Home

Games now Therapeutic

Admiral Odin

Funny. But that strip does point out the fact that we sometimes care to much about a game character that doesn't exist in the first place. I still have nightmares of the time when, in Fallout 1, my trusted canine compagnon exploded while fetching a grenade thrown by a mutant. All the reloading in the world didn't help and I had to accept his Dogmeat's inevitable fate. :(

:rolleyes:

The bricks were mushroom kingdom citizens? How come I never knew that?

Character sympathy does add an extra layer of challenge to the game though, doesn't it? Makes it more fun to play through games with minimal collateral damage.

I've become adept at lightsaber control in JKO --I can face a hord of stormies and leave most of them minus hands/arms, but still alive, assuming prompt medical help.

I still remember my first civillian casualty in JK. :(

Yeah character sympathy as kinda like a "driving force" in a playing a game. I especially like it when there's great character personality.

One of the first things I did in JK was killing the bareman in the first level. He was the second guy a killed. Right then I knew which side I wanted to be in.

As for JK: Academy, it took me a while (about 5 minutes in the level) before I decided that Jawas only waste precious air and deserve to die. I also kill with no honour at all: I push my target in the ground and finish him off with my saber before he gets up.

When it comes to First Person Shooters, I have no sympathy at all, that must be why I hate playing coop. That would explain why CS is just the crappiest game ever and I cannot comprehend why so many people are into it.

I think JKA and JKO aren't great like JKDFII. As for DF, it just ruled.

You're a monster.

My first civillian casualty was in the Barons Hed level of JK.

In the market square, where the gran thugs are beating up on pedestrians, I charged in with bowcaster blazing.

I was being as careful as I could, but one of the gran suddenly seemed to grab one of the townies as a human shield (well, the gran punched him, and the townie somehow ran between the gran and I, despite the fact that we were as close together as the game engine would allow).

My bowcaster bolt went right through the poor old man, who landed on top of the dead gran. I spent a good three seconds with my jaw hanging open in remorse, worried that I was doomed to the Dark Side for my carelessness. :cry6:

Killing armed opponents in battle is one thing, but civillians are sacrosanct. Otherwise I'm no better than the bullies that I fight.

There are no "acceptable losses."

Character sympathy is indeed a driving force. There have been so many deaths in video games the ripped me apart inside (Hack from Rebel Assault 1) amongst many others. But however there have been times where I've just gone on a blood thirsty civilian rage. GTA Rages are a whole different category.

But anyway this is an interesting study. Should prove to be very interesting in years to come.

i do find games very threapeutic, especially driving games. when something got me worked up theres nothing like drving fast and ramming other cars off the road to help me relax.

of course there are games that make you go the other way. no matter how fun they are they still manage to wind you up.

Archived