Home

Guybrush and Porcelain?

Swedishman

Remi, seriously, did you expect anyone to find that without you telling them? Unless they wanted to copy it from the site and highlighted too much. It's funny though, well, I say funny, it's entertaining really, well, I say entertaining, it's interesting really, well, I say interesting, it's boring really, well, I say boring, it's actually the most useless piece of drivel ever to climb its way out of the primordial soup and leave me wanting to be tied to a lamp post and beaten repeatedly with the head of a hippo just to drum it out of my head so I can forget about it and have a bashed in skull closely resembling the facial features or a norweigen snow moose.

Thanks though. :D

I actually think that the reason people think so much of it is because the emi people take a perfectly good one liner and turn it into something stupid and on going in the final game. Otherwise, it would just be a good one liner, like chicken fried steak.

yeah, i think the whole stupid thing is....stupid. it got really old after a while...just like...milk...if you leave it out too long it'll get all stale and all that.

yeah. i don't know what i'm talking about. all i do know is that i think the porcelain joke got dumb after a while and made no sense to begin with. :)

You know, I think it's rather odd that people complain about the porcelain joke being "exploited" in EMI, when, after snooping around a little in the CMI recource files, I found that it manifests itself at least seven times in four different places in the third game (which I will list if I am asked), whereas EMI only mentions it three times in the same number of places...

Akril

Originally posted by Akril

You know, I think it's rather odd that people complain about the porcelain joke being "exploited" in EMI, when, after snooping around a little in the CMI recource files, I found that it manifests itself at least seven times in four different places in the third game (which I will list if I am asked), whereas EMI only mentions it three times in the same number of places...

Akril

Where was it again?

The Sea Cucumber

The Goodsoup Hotel

Two more locations... Been a while since I played CMI. :¬:

The Sea Cucumber

The Goodsoup Hotel

there's also a reference on the boat when you're in the room with the monkey. :D

oh, oops. that's the sea cucumber. i don't even remember the goodsoup hotel :confused:

and the other alleged five that akril claims to have found i don't even know about. i think there might've been one in lechuck's ship in the hull and i faintly remember another one somewhere around puerto pollo....nah. i don't remember. but i'm pretty sure there was something in lechuck's ship at the beginning. :)

All right, then. List of porcelain items and/or non-tangible references (SPOILERS):

Sea Cucumber:

1. Vase that you find the map in

2. Pitcher to the left of the large pot you arrive in the cabin in

Puerto Pollo (2 seperate places):

3. If you get rid of Kenny BEFORE getting into the cabin on the Sea Cucumber, Guybrush will pick up the pitcher that Kenny leaves behind without comment...BUT if you get rid of him AFTER getting into the cabin AND looking and/or touching (I'm not certain) both items listed above, Guybrush will say "Thank goodness it's not a...porcelain...pitcher." when he picks the pitcher up.

4. If you use the scissors on the flower rather than the undergrowth, Guybrush won't hack his way through the bushes and make his way towards Danjer Cove, and you are free to wander about town, offering the flower to anything and everyone you wish. If you offer it to Van Helgen, he will say, "No thanks. I'm not in the mood to drive the porcelain bus." And Guybrush will react in his "usual" way.

Goodsoup Hotel:

5. Vase on a table on the ground floor

6. Another vase near the door to the second floor

7. Carafe in the haunted guest room, second floor

And that's all I've uncovered so far...

Akril

Just wondering; how many times has this particular question been brought up?

Anyway... Now that the joke has been made, you might as well just accept it as part of Guybrush's character. Yes, I am talking to all of you who find it annoying. I find it a little amusing...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I might as well make a little contribution to this discussion (as well as pushing the thing back to the top before someone else starts yet ANOTHER post asking "what's this porcelain thingy about?"):

In one of the scenes in Space Quest 6 (Sierra), you can look at what appear to be some futuristic display panels, and when you do, the game's protagonist (Roger Wilco) remarks (somewhat laughingly, not sounding shaken at all), "Yikes. Those liquid crystal displays. I still have nightmares about them."

Of course, when compared to Guybrush, Roger's character is a little flat, but in the previous 5 adventures, he has undoubtedly encountered thousands of LCDs (which are certainly numerous in his futuristic sci-fi world), and he never makes a comment about them apparently frightening him (most likely as a child), so this was probably something that the designers of SQ6 just thought of sticking in the game as just another little humorous tidbit. (However, this is the only time that this joke occurs. Consequently there have been no "Why is Roger afraid of liquid crystal displays?" discussions on the SQ boards.)

Akril

Archived