Home

Jedi Academy left off GameSpy's 'Grudge Match'

txa1265

Gamespy is having a 'greatest game' grudge match, and posted for entries for 'qualifying rounds'. Now there are any number of rediculous things there - no Doom or Wolf 3D, for instance. But they had a Jedi Knight specific poll, and included Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast. But no Jedi Academy.

Wonder why? Bad poll (that seems a given already) or do they lump JA with MotS or did they just not like it?

My opinion of Gamespy is already quite low - but at least with these 'features' they normally shows signs of actually trying ...

Mike

How silly of them. JA is at least as good a game as JK2.

They can't rightly consider it an expansion (excuse why they leave off MotS) since it was marketed as a true sequel and it is in any measurable respect.

Of course what some gaming site says are the "Greatest Games" usually doesn't hold much water with me anyway.

Originally posted by txa1265

Gamespy is having a 'greatest game' grudge match, and posted for entries for 'qualifying rounds'. Now there are any number of rediculous things there - no Doom or Wolf 3D, for instance.

Did you actually read anything? Or just click on polls without reading their intro? If you had, you might have spotted this here:

(Important Note: Don't get nervous if you don't see your favorite games here. These qualifying polls will help determine about half of the games that will make the tourney -- there are still many others that we'll announce on Monday.)

It's on this page here: http://www.gamespy.com/titlefightqualifying/

and is the fifth paragraph down.

Read before criticizing.

Also, I assume they call it an expansion pack, which, rightfully, it should have been, bad as it was.

I read that paragraph. Perhaps it explains some of the entries and non-entries. But the polls seemed haphazard and random ... the coverage was over the top for some, and spotty for others. But the JA missing thing would be like having Doom I and Doom III but leaving out Doom II, IMO.

Mike

I agree with the haphazard part...

In my opinion, it'd be like having Everquest, and not having one of its addons. Because that's bascally what JA was. Same engine, except for a few tweaks, a couple powers in SP that should have been in JO to begin with, a couple new sabers, and a storyline that was completely laughable.

Good point about Doom2. It's regarded as one of the greatest games ever, and yet it's only 1% different from Doom1.

Do people call Doom2 an "expansion pack"?

MotS added a LOT and changed a lot from JK1, and it was marketed as an expansion pack. JA changed a lot from JK2 (though perhaps not as much as MotS did from JK1) and it was marketed as a full sequel.

So Gamespy just based it on viewer opinions rather than their own bias (this time)?

No accounting for taste I guess...

Archived