Home

Double kata makes you invulnerable

AnArKey

I have noticed during a good portion of the double kata move (two sabers spinning in the air), the person executing the move is invulnerable.

Examples:

I run up to him, get right in his face.

He starts the double kata, squat downs, and the sabers leave his hands. You would think having no light sabers in his hands would make him vulnerable, but the opposite is true.

Before his sabers are "up to speed," I have executed the double twirl move.

I watch my sabers slice through his unprotected body, 1,2,3,4,5,6 times. No damage to him.

His sabers come around and kill me with one touch, going right through my hail of spinning sabers.

This I repeated several times.

Roll in and stab, the most common response to the double kata. If you do it too soon, it doesn't hurt him a bit. This is in spite of the fact you just inserted your light saber through his gut clear to the other side.

Single heavy (red) DFA.

Just like the stab, if you go in too soon, it won't cause any damage. In spite of the fact my saber just went straight down from head to foot through the guy.

Another observation I'm not 100% on, but it certainly seemed this way in a game last night. When there are lots of people in a FFA doing the double kata, like 6 people running around and 1-2 people always seem to be doing it, it effects others too. I was rolling up and stabbing people finishing their katas, at the end when I know they should be vulnerable, over and over, and not getting any kills. I mean like 10 succesfully delivered stabs and not one kill. The close proximity of another kata seems to act as a "uber-block" that just disables saber damage (except for the spinning ones from the kata) in the area.

You ever notice two guys doing the kata next to each other and it's just a hail of sabers, but neither gets hurt? They cancelled each other out.

The net effect is that when lots of people start doing the double kata, you can't score a kill hardly ever without doing the same. All the real counters become nerf sticks. Result, 10 people with sabers spinning around their heads.

I cant tell you how many ppl I've stabbed when they do the Katas (any of them). If they have full health and armor its not a one shot kill, but if they are at 100 25 it is.

It is harder to do it if they use the yaw speed exploit, but I dont know if thats the issue in your case.

As a purveyor of the DFA and heavy overhead slash, I have also noticed that the roll-stab and DFA (dfa wayy moreso to the point of 100%) are somewhat useless for countering ANY move. The roll-stab works OK, but DFA it appears is almost totally useless. The range is DIRECTLY where the saber is. and that means if you DFA thair arms, you miss entirely. Boo hiss!

i dunno, with the heavy, medium and double katas, goin for the stab can be dangerous, specially if theyre at 100 health.

Ive been using the heavy kata, my friend will get the stab, but ill get one or two hits with the kata in and its all over.

Double has enough movement, and is quick enough that it actually takes a bit of skill to hit them (providing they roll out of it when the kata finishes).

And medium does enough damage and has enough slashes that unless you roll at the end, your gonna get hit a few times anyways.

Originally posted by Gil102

I've read that a Saber Throw is effective against that Kata.

*shrug*

-Gil102

I have actually proven that saber throw is VERY effective since the saber will go through the gap between the twirling sabers. players have had to resort to other, more skilled means of attacking me since I found the flaw in their tactic.

I personally think that the kata system needs a lot of work.

1.You should take damage while doing a kata.

2. The force used should reflect the kata, double spinning blades through the air should use a lot, while a roll and jab uses none... neither does the double saber barrier...

3. Should be able to move while doing most katas, I don't know about you, but If I were using a single blade doing the medium kata, I wouldn't stand still...

I agree. Dual kata/barrier seems too good. Right at the beginning of one the sabers can sometimes achieve a one hit kill. :mad: Though when they end it I find it very useful to Strong swing on their head or do Medium DFA right over em. And throw is also effective against it. But other than that they are invulnerable.

Taking down someone that is doing that two saber spin, is quite simple. (If you're using the 'staff'). All I do, is run up to them, kick em in the face, then ground stab. If they get back up do a simple combo, and they're toast.

I've always been annoyed with this move, because a lot of people like to spin constant while executing it, which makes their sabers hit you more often, thus causing a lot more damage. And, for people with trackballs, it makes it even easier to do. (Unfair advantage, possibly?) Anyway, what I'm getting at is, if they constantly do this move, constantly kick them in the face. There's a good chance you'll take little, to no damage. Wait for the move to be close to finishing though just in case your foot misses. Cos, if it does. You're toast.

Archived