Home

?'s about destroyer vs asteriods(control)

saurumonk

quick ?'s herebout asteriods.

1. is the control gonna be a little more reactive (ie it takes ****in forever to turn with destroyer)

2. are you gonna be able to flip horizontal view- space is not right side up all the time like destroyer being able to make full spins and change POV is not in destroyer and that sucks

3. is there friendly fire... its already tiring having stupid dip****s on your team blasting you in the hangers before you can even get into a ship

thats all i could see wrong with destroyer right now... maybe more as it comes....

Originally posted by saurumonk

quick ?'s herebout asteriods.

1. is the control gonna be a little more reactive (ie it takes ****in forever to turn with destroyer)

2. are you gonna be able to flip horizontal view- space is not right side up all the time like destroyer being able to make full spins and change POV is not in destroyer and that sucks

3. is there friendly fire... its already tiring having stupid dip****s on your team blasting you in the hangers before you can even get into a ship

thats all i could see wrong with destroyer right now... maybe more as it comes....

1. There are significant differences in manueverability among the 8 starfighters. For balance, the very maneuverable fighters are also less rugged, the less maneuverable fighters are sturdier.

2. huh?

3. Friendly fire is a server option, and recommended for realism. We have anticipated the team-killing problem for servers with friendly fire enabled: you can set how many times a player can team kill before being automatically kicked or banned. That includes those who intentionally team kill and those who do it because of incompetence.

The 32-page illustrated Asteroids manual is complete and is being circulated among the team for final approval. It describes the special admin features, and goes into voluminous detail about the history and specifications of each of the 8 starfighters (and the *cough*bonus vehicles too*cough*). I am hoping we can release the manual ASAP so you can get a head start learning about the mod and have your FAQs answered. It is in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format so you will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader (if you don't already have it), available here.

I think what he means with 2. is that in space there is no gravity. But in jka the starfighters are always having the same side up. Which shoudlnt matter as the pilot in the plane will not be bashed into the ceiling if he flies upside down in space. So he basically asks if you can flip your plane in Asteroids.

ding ding ding... tell em what he won Bob...

as per #2 say like in destroyer you are on top of it and flip it to where you are upside down but in view actually the destroyer is upside down and you are right side up... there is no horizontal in space it is full 360 view so the objects should be located and positioned according to your view... not just right side up...ya follow?

OK, I understand what you are asking (now).

It is like the Star Destroyer Siege map. I think it is because the Quake III\Jedi Academy engine wasn't designed for flight simulation. It's actually pretty amazing that an engine designed for FPS action games is capable of being modded into a vehicular space combat game (although not a perfect flight simulator).

If you want to get technical, there is gravity in space (near objects like the sun and planets), and "laser" blasts should be traveling at the speed of light, not so slowly that you can see them like tracer bullets. And since your viewpoint is outside the ship (in space), you shouldn't hear any sounds either. On and on it goes. It's just a game, adapt to what it is and have fun.

Plane? do you see in planes?

I see what you mean about the rolling, but seeing as how the ships in the original trilogy never really showed any kind of corkscrew manuever, it was not put into the mod. Also with the camera tracking the ship, it will always remain behind the ship , although with certain manipulative tricks, you can force the camera to do things for you, limited, but still.

Well, keep in mind that Star Wars has never been super-realistic for space combat. Ships are almost always "right side up" in the movies. And for some reason there's sound in space. Still, I see what you mean, though. With no constant to compare it to, "right side up" and "upside down" are no longer applicable in space.

Don't think of Asteroids and Siege Destroyer as Flight Sims, rather think of them as an arcade style "Rogue Squadron" mod for Jedi Academy.

It takes the unrealistic space combat of Star Wars and puts it into a fun, fast and low-learning curve game designed for thrills. ; )

To answer your questions, the ship handling in Asteroids and Destroyer will be the same. If Asteroids makes any changes at all (minor tweaks) to the vehicle handling, you'll see those in Destroyer as well since the two are the same thing, just using different game modes and maps.

Archived