Home

Ron Gilbert

ducks0up

He made Maniac Mansion and Indy - Last Crusade for LucasArts. He was also a producer on Total Annhiliation, though not really a designer I believe. Add a bunch of children's titles and that's about it. Oh yeah, he was also making a game called Good & Evil which was sadly cancelled.

As for Loom, I personally don't like it, but I know some people disagree with me on that one. It's probably worth picking up for cheap.

Edit - Definite Neutral Milk Hotel vibes from that avatar too. ;

I love Loom. It's the second LEC adventure game I've played and I have fond memories of it. CD-ROM version was disappointing though. All the dialogue, character portraits, beautiful music, among others are strangely missing/or cut down.

If you ever get a chance to play it, make sure it's the floppy version.

'Loom' is really good, the story is simple but strong, and the atmosphere is very 'magical'. Well on the CD version that I first played, it really captivated me I seem to remember. I'm surprised that the floppy version is very different, I will have to try that, especially if it is so much better.

Anyway, what's most interesting is the very novel interface revolving around musical notes and learning different spells. There are some pretty clever puzzles built on what would appear a pretty limited system.

In my opinion, Loom is an amazing, AMAZING game. I love it more than I love Monkey Island IV. I play the CD version, and hold every little bit of it close to my heart.

Perhaps I love it so much because it was THE FIRST game I ever played. Ever. SOMI was the second.

With Love,

Ernil

Your first game? Really? I remember the first time i played Monkey Island at a friends house, it was LeChuck's Revenge, and i figured out that bit where your locked in chains in LeChuck's Fortress and have to spit your way out. I was very pleased with myself :D Anyway thanks for your help. I will have to look out for Loom. I was thinking about playing Maniac Mansion, its in one of these "Lucas Archives" game pack things. Dunno if they are any good or not. Its in there with Sam & Max. So why wasn't Good & Evil made?

Maniac Mansion is included with Sam & Max? You mean Day of the Tentacle (the sequel)?

Maniac Mansion (the original) is the first adventure game I've played, if my memory serves. loved it at the time, but it didn't age as gracefully as Loom. Not really worth your time in my opinion, unless the reason you want to play is to gain some historical perspective. The sequel is much better, but I don't like it as much as Loom.

Loom has one of my favorite game soundtracks: Hetchel's Theme when Bobbin overhears conversations in Elder's Tent. I don't know if it's composed by LEC or by Tchaikovsky.

Missing on the CD version because the CD version can't play voices and music at the same time. What were they thinking!!!???

I really should get hold of Loom with the music then I suppose. It sounds like its worth playing with the soundtrack.

My Loom CD version box is tucked away at the back of the cupboard behind loads of other boxes, so I can't check it, but didn't it come with a second CD, an audio CD of actual music or something?

BTW, Loom didn't involve Ron Gilbert as a main project leader did it? Wasn't it Brian Moriarty (who later started the famously long The Dig project)?

Archived