Home

how did you discover MI?

hi_im_lechucky

Just thought somebody might have an interesting story about how they discovered Monkey Island, or how they first got to play it. I don't know, something along the lines of

**MI2 disks fall out of clear sky knocking me on the head

**10 years later I buy the code wheel on ebay and play the game for the first time

Well, anything interesting?

This has been discussed before, but it's been a while. I'll post my old reply.

I remember the beginning of my Monkey Island Adventure. Though it seemed like the beginning of the world, it must have been the mid-90's. My family had just gone out and spend ALOT of money on the brand-spankin-new CD version of Monkey Island and Loom. I remember getting home, and the whole family crowed around as the games booted up. First - Monkey Island. Me, being tiny, young, and not important, was shoved to the back and to the side. I remember not being able to see, but hearing the music chime in. My whole family gave their "ooh's and ahhh's" as I died to be able to see that screen. I remember my father controlling Guybrush (quite poorly) across that screen, and finally, after being fully disgruntled by this new challenge, he quickly gave up. The brilliant music paused, and we went into our new experience with Loom. (On a side note, anyone that has not played the game Loom is missing un-believabley greatly. I hold it in higher regards then some of the Monkey Island's. Go out and give it a whirl). The Loom experience was quite the same.

After a couple of days, the family lost its interest for the games; except young Christopher. I nagged at anyone around who could read as I wandered around Melee talking to everyone possible. I actually can think back and remember how pethetic I was at the game, but that did not matter. It took me 2 years to beat the game. After this, my Monkey Island career went along like anyone else's. I bought COMI, and after playing and defeating it, realised that there was a game between SOMI and COMI. I played and loved this with all of my heart, and lived my life to this day, replaying all, and bringing in EFMI into my life at the same time. Dear Lord, I love these games.

I don't really remember when it was I got the game-- I remember I also had Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Loom, Maniac Manson and Zak McCracken (I can't remember how to spell it!), so it might have been in a box with that. Although I might be confusing this with the bundle that had Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle in it, but that came a lot later.

The only thing I really remember quite clearly is that, outside of my family, no one had even heard of the game. Monkey Island, Sam and Max, and all of those games were, quite pathetically, a huge part of my childhood, but I really don't have anyone to reminisce with. (Well, I guess I do now, huh? Awwe... so corny I could just puke!)

I do remember that I found Monkey 2 in a sale bin in Best Buy.... I must have been around 10 or so. Best thing I ever bought on sale!! Well, I guess the crock-pot I got last week for $4 was pretty cool...

I first encountered Monkey Island when it first came out, I got a demo disk from the Amiga Format magazine and was hooked so bought the full game along with some others.

It was in the Lucasarts Classics Collection pack with Loom, Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Zak McCracken. I still have all my originals and the demo disk somewhere.

Then when the Amiga was outdated went onto Pc and overtime got Monkey 2 , 3 and 4.

Originally posted by thejane

I don't really remember when it was I got the game-- I remember I also had Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Loom, Maniac Manson and Zak McCracken (I can't remember how to spell it!), so it might have been in a box with that. Although I might be confusing this with the bundle that had Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle in it, but that came a lot later.

You got the Classic Adventures Pack.

It was the summer of 2001, I think...Aspyr had just ported EMI to the Mac and the gaming community was going postively nuts. Reviews were flying both online and in magazines (my father and I are both Mac geeks; we have subscriptions to three major Mac magazines) about "the funniest adventure game of all time" and even "one of the best adventure games for the Mac platform." Obviously, we had to see what all the commotion was about. Or rather my father did--he was actually more interested in buying the game than I was. I'd been spoiled by a string of bad games that had earned good reviews...The Crystal Key (barf), etc. So he was the one who actually bought it, but then he didn't play it or anything, so I figured "eh...what's the worst that can happen, I'll just be scarred for life again..." and installed it. Was head-over-heels in Monkey Island love by the end of the first cutscene. :D

MI1, MI2 and CMI all followed shortly after just as soon as I could get my hands on them and play them.

They sort of all fell by the wayside for a while, about a year ago, but then I picked them up and started playing them again...fell in love all over again...started writing fanfic again...said "eh, what's the worse that can happen, I'll just be scarred for life again..." and joined the fandom at large. ;)

i had an amiga. my first game for it was indy3. later i got zak and maniac mansion.

then i had something like confirmation. but only without the confirmation. its what you get if you are 15 (??)

anyhow. my mom asked me what i would like for "confirmation"-present. i just had heard about the game and was totally indy'd, zak'd and mansion'd anyways .. so i wanted MONKEY ISLAND (besides other things like a second fd and an action replay)..

and my mom buyed it ..

i played it.

i loved it.

end of the story.

special, huh?

it was around 93 or 94 when everybody was talkin about this game from pirates, i didnt pay attention but the voices grew larger so i had to check the game myself, fast forward 10 years later and its my favorite game series of all time, MI stared me in gaming.

I luv monkey island, i dont like the 4th

Hi im new. Thought this would be a great place to start posting. Im 18 and I started playing MI1 around when it first came out (yes I was only 5) My brother and his freinds were big computer nerds and heard about it on a bbs somewhere. I had to be cool like them and after some begging i figured out c:monkey/monkey1/go (if i remember correctly) I started playing and needless to say my brother and his freinds hated me, especially when I used to call his friends to get help when he (my brother) wasn't home. I understood absolutely none of the humor of course but still enjoyed it. I have since grown up with the monkey island series and lately have began to replay them in chronological order. I have yet to play EMI though. I played the demo and was not impresssed. I'll get around to it some day. I really enjoyed CMI and thought it was amazingly well done animation wise. In the EMI demo I found the graphics to be choppy and for a lack of a better word crappy. I hope MI5 will revert back to the CMI style as it was a beautiful game. I also came across a comment here that siad that MI5 should have the look of the banner at the top of this page. THat would be an acceptable look. Sorry to thow all my opinons on here.

Ah yes... i remember back in the day when i used to play on my trusty Amiga, although i never really played any games that were actually hard or anything, i was only like 6 at the time, but then my dadb bought it in some cheapy games shop and we used to sit there and play it together with my mum....

have loved it ever since :D

I remember when i was little my dad bringing in an amiga 500 with 4 gamesto itand i saw the games butnever really got to play them for a couple of weeks. i remember my mum and dad sitting there well into the earlyhoursof the morning playing monkey island then i asked if i couldhave a go and my dad let me and i was hooked on it. i then bought more P+C adventures like zak mcracen, loom, indiana jones and also the second MI game. ever since ive just been playing the monkey island series each time they came along.

i'd heard about MI1&2 ever since they came out in the old AMiga World magazine, but never got them back then. I had also seen the budget release of CMI at the stores later and thought "ooh, monkey island! cartoons? wierd." Finally, I went to the store a couple years ago and saw CMI for 10 bucks and bought it. lo and behold, it came packaged with the first two games and my life became complete :cool:

One of the first games I ever played ( maybe the first) was LucasArts 'Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis'.

It came in a double CD case with the last crusade.

I played them both, and finished them aroound the same time.

I was hooked. I bought Sam 'n' Max, and finished it, but I never got the sound to work.

Then I bought Day of The Tentacle, which came with (a new copy ) of Sam 'n' Max. I played them both, and even got Sam 'n' Max sound to work.

Then I discovered Ebay. MWA HA HA!

I bought The Dig. I considered getting MI, but didn't.

I bought 'The Monkey Island Booty Pack' which had all 3 games.

Despite my wish to play them in order, I got stuck in M1 (no sound as well.!) then played M2. At first I didn't like M2's atmosphere, but now it is my joint fav with M3.

Then I got a PS2. Since my computer is really crappy, I got the PS2 release of M4.

Thats my story. "Listen to my story.This may be our last chance....." FFX Quote.

i was about 11 or so and my parents went to a supermarket to buy the things needed for the following week. i went with them and there was a magazine stand. there i saw two magazine called "bestseller games" with cds with monkey island 1 and 2 on it. the screenshots looked funny, so i took the magazines and asked my parents to buy them for me...

During spare time in class we'd have some free time to use the computers. Well one day a classmate brought in MI1 and installed it on one of the computers. He guided me through it and I immediately liked it. After mi1, he brought in mi2 and i enjoyed that. I soon received CMI for christmas, and EMI for christmas. Also, one thing he did was i was introduced to it in 1998 and one day he gave me the address to the #monkey-island channel on Dalnet, which just opened up. Unfortunately i failed to take advantage of it but i joined later and you'll occasionally see me there under my screen name here.

• 2 weeks later...

to tell the truth it did hit me on the head, i was a small child in a game store wacking shelves, when i accidentally knocked it off the shelf and onto myself being the original massive disk version it actually hurt, i picked it up saw the word monkey and set about begging my father to buy it, he did.

• 4 weeks later...

originally read about it in amiga power in 1992...

...years passed...

...found all 11 MI2 amiga disks in a car boot sale in 2000 - didnt have the bloody codewheel so no joy there

bought the PC bounty pack :D

the rest as they say is history...

Whne I was in my first year of highschool (1996) My parents bought a power mac (It's a perfoma 5260, and it now lives in my room). Up to that time we'd had a mac classic, so I had only seen a few very basic games on it's screen. Having a colour computer changed all that, and my parents went out and bought a pack with DoTT, FoA, dark forces, sam and max and a few other games (they are all lying around my room now) I spent all of year seven on the phone to one of my friends swapping clues to DoTT until we had both finished it. Seriously, we couldn't even wait to get home form school we were that into it.

Anyway, so started my love of Graphic adventures and to a lesser extent, even text adventures ( I wanna learn to use TADS soooo bad!).

Anyway, sometime around August 2003 I found a server that collects up all kinds of mac abandonware. Even though this probably isn't too legal, (or maybe it is, hmmmmm, anyone know?) it's great for getting games that I can't possibly buy unless I spend some time on ebay (and even then, I'm not so sure illl find what I want for the price I'm willing to pay).

Anyway, enough making up of lame excuses for why I do illegal things... I looked in the graphic adventure section, saw monkey island one a two, saw how small their file sizes were, and went for it. Between then and now I had to finish a diploma amoung other things so I hadn't really looked at them. But I got them out, started playing, and loved them instantly. My sister saw me playing and demanded I stick them on a disk for her, and so now she also loves 'em.

It trips me out to hear that some people were playing these games at 5 years of age! Wouldn't it have been WAY over your heads?? I was probably playing Graphic adventures back then, but nothing close to monkey island. Just the go north, 'look at log','pick up key', 'drink from bottle', totally basic ones.

But yeah, my story.

Archived