don't know for sure, you might check http://www.mobygames.com (genre: adventure).

This site lists almost every game, I think.

There are user reviews, screenshots, information about developers.

The underdogs is also interesting; a lot of games (even recent ones) are mentioned and you can download some abandonware (=/= abandonwarez; the underdogs is nowadays 100% legal, I think!!)

-I do have music in MI1/2 with ScummVM (OS: win98se)

only with Sam & Max I have some problems; no music (voices and sound are OK). But on another primary partition with the same OS it 's OK.

-old programs in general:

http://www.oldskool.org/pc/help/oldonnew/

is the most complete overview I've ever found until today.

Things that I personally tried to run old games: 1)Abandon Loader (with vdmsound on winxp) -> didn't work that well. (couldn't get midi sound to work)

2)Using a msdos bootdisk with dos sounddrivers for your audio card, sometimes in combination with a slowdown utility like moslo or slowdown (use google to find those) -> sometimes good results, but voices in LEC adventures still hang after every sentence, while GK1 crashed in the beginning (and I could play that one just fine in win98se, because you can choose a lot of soundcards and especially irq-settings in the setup of that particular game ).

-a marathon: not really, I did replay MI1, MI2 and FoA all together once, though (something like 1 hour per game -> switching). That was just because I was so excited that I could finally replay them. :D

Thanks... but...

Mobygames is too imprecise... half of the games they have clasiffied as adventure are not.... they have Megaman, the old blue bomber in the adventure section!!

And the adventure archiv is in german.... but its better than Mobygames because all the games they had in the list WERE adventures...:(

You can translate the site using the link in the top right corner of the page :)

I know I have a webiste which appantly lists all AGs, alphbettically and by author too I think, though I'm not sure. I have it somewhere in my favorites, so it'll take a while to find :p.

I was planning to read throgh all the games and check reviews of them (the site has links to reviews too i think), then decide if I should add them to my wanted list. I'll add most decent games, and make a list of all games I want to play/own :D.

Anyway I'll look for it :).

A marathon is a good idea, especcially a marathon of several of your favorite games, with small breaks :p.

Would be very fun. :)

If you haven't already, Tanu, try ScummVM Quick and Easy in combination with ScummVM. Make sure you try the "Windows MIDI" and "Adlib" options for the games where you're having problems.

As for gaming marathons, I do like to replay games in order (from MI1 to MI4 for instance), but not all in one session! I don't understand those people who feel the need to replay their adventures in under an hour... why not savour it? These people are usually the same people who talk about "beating" a game...

...er, yes. Ignore that tangent. Ahem.

One sitting is nice for full immersion in a long game or a series of games, but one hour good god! I can't complete a 4th of a game that long! :p

IMO I am fully capabale of sitting for 10 hours (with breaks) to complete a game, heh.

Anyway: Yiiess!! I found it:

http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com/database.php

I've been looking for it, so I'm quite plesed to find it at last :D.

It doesn't list IF games though...

Which reminds me.. *runs off*

:p

Originally posted by Huz

As for gaming marathons, I do like to replay games in order (from MI1 to MI4 for instance), but not all in one session! I don't understand those people who feel the need to replay their adventures in under an hour... why not savour it? These people are usually the same people who talk about "beating" a game...

Hmmm... I didn't express myself quite right.

I meant that I played every game for e.g. 1 hour (could be a bit more), saved it at the point where I got, and then moved on to another one. Same procedure for the next game. The next day I started with the first game at my last savepoint, and so on...

I don't have the time to do a real marathon. I know this method is not optimal, but since I had played these games already 3-4 times, it was not about total immersion, but more about "sweet memories". :p (I don't do this with games I've never played before). Besides, I don't think it's possible to finish any of the games I mentioned (especially FoA) in 1 hour. (I've never tried it, and I'll never will ;) ; I am one those who try every dialogue option)

You could try the site I am not allowed to mention here (*cough*lowercanine*cough*)

They have a pretty big list of classic (adventure) games, all with a small review and links to where you can get the title.

Next to that I think they have some tips on how to run those old games on your machine

Originally posted by curacao

abandonware *is* illegal, like it or not. Whether it's *wrong* or not is an entirely different matter.

Not even when you own the game and have the author's consent (downloaidng it form the author's webpage)?:confused:

I'm pretty sure it's legal if you own the game or if you have the author's consent...:(

Ok, I just read all about IDSA and abandoware, so here is the low-down....

IDSA is not about piracy, its about intelectual property, so:

-If you go to the Al Lowe site and download a game with his consent, it would be illegal beacuse Sierra still owns the intellectual property to the games, even though HE made the games...

-But if you go to the company / founder of the company site like the Scott Adams page... He created the company, he owns the game completely, so if he puts a game on his site, its ok...

I also think its ok to download the game if you already own it, but I'm not 100% sure I think you need consent anyway....:(

Since I started a thread about wether its legal or not to download abonware I'll include this message there too...

Originally posted by Tanukitsune

Not even when you own the game and have the author's consent (downloaidng it form the author's webpage)?:confused:

I'm pretty sure it's legal if you own the game or if you have the author's consent...:(

At least in US law, there's what's called "Works for Hire" which basically means that the author (say, Al Lowe) is not the same as the copyright holder (Sierra). The copyright holder is the guy who has control over, well, the right to copy. Throw in that a company may choose to sign over power of attorney to IDSA to let them handle things like sending cease & desist letters to HotU, and it all gets very confusing.

Archived