Home

JKII maps FOR JKA all done...

Cosmos Jack

Does anyone think adding the maps from JKII to JKA would be good? It has a small amount of maps. I would have posted this on the mapping board but honestly how many people look there for anything. Allot more look at this board.

I didn't do them myself, but I started to than saw someone else had already done them. :rolleyes: He even put them in nice little separate packs. "FFA" "CTF" "DUAL"

Not sure if anyone wants them. Most people may be tired of them after playing JKII. I like some of them myself and still wouldn't mined playing them in JKA given the lack of many maps to play. I'm hoping to see more of them on the servers.

Anyway nobody knows about them it seems, or don't care. lol They're not on the popular sites I guess. So here are the links to download them.

"FFA"

http://pcgamemods.com/2320/

"CTF"

http://pcgamemods.com/2319/

"DUAL"

http://pcgamemods.com/2315/

I would love to add Bespin to my server, but my biggest concern is the fact that the casual player would have NO clue where to get these maps from, so they would be excluded. Also, I downloaded the Bespin map from pcgamemods myself and when I try to log into a server running it, I can NEVER get in. It says that it can't find the map. However, if I put the one I downloaded form pcgamemods on MY server and client, I can get in there just fine (even though Bespin seems dark as crap).

Is there two versions of FFA_Bespin floating around on the net? Is that the answer? Oh, and why are there bacta tanks left on Bespin if you can't use them any more?

Allowing downloads would be great, if it weren't for the fact that these maps are freaking HUGE, so I guess that's out.

After just a few days, I am completely sick of the FIVE choices of FFA maps that come with JKA. It's so weak to only include that many maps.

What to do... what to do...

Screw it.

I'm putting some of the JK2 maps on my server. After just 5 minutes playing some of those old maps, I realized just how great they were. I'll probably start off with Bespin and Deathstar and go from there. The most important thing is determining how much impact it has on my server load.

Oh, and I went to a server running Bespin after I downloaded the FFA Map Pack and was able to get in. I guess the problem was the 'stand alone' version of Bespin (which comes with just Bespin).

Originally posted by defalc

The elevators on Warring Factions don't seem to work.

Actually as for the elevators in JKA period are buggy. To me or is it just me? It seems no matter how long you stay on them they never move.. I have died many times in CTF waiting for the elevator. :(

In JKII they were like a snap. You step on you go up or down. If they were down they came up to you. Looks like they forgot to do that in JKA for some reason. If the lift is down it's down you better jump. lol

So I guess converting the JKII maps to JKA bugged them up even more. They work, but not tell you jump up and down 3 or 4 times or better still you just step off of them. lol

Originally posted by Lord Sokar

Oh, and I went to a server running Bespin after I downloaded the FFA Map Pack and was able to get in. I guess the problem was the 'stand alone' version of Bespin (which comes with just Bespin).

When I first Downloaded some of these maps I put them in a PK3 all together myself, because they were all separate. It also takes up less space. "I got the idea from the AVP2 massive map pack a guy did. I even do my Models like that I have a massive PK3 file of models. :)" As for my JKII map PK3, though; I couldn't get on a server running one, because my map was in a different PK3 file. So I e-mailed the guy doing them and told him. Now they are all done and in grouped PK3 files. So they all should work as long as everything has the same PK3 map pack.

I was talking with a friend who has played them, and basically he was saying how there are a lot of JK2 specific textures missing.

It took about 120mb worth of textures from JK2 to make them look proper, and as a result of this, we figured that no site in their right mind would host the "complete" version.

It would seem like a better solution would be to provide a tutorial or program that would extract the files from the PK3's of your original JK2 cd and use those for the textures.

That would also avoid any hairy legal issues LA or Raven might have with using textures from one of their commercial games in another.

Otherwise I think they would be all for it, after all, they put the ability to use content from JK2 in JA on purpose...

As far as missing textures go. I went through them all real quick before posting the links to download the maps.

The only thing I really noticed missing was in the Death Star FFA map. When you activate the ray near the trash compacter there is no ray "sound and death," but no ray to see.

I saw a lot of textures that didn't look from JKII in the maps like the ground in some levels was from JKA I think. Other than the problem with the elevators I haven't really found anything myself in the packs I posted.

There are several maps converted by several different people. Some may have done a better job than others. :o

Hey Cosmos,

I got them installed on the server and my client and did a walkthrough on Bespin and Deathstar, everything looks great. I'm going to put them in rotation soon. Been trying to notify people as much as I can.

To try and copy the JK2 map in every exact detail, which would most likely involve increasing the pk3 size seems like a waste of time to me. This is pretty damn big already and it probably doesn't need to be any bigger.

Like I said, Bespin seem darker, but it brings back memories. Love it. Stop by sometime.

These things need to be on every JK website out there so people can get it without to much trouble.

Yeah after checking I noticed the things archer (the author) mentioned, like the glowing lights (like the blue one on that building in the background) on Bespin FFA don't work.

Also the elevators do stutter sometimes or are extra slow.

The doors on the garbage masher on Garbage Facility FFA stutter and sometimes hurt you as you go in. Most doors and elevators have no sounds. You're right about the Death Star Laser (and the crusher trap) on Death Star.

Some of the sand/rock floors on CTF Temple Tournament are the wrong texture (they look too "light" like tatooine sand from JA). But its somewhat minor, just looks out of place.

The lack of door sounds make sneaking into bases much easier.

Ha!

I like how the bacta, stationary shields, sentry guns, seeker remotes and ysalamari are all back. I missed 'em in JA MP. ; )

Bacta only restores 25 HP now, just like in Siege. There is a "Big Bacta" (found it using cheats in JA MP) that gives you 100, but I don't know of any classes that start with it.

Also the radar helps (shows your allies in CTF) and the voice chat commands, plus the status bar showing how long before the Armor stations are recharged.

All in all, I'm glad somebody did the legwork to convert them and release them in 3 easy map packs. Once the mapping tools are out those little bugs can be ironed out.

Pretty good. You can get by the "slow elevators" usually by just doing a regular jump while on them.

I did notice a few secrets in the converted levels I didn't notice in the real thing... probably just missed 'em.

In the Lightsaber Training duel you can bust the glass in the viewing chambers and enter them. Not very useful, but it can be done. Also I missed some high up ledges on Nar Shaddaa FFA that have Dark/Light Force Enlightenments on them, plus some steps up from them with another Large Shield Boost. Dunno how I missed that in all the times I played it in JK2...

"Lord Sokar" why don't you put guns on it? lol I'm murder with guns. Nothing like shooting some guy doing a fansy saber moves to put a smile on my face. The minute the twin sabers guys do that "mouse 1, mouse 2 move" I pull out the old blaster and shoot thier @ss lol..

Originally posted by Kurgan

Yeah after checking I noticed the things archer (the author) mentioned, like the glowing lights (like the blue one on that building in the background) on Bespin FFA don't work.

Yeah I noticed that in all the convertions I have found. Someone needs to figure out how to turn on the dam lights. lol

Originally posted by Kurgan

All in all, I'm glad somebody did the legwork to convert them and release them in 3 easy map packs. Once the mapping tools are out those little bugs can be ironed out.

Yes it was, but it was my dam idea to put them in packs. The guy never sent me a e-mail saying "You're right dude that's a good idea.":mad:

Do this, (keep in mind, i dont have JA, but i do map, so i have pretty good idea on how to fix these "problems)

Open up your JKII assest0.pk3 file (in your gamedata/base directory) sort the files by there directories. Find the textures directory, and extract all of them to wherever you want. Make them into a .pk3 file, and make sure when you load the .pk3 it has the directories listed. Then put the pk3 you just made into your JA gamedata/base directory. the textures shouyld work in JA now. Also for the sounds with the elevaters, im not sure, but i think they might not have included the sounds from JA for those elevaters (the elevators in JK2 all had the same sounds) I think. So just find them (somewhere in your JKII assets0.pk3 file, and extract them, and pk3 them, then put them in the gamedata\base directory. Keep in mind, just because you dont hear the sounds, doesnt mean someone else hasnt done what i said (if it works) if it does work, then they can hear you, even though you cant hear yourself. ;) Hope it works, thats what i plan to do when i get JA.

Hey Cosmos,

Screw it.

I'm putting some of the JK2 maps on my server. After just 5 minutes playing some of those old maps, I realized just how great they were. I'll probably start off with Bespin and Deathstar and go from there. The most important thing is determining how much impact it has on my server load.

I got them installed on the server and my client and did a walkthrough on Bespin and Deathstar, everything looks great. I'm going to put them in rotation soon. Been trying to notify people as much as I can.

Good luck Lord Sokar. Just be ready to get frustrated and disappointed. My experience running two busy Jedi Outcast public servers is that it is essentially impossible to get many players to download and install the maps properly. I tried and tried and tried to get people to download and install even just one custom map to make it simple. I did everything possible for days or weeks before it entered the rotation to encourage people and warn them to download the map and install it or the server will drop them. When the map was coming up, I told everyone every 10-15 minutes, OK better get the map, it's coming up. When it finally started, my server would go from 24 players to the 4 that had downloaded and installed the map. It just isn't worth the hassle.

Even worse is putting custom maps in your regular rotation. Know what happens? Say at 3AM the map comes up in the rotation and there is no one there or no one has the map. The server is empty, it hits the timelimit, and comes to rest on that custom map. It won't go on to the next map in the rotation until someone joins the server and clicks "ready". So it sits there, empty, stuck on that custom map, until someone who has the map can join and click ready . Know how long that will take? Know how long your server will sit empty and un-joinable? Hours if not days! It's just not worth the hassle.

I wish Raven had adapted and bundled dozens of the superb 3rd-party maps that people did for JK2 with JA, so we server operators could have more to choose from, but they didn't. They wouldn't even of had to do much. For instance, the great Duel of the Fates 2.0 map for JK2 runs fine unaltered under JA (I know, I've loaded and played it).

Custom maps are great for clan servers where clan members are required to download and install the maps, but sadly just aren't worth the hassle on a public server. Definitely don't add them to your regular rotation unless your goal is to completely empty out your server from time to time. You can make it work by getting your regulars to get the map(s). Then go on your server and take a poll: "Who here has map xyz?" If enough people say "I do", then /rcon map xyz and play it. I was able to do that a few times with ffa_matrix_reloaded and a few other popular maps, but it was a lot of work to get those few minutes of fun. Anyway, good luck, you'll need it!

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Good luck Lord Sokar. Just be ready to get frustrated and disappointed. My experience running two busy Jedi Outcast public servers is that it is essentially impossible to get many players to download and install the maps properly.

(1) These map packs are the newest and most complete.

(2) How hard is it to put a PK3 file in your BASE folder?

(3) I'm not one to talk about other people's typing skills, but you really need to learn to break things up in paragraphs. What you posted just isn't fun to read.

English lit rules are guidelines not the 10 commandments. It's not necessary to have your typing A++ unless you're trying to get a job or that is your job. On a forum, however; breaking up paragraphs and using somewhat correct punctuation "or try as I do" Is a nice thing on your part if you want people to read it.

Originally posted by Cosmos Jack

(1) These map packs are the newest and most complete.

(2) How hard is it to put a PK3 file in your BASE folder?

You'd be amazed. "Download it? Where? I downloaded it, now what? Unzip, how do I do that? I need what? Where do I get WinZip? OK, I unzipped it, now what do I do with it? Base folder, what's that? Where? How do I find it?" And that's the minority who actually take the time to find, download, and unzip the file.

(3) I'm not one to talk about other people's typing skills, but you really need to learn to break things up in paragraphs. What you posted just isn't fun to read.

English lit rules are guidelines not the 10 commandments. It's not necessary to have your typing A++ unless you're trying to get a job or that is your job. On a forum, however; breaking up paragraphs and using somewhat correct punctuation "or try as I do" Is a nice thing on your part if you want people to read it.

Very good advice! Thank you!

You'd be amazed. "Download it? Where? I downloaded, now what? Base folder, what's that? Where? How do I find it?" And that's the minority who actually take the time to find, download, and unzip the file.

Where do you get these wonderful files? LOOK UP TOP :D That's why I posted them.

It is important for compatibility in JKA to have the map packs and not individual maps, because they won't work together.

Very good advice! Thank you!

Well If I didn't say sometihng someone else would have, and maybe not as nice as I did. ;)

Oh God, not the typing/spelling/grammer thing again.

Cosmos, It would be a could day in hell before I ran guns on my server. To me, saber-only is the thing that sets this game apart from the pack and, by far, the most enjoyable thing about it.

It also seems that, on the few gun servers I've been on, the '733t dUd3Z' crowd were running amuck. But, to be fair, I've only been on a few. I'm too old to handle that crowd these days. Besides, there are hundreds of options out there for gun fans, UT, CS, Q3, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Amidala, I'm positive I'll get a few less people, but there are servers running the map right now and they're still getting traffic. Even if I had 8 people at first, I would be happy as can be. It also would give me no problems actually getting in again. I'll be keeping an eye out for the map rotation hang thing for sure.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cosmos, It would be a could day in hell before I ran guns on my server. To me, saber-only is the thing that sets this game apart from the pack and, by far, the most enjoyable thing about it.

"Lord Sokar" Never mined doesn't sound like a very fun server. One of the ones where everyone stands around doing nothing.

It also seems that, on the few gun servers I've been on, the '733t dUd3Z' crowd were running amuck. But, to be fair, I've only been on a few. I'm too old to handle that crowd these days. Besides, there are hundreds of options out there for gun fans, UT, CS, Q3, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I would also like it if you don't tell me what other games I could play. UT, CS, Q3, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. I don't like them. I like the combination of everything in JK. The Force Powers, the Saber, and the Guns OH MY. That is what sets the game apart from all the others.

A good Saberist with a skill with how and when to use force powers. Can kick the average guy loaded up with guns @ss and that is fun to see.

As for me.......Sometimes I feel like giving the cry babies a dual, sometimes I feel like blasting them, and sometimes I feel like pushing them off a ledge. I don't like servers that restrict my creativity.

Well let me say, if the guns players can lay claim to the "l33t d00dz" then the saber players can also accept the "h0n0z j3d1 d00l3rz" and all that nonesense. ; p

Face it, wherever you go there's going to be annoying people and whatnot, you can't escape it.

And I disagree, it's not just the saber combat that sets this game apart, but also the force powers, AND the star wars universe its set in.

Force + guns is still vastly different than just guns in a game like Quake3 or UT or CS.

And Siege is something new, with the Jedi classes.

Originally posted by Cosmos Jack

"Lord Sokar" Never mined doesn't sound like a very fun server. One of the ones where everyone stands around doing nothing.

Dude! WTF? Don't trip! That reply wasn't a personal attack you know...

If you will read my signature the server's name is <System Lords> | OC-3, not 'Lord Sokar'. And, much to my happiness, I haven't seen a single RPG'er on there yet.

My server has turned out to be a place for hard-core FFA fans. I think my decision to leave force unrestricted and VERY FEW rules is responsible for that.

Before making assumptions, why don't you go there and see for youself instead?

Archived