Home

Who's the best player on this forum?

saberhagen

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, I'll get it set up.

We still need to decide on who's eligible to join. It's no problem at the moment because we know who the forum regulars are, but I'm thinking about the future: at what point would a new member of the forum be entitled to join the ladder? We have to consider that having this going might be a way of encouraging more people to join the forum, but on the other hand, we don't necesssarily want good but arrogant players coming here just so they can bash us without contributing anything constructive to the discussions.

Maybe new members would have to be voted in to the ladder by existing players?

hazing ritual

maybe we invite them to a battle, and we judge them while we play. Judge his attitude. If he's an asshole in game, odds are, he won't be voted in. Maybe have a "Senior Forum Dude board" or "Jedi Council" type thingy to vote.

And they can't be considered til they have posted 'x' times in here, and we'll judge those posts as well.

I think no time limit.

As for who can join, I suggest a "Jedi Council" made up of us (specifically Me, saberhagen, lukeiamyourdad, StarWarsPhreak and anyone else you guys think - we're the ones doing most of the planning), and to join the group the person needs to be accepted by at least half of the Jedi Council. We will, as Phreak said, judge them on a single game and any posting they do on the forums here.

To this end it is somewhat exclusive, but not entirely closed to new comers.

I can't say I'm too comfortable with the idea of having a ruling clique who judge newcomers. And judging their games as well as their posts on the forum is probably a bit too much and might be impractical.

I'd be happier with more open criteria related to the forum eg anyone is eligible to join the ladder from 1 month after their first post as long as they've posted reasonably regularly and it isn't just spam or flaming.

We need to remember that this isn't really our forum, it's DMUK's forum and maybe he should have some input into this.

Also remember that if someone is in the ladder, you don't necessarily have to play them if you don't want to.

You seriously should post it here. No one will see it down there...

Council- I don't think we should judge his gaming skills first too. He should be able to participate if say he posted x number of non-spam flaming posts or simply how relevent his posts are in a month. Then he should be able to participate.

I'm just saying that, no one will boot anyone out unless he's being an ass about winning or losing...

I think you're right that we need a decision making body as the altrnatives are dictatorship or anarchy!

The responsibilities of this group will be to deide whether new members can join and to arbitrate in cases where someone is accused of cheating. The game rules and settings are already defined and anyone who joins implicitly accepts them.

I suggest members of the group should include:

Me

Luke' Dad

Phreak

Vostok

Corran

Sithmaster

And any other known forum regulars who want to join the ladder. DMUK can have some input if he wants, but I'm guessing he won't have time to be too heavily involved.

I suggest that in order to stop someone from joining the ladder, at least half of the council will have to object within a week of their application, otherwise they're in. I'd like it to be as inclusive as possible.

I don't think Windu has expressed any interest so far, but of course he's welcome if he wants in. I just put people on mylist if they'd already signed up to the ladder or I thought they'd said they were going to.

I don't really mind who does it. I'm not expecting any serious divisions (but then you never know with this forum). I just think it's important that we get started asap.

We also need to consider that we might be wasting our time devising elaborate membership criteria and procedures as not many people still play this game and not many of them come to this forum. Also, in practice we might find it difficult to keep people out for obvious (if you've already signed up) reasons.

Whatever we do, it's up to the regular forumers to decide, but please decide quickly. I've had a pm from someone who is quite new but is interested in playing, and I need to tell him something soon.

I don't think it's fair to discuss individual cases in public.

What I'm saying is, we need to decide very soon whether we are having membership criteria, and if so, what they should be and who is going to decide whether they have been met.

As far as I'm concerned, the easiest way to proceed would just be to let in anyone who asks but not publicise the url. If anyone wants more restrictions than that, then please sort it out asap. But as I pointed out before, keeping people out could be quite difficult and in practice, we might find we have the opposite problem: not enough people in it. Remember, you don't have to play someone if you don't want to, and anyone who is caught cheating can be banned from pro-ladder by the pro-ladder admins.

BTW, anyone who is already in it can start playing as long as they accept the rules as stated in the MP forum.

Archived