Home

An Official Honor Code

gotcha8903

Should there be an Official Honor Code?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an Official Honor Code?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Originally posted by gotcha8903

it seems to me what this game needs is an official code, so there are no complaints or arguing over what is "laming" and such. this is just an idea, and i have no clue how it would work, or who would write it.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt to prove it.

Read all about it here. Do take the time to read it, it's fascinating. April 2002, and you can see all the arguments we are still having today. It is so filled with irony it just makes you shake your head, knowing what came next. The honor coders said (paraphrasing) "of course, it should be voluntary, it wouldn't be right to force it on others or punish them for not following it". The non-honor coders said (paraphrasing) "aw, this is a stupid idea and unenforceable. It will never catch on". If they only knew, if they only knew....

EDIT- Even more irony: I checked for newer posts by "Soul-Burn", the person who started the Saberist Code thread. It turns out that a month later the 1.03 patch came out, and he stopped playing the game (he hated the changes in the 1.03 patch). So a month after making up the "Saberist Code" and all that followed, he wasn't even playing anymore, he was off doing something else.

It inspired the "Anti-Saberist Code" here.

Originally posted by George Santayana

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Ah yes Artifexs' "Anti-Saberist Code" thread........

This is nonsense, if you find a server with h0n0rz do0dz then don't play on it. Create your own server or just find a good one.

Plus theres no point trying to enforce an "invisible" set of rules.

There. Sure as hell glad I didn't patch my game or start playing multiplayer.

:)

"honor codes" like this do more harm than good (see JK2 references). The ASC (anti saberist code) was created as a joke to oppose the nonesense created by the saberist code (one of the catchy "honor codes" from JK2).

If we're promoting the ASC then that is cool but the only reason it exists at all is because of the stupidity and shortsightedness of honor codes!

i guess i shouldnt make posts at 3 AM, judgement is severely reduced........maybe someone can do me a favor and delete this thread;)

i will go with the voice of experience, as i have never had a problem with being "lamed" or people using or not using "honor", and never played JO mp. just posting on what the other topics would make you think was needed (once again this was 3 am).

Archived