Home

Why Lucasarts cancelled it

lagamorph321

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is the whole point. LucasArts seems to be more effort into producing console game, that even though they suck do better sales wise than an adventure PC game would.

Don't be too quick to say that LucasArts is letting Star Wars push other games out of the way. They are still making quite a few non-Star Wars games, and even those Star Wars games they are producing are of uneven quality.

It seems the good old days where LucasArts was merely trying to put out a good game have been replaced with "screw whether it is good or not, it has to be VERY profitable.

I'm guessing that LucasArts assumed that adventure gaming was dead due to poor sales of Grim Fandango (Anyone have sales figures?). But this is a game based on the Mexican holiday Day of the Dead and a lead character with a cylindrical shapped skull. Not the kind of things that inspire high sales.

Originally posted by toenail1

actually, they didnt go wrong with enter the matrix

IT SUCKED!!! but somehow it sold well.... im still trying to do the math to figure how that game sold well

Why can't I stop watching those dancing monkeys?

Originally posted by Dr Edison 007

Hey Murray, I know what you can yell: Please gimme back my Sam & Max or I'll continue to bug the hell out of people on the internet by making up stupid ways to get my revenge on you.

Listen man, you really need to lighten up, a lot. Its cool that your always putting your two cents in, but you dont have to be so mean all the time. Could you just try and lighten up a little up?

Originally posted by Rabbit Thingy

I'm guessing that LucasArts assumed that adventure gaming was dead due to poor sales of Grim Fandango (Anyone have sales figures?).

If that was really the case then I doubt that they ever would have even started production on this game, since GF was published in '97. A lot of money was spent in getting this game as far along as it was. No point in even considering putting thousands of bucks into a game that you know you'll never release...

It had to be something a lot more recent that changed thier mind. Perhaps they were watching the sales of other adventure games being released by competitors.

Perhaps it was a memo that came down from the upper echelons of managment that said "URGENT COST-CUTTING MEASURES: STOP ALL PRODUCTION ON ANY GAME THAT ISN'T GUARANTEED SALES OF (X) COPIES!!!" and maybe it was decided that this was the only game currently in production that met the bill... who knows?!?

Until someone talks, that is...

Here's what I think you should chant:

HELL, NO! WE WON'T ALLOW THIS!

HELL, NO! WE WON'T ALLOW THIS!

LUCASARTS IS A BIG, FAT JERK!

LUCASARTS IS A BIG, FAT JERK!

ARE WE FANS OR ARE WE MISANTHROPES?

ARE WE FANS OR ARE WE MISANTHROPES?

NO MORE CANCELLATIONS! NO MORE CANCELLATIONS!

NO MORE CANCELLATIONS! NO MORE CANCELLATIONS!

SAM & MAX!

SAM & MAX!

FREELANCE POLICE!

FREELANCE POLICE!

WE'RE STRONG!

WE'RE STRONG!

WE FIGHT!

WE FIGHT!

WE'RE KILLER BUNNIES TONIGHT!

ALL RIGHT!

Steve Purcell would love nothing more than to do just that, but its owned by some company that he has no control over, so it would be completely up to them if they wanted to do something like that. If someone would be nice enough to find out what company that would be and post it here, maybe we could do something like e-mailing then [but not bugging them] to see if they would be willing to give it a shot. But it might be tough, seeing as weve been trying to do this with lucasarts in some sence.

They cancel it for the same reasons why they cancel other games. Because they can!!! Look at the poor selection of titles Lucasarts is offering during E3 2004 this may. Star Wars Battlefront on PC/PS2/X-box, Star Wars Republic Commando on PC/X-box, Star Wars Galaxies:Jump to Lightspeed on PC, Mercenaries on PS2/X-box, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic for Macintosh, and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords for PC/X-box. I feel bad for PS2, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, and Macintosh video game players.

I have heard sales for 2003 non-star wars titles like Gladius, RTX Red Rock, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, and Wrath Unleashed for all versions that came out was average or terrible. I mean you can get RTX Red Rock from Wal-mart for $9.00 dollars now.

• 2 weeks later...

I also think that cancelling the game sucks - someone said something about an online petion that we could sign - I and about 20 of my buds would gladly sign if someone could direct me to a site. Sam & Max just isn't an adventure game - IT'S A WAY OF LIFE. Come on LucasArts put the game back into production -you knuckle-heads.

Originally posted by Murray the Chao

Then we must make their forum suffer until they give up. Jay the ****ing admin deserves it for locking the petition topic earlier today.

Several people tried this when those forums originally opened. They were all locked and deleted. Please don't continue this kind of action, it does nothing but piss off the people at LucasArts and if you want them to ever even consider finishing the game (they won't by the way) then you need to not make them angry.

Friggin'... I'd been waiting for this for a *long* time. Just happened to pick up CGW today (for the Tribes/T2 DVD) and read about this in the "letters" section.

Sorry, my respect for Lucasarts (and, honestly, Lucas-anything) has just continued to slide downhill. I mean, really:

-Used to put out a variety of *good* games, Star Wars related or not.

- Used to take chances.

Now:

-Mostly Star Wars related, and console-themed (even on the PC side, which make *those* suffer.)

- Even if it's not, they screw up their *own* properties. (I was looking forward to Secret Weapons over Normandy, having liked SWOTL... until SWON turned out to be an arcade game, not a sim.)

- Lucas himself gives up story in his milk-cow SW franchise for more "speed" and kiddie effects

- Starwars.com hides its decent content behind "Hyperspace" - after how many years, and does this for Ep 3, not 1 or 2...

I think the bean counters have taken control over from the artists and people who just love the games and movies.

So, IMHO... Lucas(inc) is dying as a producer of art, and becoming another corporate monolith.

RIP.

Archived