Home

Pirates *defeat* The Force!

El Chupacabra

I sort of found this interesting.

The movie "Pirates of the Caribbean" is about to move past "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes back" on the all time Top 20 highest grossing US movies. Star Wars holds spot 17 at $290 million. Pirates is at spot 18 with $287 million. By next weekend, Star Wars will be knocked down a rank.

However, Empire Strikes Back has a wider world wide gross compared to Pirates so far and will have a higher "worldwide" gross when all is said and done. Anyway, there are a bunch more Star Wars ahead of Empire Strikes Back so its only a minor loss in the box office wars!

Interesting stuff for whoever cares about this kind of thing.

A few things:

- A movie cost ~$3 to see in 1980, large popcorn ~$0.75, large soda ~$0.50. Now it is $8.50, $5 and $4 respectively.

- In 'inflation adjusted' numbers, Pirates is #93, just beating Young Frankenstien, but well below even Attack of the Clones. Empire, on the other hand, is #12.

- The world was different even 23 years ago. The #2 movie in 1980 - 9 to 5 - made less than half of Empire. To see that earning dropoff today, you'd have to go to #7, Bad Boys II.

- However, Pirates has made good money the 'old fashioned way', it EARNED it. By being a good movie, it has stayed in the top 10 for all 10 weeks of release.

- Contrast that with The Matrix Reloaded, which does things 'the new way', which is massive hype and marketing, grab money as fast as possible before people realize they've been swindled ... kind of like a bank heist. The movie came out the 3rd weekend in May, and by the 1st weekend of June it was basically out of the top 10, and had made ~85% of its money. They failed to pick my pocket with either of their filthy hands - I didn't see the mediocre movie or buy the crap game.

- In 1980 people would see movies again and again ... you couldn't count on a big, cheap DVD release in ~6 months. In fact, I saw the original Star Wars many times in the theaters, probably 10 or so, but never more than once per weekend, and almost never two weekends in a row. In fact, I was still seeing it in theaters in 1978. Similarly with Empire ...

- The last movie I saw more than once was Spy Kids 3D (kids choice, not mine), before that was AotC - once in regular theater, once for IMax, and before that you'd have to go back to ... I think Batman in 1989 ...

My wife and I are hoping to finally see Pirates this weekend, as my parents are having our boys sleep over.

Mike

Archived