Home

Do you think Red stance is too strong?

Master William

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your point being... ?

Um... MW... the point being the topic of the thread? I mean you did ask a question to the community... and many think the Red Stance isn't too strong. So it appears that you are soliciting only those comments which agree with you...?

Has anyone checked out bwn servers. We have worked settings out that balance the issues with staff and single...the dmg is a bit toned down..but still quite effective...red kills in 2-4 hits depending on how much is blocked (the blocking has been turned up..and butterfly can actually be blocked on the first attack..but its still a bad idea to stand and try to brunt a butterfly attk)

Basically..check out the BWN servers....the moves are actually pretty balanced across all the sabers. Tho u gotta get used to blocks...as sabers tend to block when another saber hits it.

but on the topic, red stance is pretty well balanced...if you miss yer dead...and if u try on bwn servers...the staff dmg is lessened....(even tho it shouldnt be but it helps single users out) cuz people always complain bout the staff side swings doing too much...now it takes more...double sabers still ahve the insane raven created defence but do less dmg so that u might be able to get enuf clips in with a staff or just plain break thru that crap with red swings.

red swings take long but go through defence...as it should for something u have to wait so bloodly long for. Also with bwn settings medium and fast stances tend to be more useful. I suggest all those who have complaints bout staff and duals as beeing n00b weapons check out bwn settings... u really have to work to win with those now. agh..im too tired to hold a coherent thought...but give it a try u might like it.

As if damage isnt too low on duel servers already.

BWN drops it to like .65 or .45 which makes duels insanly long.

If anything it should be turned up. When you compare say FFA saber challenges to duel server damage, I think you'll find it alot different. Turning it down is just stupid. Fix'n the overpowered new sabers by lowering overall damage is not a solution.

I'm gonna agree that this will all be pointless when the patch is released.

And there will be a patch...... I have foreseen it..

Others may disagree, that's fine, but Raven intended for us to use saberdamagescale 2 (outside of Duels, but there I prefer shorter duels anyway) and I find it's well balanced. I don't think Duals or Saberstaff are too strong or too weak either, but, as Goldilocks would say of the baby bear's pourriage... "just right." ; )

If Raven intended for us to use saberdamagescale 2 then why didn't they just up the damage to be equal to that, or make the server default to that? I find that pretty silly ;)

Erm... missed your comment earlier babywax regarding the cannonball analogy. My only retort... (um, never mind that a cannonball has about 500 times the mass of a bullet) just suppose you had a cannonball traveling at a bullet's velocity... you're not going to insist it should be less effective at breaking defenses than a slower moving (normal) cannonball?

Your candle analogy made more sense, though personally I wouldn't want a light saber stuck into my body for a split second any more than I would ten seconds.

I was a little tired when I wrote the cannon ball analogy, so I didn't exactly word it correctly. If you were to make the cannon ball go the same speed, but use the same amount of gun powder, it would not have much force behind it, and it would stop when it hit something (although against humans it would probably still be equally effective, thanks to our friend inertia).

Let me put forward a new analogy: Light. It is generally thought of as a particle, now these particles stop when they hit anything you and I consider solid. Yet they travel at the maximum known speed limit in the universe. The reason they stop is because they have no force behind them. If you throw a pebble at someone with all your force, then it probably won't hurt them too badly, however, if you pick up a fairly large rock and use the same force, it will travel more slowly but if it hits them it will hurt them much more. This is because less force is converted to speed, and more into power.

I agree with cobra on a few things, I also do not mind 1-2 hit kills. The argument kaia put forward against him:

I'm assuming this was intended to be one contiguous sentence. Again I'm at a loss... you state that you're "not against 1-2 hit kills" but earlier you claimed that the lunge has been 'overpowered' to be a 'one-hit kill.' You also assert (complain) that the staff (and I presume dual sabers as well) require little skill to use. Are you implying that the lunge is difficult to perform?

The problem is that lunge is overpowered, COMPARED to other swings. We are speaking in relative terms here, lunge is much faster than a red swing yet it does like 2x the damage, so it is overpowered. Sure, it should do a little extra damage thanks to it being a special move, but not 2x. Maybe 1.5x or so, but right now lunge is overpowered. Butterfly, has no pause time after you complete the move, that is the main problem with it, it is very difficult to counter, try lunging against it at any point during the butterfly, you will get massacred. Try a 'duck twirly move' with duals or staff, you will get massacred.

I agree with kurgan however that the sabers are well balanced at 2x saber scale, so I hope that in the patch Raven will put things the way they themselves have said they intended the game to be played. Let duel servers lower saber damage, instead of FFA servers raise it. There are MANY more FFA servers than there are duel servers.

Raven recommends 1 for duels, 2 for non duels. Frankly I think that's just about right, though I use 2 for duels as well as many of you know since I've said it so many times.

Frankly I think having super long duels is a bad idea, because it means longer for the people in line to wait. If both players are good the duel can last a loooong time even if the sabers are always 1 hit kills. It's called blocking and dodging...

PS: No more outbursts of flaming please. I deleted one comment already, just keep it civil, and realize that everybody has their opinion.

I agree with kurgan however that the sabers are well balanced at 2x saber scale, so I hope that in the patch Raven will put things the way they themselves have said they intended the game to be played. Let duel servers lower saber damage, instead of FFA servers raise it. There are MANY more FFA servers than there are duel servers.

Here's the problem with that. You're assuming that admins are too stupid to change the saberdamagescale cvar (maybe they are.. though I'd prefer to call them simply uninformed, not stupid). While many admins do seem to still be learning what commands work (note the high number of whines associated with people banning only Lightning and having zero force regen time + spamming moves) best, I don't think asking Raven to make the patch simply switch the default setting is really going to help.

The fact is, the admins who are changing their settings are getting whined at (interestingly enough nobody has ever whined at me that my settings are "off" although I have had people beg me to lower the gravity before, lol and just so you know I keep it at the default setting). If the patch makes saberdamagescale 2 the default they will just change it back to .064 or whatever they were using before.

So that would make no difference at all. The trouble is people who join those servers don't realize that things are changed and they assume that sabers either do random damage or they are "nerfed" because they don't understand that cvars are being used.

So the best way to solve this problem will simply be to train people to look at the cvar settings before they join and understand what they mean, and to inform admins what cvars tend to be more balanced and fun (though we can't force them to do it our way, only inform them so they can make better decisions).

I find the Red stance trés bon as it is now. From what I've seen a skilled saberist with Red stance can take both staff and dual down on a pretty much 1:1 basis if not at a better ratio.

As for the staff damage and dual damage it might be a bit high when combined with their better defence rating, but I still find the system pretty balanced if you I don't consider the random block and damage percentages in the equation.

And that is my opinion.

Better they fixed all the minor bugs instead like the "odd" saberlocks and other more annoying stuff instead of "whiner" issues.

[sarcasm] Now you will all bow to me because I am right!

If not I'll continue to whine and troll and be immature until you comply... [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

When i first played JKA on default NF duel settings it basically seemed that when you hit someone while using staff or duels, it would do little to no damage or an be an instant kill, with very little inbetween. This was probably due to those types of sabers attack parrying abilities combined with the randomness of Ghoul2.

If you play on the BWN servers, I would tend to say that the stances are fairly balanced. The reason for this is not so much because the damage is turned down, but because the Ghoul2 collision detection has been turned off. When Ghoul2 is turned on, it makes damage from duel and staff sabers much more random.

BWN also lowers the damage, but this infact doesnt make duels last longer, it makes them last just about the right time. The reason being swings, parries and damage are more predictable. A guy doesn't have to worry as much about getting killed with one hit because its less likely to happen and the results of the player and his oppents actions are much more predictable, so they fight more aggressivly instead of being defensive. And the more agressive the fights, the faster they go.

Hopefully most NF duel servers will adopt the BWN settings, because I doubt Raven will adjust them for a patch.

• Red stance is supposed to strong....
  • Its slow
  • It cant block good
  • The only thing left is attack, so they might as well boost it up

So yeah, its supposed to strong... it cant swing fast, cant block too good, its no good during a large battle against multiple opponents, so obviously, no defense, no speed, the only thing left is attack... so its bad in every other area, it might as well be high in attack.

If you get lots of kills with it, then be HAPPY! your winning! Normally you hear people crying "red stance is too strong, and i cant win" now i hear "red stance is too strong, i keep winning"

Learn to dodge better against people who spam it. Stop complaining about the game, its the way its supposed to be. If you want it different then learn to code, and change it yourself :)

If you were to make the cannon ball go the same speed, but use the same amount of gun powder, it would not have much force behind it, and it would stop when it hit something...

Assuming everything is equal (cannonball mass, air resistance, etc.), how would you make a cannonball go faster with the same amount of gun powder? Magic?

As for visible light, it is also considered a waveform; part of the electromagnetic spectrum. If I hit you with a burst of microwaves... well you get the idea. :)

If you throw a pebble at someone with all your force, then it probably won't hurt them too badly, however, if you pick up a fairly large rock and use the same force, it will travel more slowly but if it hits them it will hurt them much more.

This is because they differ in mass. Granted light sabers are pure fiction and derived from the imagination of George Lucas, yet I'm gonna go out on a limb here and presume they maintain the same mass no matter how hard/fast you swing them.

Let's try another example. Imagine I swing a baseball bat at you; let's say at or below 1 mph. Unless you had your eyes closed (or have the world's worst reflexes), you should be able to block/avoid it without much difficulty. Now imagine I take the same bat and swing it at you, say at 500 mph... I think it's safe to assume you'd have a much harder time blocking that swing. I also think it's safe to assume a bat swung at 500 mph would smart a bit more if it hit you.

But I'm just an amateur physicist at best. What do I know? ;)

If you want to argue that sabers behave the way they do in Outcast/Academy solely for the sake of game balance, I'd agree. But if you rather insist it's logical and relates to known, real-world laws of physics, I'd have to disagree. Nothing personal. :)

The problem is that lunge is overpowered, COMPARED to other swings. We are speaking in relative terms here, lunge is much faster than a red swing yet it does like 2x the damage, so it is overpowered.

If we're talking game balance, then there are other factors besides speed and damage to take into consideration. There's ease of use, force consumption, block-breaking ability (as well as blocking ability), and whether or not the player has any movement restrictions.

That said, I haven't personally played every saber type/stance in every conceivable situation or game environment. I can't say with any authority how well each and every swing is balanced as a whole.

What I can say, from personal observation, is there's at least one regular (returning guest/client) on my server who usually dominates (often by a factor of 2 to 1). His preference of saber is single; his favorite stance is red. Clearly he's doing something right. And I can tell you from personal experience he isn't relying on katas or Force powers to get there. Those who know him, also know he uses a joystick (rather than a mouse) and is legally blind. Go figure?

He uses a joystick? He's legally blind? He must be REALLY good to still be able to play lol...

On your server (I've played there a couple times, you can see my post in that thread CortoCG made, about fun MP times or something like that) you can see I got 100 kills in 15 minutes. It's not that hard in raised saber damage (I always use single).

Leave it to me to try to explain physics to a physicist :p

I'm not explaining myself correctly, most of my analogies have been badly concieved... I think I've probably been proven wrong about 3 times too and I'm just not bright enough to see it hah

I think I'll concied that argument, you've proven me wrong. However, I still don't believe that speed equates to force/power, many things that go very fast do not have power behind them, and will stop upon hitting me. Although, things that go fast can have a lot of inertia involved, and can be very hard to stop, depending on their mass. Now, if this sword is a blade of energy, or light (which for some reason stops?) or plasma(contained by magnets, that for some reason don't have any affect on near by metal?), then it should have very little mass, and as such very little inertia. The force comes completely from the human behind it.

Now, I've seen people who can kick a soccer ball very fast with their leg, but the ball doesn't go fast or far. It depends on the force put behind it, how much of your weight and power you transfer to the ball. I have seen people who kick it much more slowly than most (no, not as slow as the ridiculously slow red swing) and can really smack it.

I have lost my train of thought, so I'll leave off where you did, let's just call it "balance." :)

Kurgan:

So that would make no difference at all. The trouble is people who join those servers don't realize that things are changed and they assume that sabers either do random damage or they are "nerfed" because they don't understand that cvars are being used.

I think it would make a very large difference. Due to their "uninformed state" (hehe) many admins don't change cvars, or hardly any besides gameplay, map etc...

So, the majority of servers would keep the default settings.

It matters a whole lot what the default settings are, when you get the game the default settings are what the game is set to. When you start a server, the game needs to be balanced right when you get into it, it shouldn't require you to change one console command.

I personally think the game is not balanced at saberdamagescale 1, I think staff does far too much damage on normal swings, and the butterfly is overpowered(it's better than the staff kata for crying out loud, for 25 less force power). As for dual sabers and single, well I think they fit very well together. Blue is a little under powered (except for lunge), and the DFAs are also horribly nerfed. I don't want them to be one hit kills, but right now they are almost impossible to hit with. Red DFA in my experience does less damage than a normal red slash, I've landed a red DFA on someone and done less than 30 damage (keeping the saber in them the whole time too).

But other than that I like the balance, although I do not have much experience with dual sabers.

My only real point was that (in my opinion) a saber should never "magically" pass through another saber - no matter what style or stance you're using. Whether I'm standing still or flailing about like a madman, if your saber collides with mine before touching any part of my person, your attack should be negated.

Whether the game's engine is sophisticated enough for that level of collision detection, or whether or not it would make for good/fun/balanced gameplay is another issue. It just bugs me. :p

Personally I'd rather all sabers/stances had equal damage/blocking - that their only differences were cosmetic (eye candy). Perhaps that would be the greatest thing; perhaps it would be boring as hell. At the very least, it would put an end to all these threads about such-and-such being "nerfed" or "imbalanced."

To put it another way, no one ever asks what stance you were using when you nail them with the concussion rifle. :)

*Sigh* - Kurgan is right... it is an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community.

I have no problem with red stance, except for duels (where the saberdamagescale is changed) when you have a hard time hiding from all the side swings, I kept winning and winning with the single saber.

I want more blocking, because every side swing seems to hit pretty easy, even if you are not very close to it.

Forget it about red stance being too powerful, I want more blocking ;)

Akshara, I was saying ''Your point being... ?'' because I thought he had a point with the post (other than that he has his own opinion). But I guess that was his point with the post, it was his own opinion.

EDIT: Yes, KaiaSowapit, that's a better idea aswell, and you are totally right. It's annoying how the cores/sabers just go through each other like nothing, it should be like with the saber locks, now THOSE are interesting (I just love them in JA) ;)

If your winning from side swing alone I'm guessing the saber dam. is way up on your server, or your enemies are not very good. Either way, red stance is fine in unchanged servers. In other words, if I make a game right now, and enter no counsol commands and me and some people played, red stance would not be pwnage, or anything. It would be ballanced.

Also I've heard people saying lundge is unbalanced. Indeed, it is but that is to make up for blue's otherwise usless state. Other than quick strikes to finish off the enemy, blue is usless IMO. Even if you do use blue as a finisher if ends up killing me off more than killing my enemy off, so I might as well just stick with red.

Yellow is close to blue in effectiveness, for me anyway.

Also the staff and dual, randomness thing needs to be fixed. Is it realistic that I cut my enemy strait in half (red swing) but they don't die, well no. It's more unrealistic to have a person dancing about (staff butterfly) and barely touch me and I die......and I think this is a randomness bug, and it should be fixed...

Anyway, I'm out,

D_P

PS. this was all opinion

Change your style whilst in a saber lock. I dont think you are more damaged with red stance in a lock anyway though.

If your winning by side swing alone, then indeed your fighting poor opponents.

The hit and block detection is way off anyway. Most hits should be blocked and most blocked should be hits. Its stupid playing a game with no defining rules. This is another reason why you may win/loose a lot.

Red stance is fine. Its the duel and staff that needs a limit to stop random spamming. (And due to terrible block detect red stance is normally blocked by the guy who is spamming duel sabers at your feet).

This is where the fix is needed.

I think it would make a very large difference. Due to their "uninformed state" (hehe) many admins don't change cvars, or hardly any besides gameplay, map etc...

So, the majority of servers would keep the default settings.

I don't think that's correct. IIRC, the last time I checked the majority of JA servers were using some kind of cvar. Now granted they might just be menu options ("no force" "sabers only" etc) but the fact is many many admins know how to change cvars.

They'll just notice the change and switch it back to how they want it. People joinining will be clueless but that's because a lot of them can't or choose not to host and so are less informed about what the commands are and what they do.

As far as the Butterfly being "more powerful" than the katas. They are for different situations!

The Kata is when you're surrounded and want to hit multiple attackers, or you have your opponent cornered (or you have suckered him into a stationary attack and you're about to counter attack). The butterfly flies forward, meaning you have to be heading towards your opponent, otherwise you're flying AWAY from him and won't hit him. Plus you might just fall off a cliff.

Likewise the DFA is not very useful at close range (You'll fly over his head most of the time), but more useful at a longer range, etc.

As I see it, the strength of Strong stance is not that it does lots of damage per se, but that it can knock away other stances (or even knock the saber out of your opponent's hand) and not be knocked away itself. The swings are also more "sweeping" so it's possible to hit more people at once if you timed it correctly (and sweep behind you, etc).

Next time you think you see "randomness" check and see where you hit/were hit (look for the scars) by the swings. Limb hits do very little damage. Even a hit that "cuts off your arm" only connected at your arm at the start of the swing, it may have passed through your head afterward.

The thing is, in JK2 1.04 they made it so that the very start and very end of swings do very little damage, so rather the midpoint was the intention for getting the kill. I don't know if it's the same exact way in JA, but that might be worth investigating. This was done to avoid the complaints of "barely nicking me and I died."

As for "spamming" if you're going to take away the unlimited chains for Dual and Saberstaff, then take away the unlimited chains for Fast single stance, because otherwise you're giving single saberists an unfair advantage.

Originally posted by Kurgan

As for "spamming" if you're going to take away the unlimited chains for Dual and Saberstaff, then take away the unlimited chains for Fast single stance, because otherwise you're giving single saberists an unfair advantage.

Ah, um, that was very illogical reasoning. I'll try to explain below.

For Single Saber

- Blue (weakest, unlimited sweeps/spam-swings, fast as snott)

- Yellow (medium, limited to 4 to 5 sweeps/spam-swings, medium speed)

- Red (strongest, limited to 3 swings, no sweeps, slow as hell)

For Staff Saber

- Yellow Single Blade (weakest, limited to 4 to 5 sweeps/spam-swings, medium speed)

- Yellow Full Ignited Staff (strongest, unlimited sweeps/spam-swings, still about medium speed)

For Duel Sabers

- Blue Single Blade (weakest, unlimited sweeps/spam-swings, fast as snott)

- Yellow Both Sabers Ignited (strongest, unlimited sweeps/spam-swings, fast but not quite as fast as snot)

If people can't see the problems and inconsistancies with the information I've listed above then you deserver "1000 punches in the face" and need to look harder. If you've looked harder and still dont see it then read on.

For the single saber its pretty straight forward, you loose spamming ability and speed in exchange for more power and blocking ability. Pretty logical huh?

For the staff saber, well uhh....., you GAIN spamming ability (your speed loss is neglegable) in exchange for more power and blocking ability. Um, what the....:confused:

For the duel sabers, you KEEP spamming ablility (again your speed loss is neglegable) in exchange for more power and blocking ability. :( Are you starting to catch on to my point yet?

Raven apparently threw out all logic when designing these new saber types. Instead of sacrificing something in exchange for something else, you get more when you had less to begin with. If we carry the logic used in the design of the duel and staff over to single sabers, you should be able to swing almost as fast as the medium yellow stance only now with red, and you would have the ablility to spam it endlessly.

Kirgan, the reason your quote makes absolutly no sense is because you were compairing the "strong styles" of the duel and staff sabers to the weakest in blocking and power of all the stances(blue). For goodness sakes, think about that for a second. Blue spamming is almost usless agains duels and staffs and yellow's not much better.

If you follow logic, duels and staff strong styles should be limited to a maximum of 3 to 5 swings. When they have the ability to do as much damage as a single red swing, but have two to three times the speed and parrying ablility, don't you think sacraficing the ablility to endlessly spam is a fair trade when you compare it to the amount of speed and the entire loss of the ability to spam-sweep that the single saber red stance trades for power and blocking ability?

If people can't understand my reasoning, no comment......

i think red stance has the perfect balance of power versus risk. a good red-stancer will time his/her moves to take full advantage of the stances capabilities, either by chaining a combo together when their opponent is open, or sticking and moving until their opponent makes a mistake. as for yellow and blue stance, i think those are used less because they are a bit less effective against staffers and dualers, due to high defensive capability on staves and duals.

having said that, i dont think any one saber type is over-powered in any way. the only thing i think is needed (key words: i, think) is a limit on the number of chained attacks a dualist or staffer can do. this would eliminate constant strafing as a viable means of winning and force people to actually use their heads a bit (once again i reiterate that this is my opinion). it might just be me, but seeing two people fight and watching them go side to side repeatedly while crouching just isnt very Star Warsy. never once have i seen a battle in any of the movies (or read one in a comic, book or fan fic) where the two combatants swing their sabers wildly across the Y axis.

so, im summary, red stance = fine. blue and yellow stances = mostly fine, tad bit underpowered. dual and staff sabers = fine except a limit on chained attacks is needed (say, 4-6).

edit: *looks up at SpDTheadkeFor's post*

yeah, i guess thats what i get for not reading the whole thread.

LOL ;) I like how you put it into fewer words. I'm like you, I really don't have a problem with duels or staffs other than the fact that they have unlimited chainablility for such powerful swings. If they limit the number of swings it will be a great improvement in the quality of gameplay. Other than that, for me the game is fine if the Ghoul2 hit detection system is disabled, which is the main reason the games annoying randomness. The only other thing I would really like to see ajusted is the ability for blutterflies to be autoblocked. Simply if you aren't swinging, you wont get hit. I believe that would cut down on a lot of the spamming.

I'm glad certain point are brought up i nthe forums.

I want to start a Duel/PowerDuel server and I'm trying to get a hold on what i want enabled and disabled on my server.

Since we're on the ghoul2 subject... how does it affect the game exactly... enabled and disabled?

Archived