Home

Jka = Jk3?

Chaouki

Originally posted by Chaouki

Hmm... always been wondering if JKA is JK3? Some ppl say that JKA is JK3 and other say that it is not o.O Will there be another JK game?

Does it matter?

In a way it depends. However, Raven (Kenn, I think) said in an interview that Jedi Academy was *not* Jedi Knight 3, because the *true* sequel to Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast would be a continuation of the Kyle Katarn story. Jedi Academy is a 'chapter in the Jedi Knight saga' ...

Mike

Jedi Academy is Jedi Knight:Jedi Academy. There isn't a 3 or III.

Maybe they could do something similar to JA, but from Kyle's point of view.

Train an apprentice as Kyle Katarn. Then, maybe he/she gets kidnapped or something and you need to rescue him/her. You find that your learner was kidnapped by a sith lord/ dark jedi etc.

That seems like it could work.

Originally posted by Chaouki

no.. It doesnt matter. I just wanna kno if there will be another JK game. Cuz...

Someone had said they'd be excited to do a next-generation Kyle game, but *this* isn't it ... there would be problems getting the game going again at a reasonable when the end of JKII had him so powerful. OK, he loses the force *again* ... :confused: but how, why ... tough story to tell & sell.

Mike

From what I remember Kenn or Mike Gummelt saying, Have Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy would be wordy since its not a true sequel, but it is # 3 in terms of the Jedi Knight Saga. So I doubt we will see a game called Jedi Knight 3: (Insert New Title). Of course some were thinking it was going to be called Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast: Jedi Academy, which we all know wouldn't have helped the game much. So they just dropped it to Star Wars Jedi Knight: jedi Academy, although Star Wars Jedi Academy would have also worked, but then people wouldn't have known it was related to the Jedi Knight series.

Originally posted by Andy867

So they just dropped it to Star Wars Jedi Knight: jedi Academy, although Star Wars Jedi Academy would have also worked, but then people wouldn't have known it was related to the Jedi Knight series.

With the flurry of Star Wars games out this summer / fall (Galaxies, KOTOR, Jedi Academy, Rebel Strike) all of different genres, differentiating into the Jedi Knight family seems a good idea.

Remember the jokes involving making it part of the Dark Forces series ... it would have been Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3 : Jedi Outcast 2 : Jedi Academy ... :cool:

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Someone had said they'd be excited to do a next-generation Kyle game, but *this* isn't it ... there would be problems getting the game going again at a reasonable when the end of JKII had him so powerful. OK, he loses the force *again* ... :confused: but how, why ... tough story to tell & sell.

Mike

Since Katarn losing the force again obviously wouldn't work, I've always thought they could simply do something with the son or daughter of Kyle Katarn.

Maybe you have to rescue Katarn or something... I don't know... *Shrugs*

Originally posted by Grets Sirob

Since Katarn losing the force again obviously wouldn't work, I've always thought they could simply do something with the son or daughter of Kyle Katarn.

Maybe you have to rescue Katarn or something... I don't know... *Shrugs*

You COULD do it ... perhaps have him start off as a full-power dude, with full load of saber and force powers, and immediately have a major plot element take him out, and he has to retrain ... on the job, of course. That story would take a lot of thought to be plausible, though.

I'm glad they did what they did.

Mike

While Kyle is powerful at the end of JK2, he's still definately mortal, and there are bigger problems in the galaxy that he hasn't faced.

Now I'm not just saying make all his enemies uber like the (IMHO crappy) Vong, but there could also be things like missions where he has to drive vehicles (like we're going to see in JA), train people, and save hostages, stuff like that.

Missions that take tactics, rather than simply mowing down armies of Stormtroopers (which is all fun and fine, but doesn't flesh out a full JK game and what it can be).

The JK game wouldn't have to be set in the "present" of the storyline. It could be an alternate take on the events of JK1 (where he goes to the Dark Side) or what happened to Kyle when he went to Dromuund Kass in MotS (events which we do not see first hand).

We could go back to his roots, as a soldier for the Empire (although that would mean lack of force powers or saber).

But we don't have to start him with "nothing" again just to make a new game. It could be done like MotS.... start him with something, and build and refine from that. Or just give him a bunch of levels to use his skills in new ways, not just continuously build like it's some old school RPG.

Originally posted by Kurgan

The JK game wouldn't have to be set in the "present" of the storyline. It could be an alternate take on the events of JK1 (where he goes to the Dark Side) or what happened to Kyle when he went to Dromuund Kass in MotS (events which we do not see first hand).

We could go back to his roots, as a soldier for the Empire (although that would mean lack of force powers or saber).

Or even what happens AFTER MotS ... Mara's rescue and his abandoning of the Force, and giving his saber to Luke ... then we have "Dark Forces 3: New Republic Mercenary" ... using an advanced engine.

Mike

i dont know about you guys, but i liked the starwars games that took place during the galactic civil war. It just was more entertaining. Like the way lucasarts is going, in 5 years there will be starwars games that takes place like 30 years after luke skywalker's death. I dunno i miss the classic trilogy games, set place during thoughs.

are there going to be nutrual NPC's in this game, that just stand around and creates a better envirnment?

Originally posted by Sithxace

i dont know about you guys, but i liked the starwars games that took place during the galactic civil war. It just was more entertaining. Like the way lucasarts is going, in 5 years there will be starwars games that takes place like 30 years after luke skywalker's death. I dunno i miss the classic trilogy games, set place during thoughs.

Well, that is a tougher terrain, as it is bounded by the movie events, and you can't really have Jedi running around. I had two ideas, though:

- Make a MoHAA style movie set during the rebellion. You'd play a rebel soldier who fights in all kinds of battles on different locales, without tremendous plot. Don't know how much that'd be like Republic Commando, though.

- Be a Jedi during or before the prequel trilogy. The Shatterpoint book showed a nice new story, I'm sure there are plentty of possibilities.

Personally I'm all for them spreading out through the course of SW history for new games, but it is in relation to the movies that they sell, or at least get publicity.

Originally posted by Sithxace

are there going to be nutrual NPC's in this game, that just stand around and creates a better envirnment?

Supposedly and hopefully yes. That has been a widespread gripe.

Mike

You know...I'm actually glad they dropped the number, and I hope they don't bother to put it in again.

Seriously.

Because then it opens up the whole scope of the 'Jedi Knight' series to include original stories about any number of characters in any number of situations in the Star Wars universe - in any timeline.

I used to think that this series should be exclusively about Kyle's adventures, but I've had a rethink since then. He's been the star of these Star Wars FPS games for a while, and some people (not I, I hasten to add) have got tired of playing as him.

I actually prefer the way Jedi Academy is now going. Generate your own Jedi Knight character, and play the story the way you want to play it (to some extent, anyway). If they can continue to expand on these options, and come up with original stories and situations for these characters, then why not?

And would it not be great if you could make a Jedi Knight in one game...and actually carry them over (Force powers etc. intact) over to another game in the series? In that regard I totally agree with the other points raised about always having to start with 'diminished' powers. Why does it have to be that way? In my view, Force abilities are just like the traditional line-up of weapons in other FPS games. While you could argue a lot of FPS games just deliver a new gun to you at certain points as you go along...other's don't do it that way. In Codename:Outbreak, for example, you get one sort of multi-gun that converts into machine gun, sniper rifle, rocket launcher, laser gun - and you have access to all of this from the very start of the game. Does that game suffer as a result? In my opinion, no it doesn't, because the objectives and gameplay are such that it isn't an issue. Anyone who plays MP for any game has instant access to all the weapons, power-ups and what-have-you, to make use of them as they see fit. So it's not like it's a really big deal, or necessary for story progression.

It would be interesting to see a new game in this series where you start off with all the Force powers (at the correct levels) that you had in the last game. Include a 'training area' by all means for newcomers to the series, but allow those who have all the previous games in the series to have some kind of continuity, and choices in how to use their powers, and how to tackle certain situations.

I really don't see that there has to be a rigid structure any more.

Also, I think it would be great to see at least one game in this kind of series focus solely on MP. Epic did that after Unreal, and developed Unreal Tournament - and what a game that was. Well balanced fast gameplay with some nice new shiny modes that were great to play (and still are). If they could make a UT for the Star Wars universe, that would be great, and I'm sure it would be well-received.

Food for thought, anyway.

Originally posted by JEDI OUTCAST

if you look at the the jedi academy site you will see that it says it is the follow up from jedi outcast so that make it jk3.:)

I Also fail to see the logic since last I heard, Quake 4 is going to be the follow up for Quake 2.

Archived