Home

why do you play the monkey island games?

uwe

hello there,

first, something about me: i am a student (media&communications) from germany who's doing some research about the somi-games and their players.

now i ask you all a favor: would you be so kind and let me know,

a) why, what reasons for, do you play the somi-games? what do you like especially?

and 2nd

b) what kind of games, movies, animations or ty-series, and books do you read?

i' ve just read the thread "whats wrong with emi?" and i already learned something about your motivations to play. but since that'S not the straight way to information: was there already some discussion about whats the good thing on emi (or cmi and the others)?

for questions or suggestions you can access me via net. please notice i am offline at weekends, so it might take some time for my reaction - but it will come!

thanks for your efforts,

yours uwe

I played the monkey Island series as a form of addiction. When I was young, I got hooked on LucasArts games. The 2 indy games if memory serves. I loved the humour, and the atmosphere, and the graphics. I love old graphics.

Then I played every game LEC spewed out 'til I came to Monkey Island. I like MI because its funny. Its more of the old stuff I like.

Q2- Again, funny books/ Tv. If its not funny, I don't watch it, although I wacth star wars because I eased myself into Sci Fi. I started with Red Dwarf, funny Sci-fi.

Bottom line- Humour. Thats my bet on the top answer.

For me it was how easily I could identify with the characters, Guybrush in particular. He has this quality of innocence about him, like a little lost puppy you can't help but like. I play these games because I don't see it as just a game, to me it is real, these people exist.

Right now I am reading Homer's Illiad. I read a lot of philosophy like Aldous Huxley, Leibnitz, Bacon and Comte. One of my favorites is Dante's Divine Comedy. As far as movies go I am obsessed with Lord of the Rings, James Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Matrix, all the requisite series that everyone watches. I love David Fincher movies like Fight Club and Se7en, but I am also a fan of Coen brothers' movies, especially the Big Lebowski and Hudsucker Proxy.

What do you mean I'm funny? What is it you find so funny? Am I a clown to you? You saying I look like a clown? Do I amuse you? Am I a clown here for your amusement? Tell me, I don't know, what is so funny about me? You think I look funny to you? Am I some sort of joker over here? What you're saying is that I'm funny. What the f**k is so funny about me? Huh!

(did I mention I like the movie Goodfellas?)

Archived