Home

Modding tools

Mex

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Michaelmexp

Does anyone have any idea after the game is released if modding tools will be available?

It would be nice to design a custom skin for some Imperial troops or create a map for you and your friends to have countless battles on. Sounds pretty cool eh?

*Hopes that modding tools will be released*

I'll bet that you'll be able to use the Battlefield 1942 tools.

• 1 month later...
I doubt there'll be much editing flexibilty simply because this game is more aimed at thos annoying console gamers. Look at KOTOR and LOTR:ROTK. They were both console + PC games with very little modding ability. Even if there are mods, they'll be nothing like those of Jedi Outcast.

i disagree with you.

KOTOR and ROTK where almost unmoddable, because of the genre of the games. what mod could you possibly think up for them? power-gandalf? nazguls in Kotor?

Battlefront is going to be a shooter, wich means it is bery moddable. just look at JA.

• 3 months later...

I personally have mixed feelings about modding. It can be a great deal of fun, but it also feels almost sacreligious when modding a truly awesome game.

Too bad, though! I shant let my scruples intrude upon my enjoyment! I, personally, want to see a Geonosian warrior added to the Separatists and some sort of Kaminoan for the Republic. (I know, it's hard to imagine a Kaminoan fighting... But it would be cool if done well, no?) I don't know what I'd add to the rebels or imperials. Heh...

i believe pandemic has stated they will release mod tools sometime after release. Personally, i would like to see mods of levels perhaps on the same planets but in different areas like a mountainous area in tatooine as opposed to just mos eisley or an underwater city level on the kamino level. Or an escape from yavin level. Something along those lines to fill gaps.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by tFighterPilot

None of the Star Wars mod ever tried that (troopers, galactic conquest) so I doubt anyone would try to. It's too hard.

But... Jedi are already in the game - as NPCs. If someone figures out how to open up the Jedi NPC abilities to the players, boom; you got your Jedi for player use.

I hope that modding for Battlefront will be as if not more easy than modding Jedi Academy. I just want to redo the screwed up factions, and in Jedi Academy, siege classes are easily changed in NotePad files.

A lot of you are seeming to be over seeing a blatent fact- this game requires no subscription, which denotes that the developers will have to create the modding willfully, other than the players- and then there is consoles- so Other than player-created mods, we won't be downloading much.

Originally posted by PhireStorm

A lot of you are seeming to be over seeing a blatent fact- this game requires no subscription, which denotes that the developers will have to create the modding willfully, other than the players- and then there is consoles- so Other than player-created mods, we won't be downloading much.

I think you don't understand. This thread is about modding tools, not mods. Modding tools are there for the users to create mods.

n00b

hehe, surprised tFighter? Battlefront looks very promising. For those SW fans who don't like everyone being a Jedi, but the classic epic battles, battlefront seems like a dream come true. I hope I can make some stuff for the game. I'm actually happy they're using XSI.

Originally posted by CortoCG

hehe, surprised tFighter? Battlefront looks very promising. For those SW fans who don't like everyone being a Jedi, but the classic epic battles, battlefront seems like a dream come true. I hope I can make some stuff for the game. I'm actually happy they're using XSI.

Pandemic have always used xsi, as you can (probably can't) see in Battlezone2. I never did model for Battlezone2, cuz I never found the right importer and exporter.

Originally posted by CortoCG

Could you link me up? I would like to try it, maybe get in touch with Pandemic's modelling conventions. I visited their website, and for artist they say XSI expertise is a plus :p.

Link to what? I have no idea where the tools are, if they even exist. I only heard of them in some Battlezone2 modeling tutorial.

Hehe, you're right. BZ2 uses the .xsi files directly, which I guess is stupid even if you're not going to have animations on it, since ASCII files are much bigger than binaries.

Maybe for BZ2 you only need a mesh with texture data on the .xsi, so it's not such a big deal. But I don't think Pandemic is gonna use ASCII .xsi files for SWB. I guess I'll have to wait to find out.

Although I don't see SWB models using as many polygons as UT2004 or the coming HL2, I think they're gonna be big enough to not consider using ASCII files. Also if you count the number of animations per character and vehicle, is not a good deal to keep the model's files as ASCII. I'm pretty sure they've developed some sort of skeletal animation already.

Man, I'm very anxious to see what can we create with it.

• 2 years later...

I added the Star Wars BattleFront .msh loader module to the 3D Object Converter and I uploaded the latest developer package (non beta) to my web page.

You can download it using the following link:

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/3dc32390x_dev_20070217.zip

I converted any original .msh files into .Wavefront's .obj format.

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/reconverted.zip

Original .msh files:

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/msh_examples.rar

• 1 month later...

Archived