Home

Who's the best player on this forum?

saberhagen

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frozted - actually there's a number of things that were designed for the movies but didn't get used, then ended up in SWGB. The Gungan Worker is correct, but also the Gungan Fighter (it was actually designed for The Empire Strikes Back, then they eventually used it in Attack of the Clones on Kamino!) and the Trade Federation and Naboo Advanced Fighters were alternate designs as well. I think that's what I like the most... it's as close to Canon as possible!

Skythe - i think you missed the point. The creature we see flying out of, then into, the waves on Kamino was originally planned as a flying creature native to Bespin.

Then, when Ep1 was being planned, that creature was going to be the Gungan Fighter, but it was decided that that was silly. Finally, the creature was included as a native of Kamino in Ep2.

As Windu said, the Aiwha as it is now called was originally going to be some sort of native creature of Bespin, that people would be flying around on for some reason or other. If you have a look at the old book of Ralph McQuarrie's art, which came out around the early nineties I believe, it's got a painting by him of an Aiwha flying through the clouds of Bespin. Interestingly this book also has art depicting Alderaan, and since it seems likely Alderaan will be an Episode III planet, I wonder whether they'll use some of his designs?

and for the nonpurists, EU maniacs like me, I believe in the YJK series, there are flying creatures that look like and are described as Aiwhas. So in the end, they were on Bespin.

And as for the best player on the forums, I think we should set up a tournament thingy for the forum :D

Yea, with planning it could be done. Maybe start the first eliminations by time zones, and then find a way to work around the time zone thing. Or we can just set it up and have matches whenever possible...

Also, DMUK is still an M+ at the zone right? he can get us permission to use the Tourny rooms.

I think that a tourney would be cool, especially the whole elimination by time zone thing, cause the only good player here in my time zone (that I know of) is pbguy:D. Doubt that DMUK will grant us access to the tourney rooms though. He really seems like he wants ot keep his M+ separate from his moderating of a SWGB forum, cause it could jeopordize his position.

The only tourneys I've played in have been of the kind where everyone turns up to a room on the zone at once and all the matches are played one after the other. Obviously this wouldn't work here, but I think there are other ways we could do it.

I definitely agree that it would be good to divide it into time zone groups. As a starting point, I'd suggest 3 groups: Americas, Europe and Australia - there will still be differences but I hope these can be overcome if everyone can be a bit flexible (and I hope I haven't forgotten anyone on another continent!).

As there probably won't be huge numbers of people in each group, I think it should be a league/round robin type thing, where everyone in each group gets to play everyone else. This is likely to be more fun than a single elimination thing, as bad luck in one game won't mean that you're out for good. Don't even think about Swiss - it's far too complicated. In practice it can only really be done through MFO, which defeats the object of having a tourney for this forum.

People would be responsible for organising their own matches between themselves. You know that you have to play everyone in your group once, so it's up to players to find mutually convenient times. The matches wouldn't have to be played in any particular order. Results would be posted somewhere (presumably here, or sent to a mod who would edit them into a stuck thread). Games would have to be recorded (and maybe posted at Hositility's rec site or somewhere else). A player would get say 1 point for a win and nothing for a loss (I'm assuming that the possibility of a draw is so unlikey as to be not worth considering).

Once everyone has played everyone else, the top one or two players in each group can then go through to knockout finals, which could pose bigger time zone problems, but I'm hoping that the lure of winning will tempt people to be more flexible.

Settings would most likely be standard RM 1v1 with CC1.1. Not sure whther there should be a time limit, and if so what it should be. I think not less than 60 minutes.

Some problems which still need to be thought about:

What happens if a match in the group stages doesn't get played? I'm assuming we'd have to think of a reasonable deadline for all games to bve played by, otherwise it could go on forever and people might lose interest. But if a match is still outstanding at the deadline it could cause problems. I can't think of a solution that isn't open to abuse one way or another, but as long as everyone acts in good faith it probably won't come to that.

We also need to think about what happens if someone drops during a game.

Another thing is, who should be allowed to enter? Should it be open to all comers, or should there be criteria based on how active you are on this forum?

I think it should be the regular posters.

Some guy who comes in a posts only one post so he can join the tourney would be weird and probably an asshole who wants to beat us up.

We all have a very busy schedule(school, work, school work:p )

and it the probability of two people on seperate continents being able to play together are very very thin...

That all sounds reasonable, saberhagen.

While inter-timezone play will be difficult, saberhagen is correct in that people will probably be willing to be a little flexible. If ity is too hard for you to allow time for an inter-zone game, you'll have to relinquish the game to the next highest from you continent.

As for who gets to play, I'd say we set up a sort of sign up thread here. Some non-regulars may sign up, and if they do I say us regulars should allow them, but we'll challenge their entrance and ask that they confirm their admission within, say, 5 days. If they don't respond within the given time, they shall not be included.

I think we should keep score on a central website.

I think we're jumping the gun a bit. We're still only at the vague ideas stage. I think we need more discussion before we do anything definite. Apart from anything else, it makes no sense to start signing people up before we've decided what the rules are or who's eligible.

On the other hand, some preliminary registration of interest will be useful so we all have a better idea of what we're dealing with - how many people are likely to be playing and which time zones they're in.

Ideally we need someone to be in charge of organising this and arbitrating the rules, who doesn't actually want to play in it (separation of powers - very important).

I suggest that everyone who's interested in taking part should sign up at phreak's site, then we'll know how many we're dealing with and in which time zones.

I'll draft some provisional rules and then we can discuss them in more detail.

I think this can still happen independently of the monthly thing suggested by DMUK as they're different types of thing and there's no reason why people can't be in both if they want.

Archived