Home

cliffs

Ockniel

ok, I search through pages and pages of results for like half an hour and it was all wasted...

anyways, how can I make cliffs that look "real"? I tried the bobtools plugin thing or whatever, but it has lots of claulky lines all through it and If you just make tons of peices it doesnt look good, takes an Uber long time to make, and puts your FPS in the sky, so, how do ya do it?:confused:

If you want them REAL then you should switch to Unreal technology;). But even then you must use the 3D modeling software - like 3DS.

Use it to create a cliff or rock and then export them as an ASE. In JKA an ASE model has a limitation of 1024 vertexes so you'll probably have to divide long cliffs into few pieces. Finally you should put the clip brush around it to block the player – I don't know why but the “native” clipping in ASE doesn't work.

Have you got the UT2K or 2004? Try to switch the r_mode to see how they did it.

If you don't have any 3D modeling software then you can model the cliff in Radiant (bobtoolz) and apply the phong shaded texture. It will make it smoother.

You'll quickly find it as the most difficult thing.

umm, no mslaf, I don't have any modeling software, and I already did the bobstools plugin, I dont know if that texture will help much cause there are lots of ya know little lines (like I already said)

and Mercenary, Im checking your links now

thanks guys

You can try GenSurf, I'm guessing that's what you mean by the "bobztools plugin" (the two are unrelated). But I would REALLY suggest checking this out:

http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=12

Another thing you can do is look at some of the game-included terrain models (from Tatooine, Vjun, and Hoth). For example, a Tatooine cave model or Hoth mountain. You can find a full list of all game-default models here.

Originally posted by {NJO}*Dark

the best way that i have found (is also easier and creates better resaults) is to make a load of brushes sat 256*256*256 in a line, possable having several stacks of them then just vertex edit them in random directions.

Or use Gtk GenSurf and choose a random fractal option, it'll do all that for you.

In any case...I can't pimp rgoer's tutorial enough. With a good heightmap, EasyGen can make some damn good terrains. Looks better than the pointy results random vertex editing will give you.

I was trying Mercenary's tutorial becuse it seems the easiest :p and when I did the phong shader thing and tried to bsp I got this:

ParseShaderFile(): shaders/air_duel.shader, line 16: { not found!

Found instead: (02)

Last known shader: (01)

heres my shader:

(01) //==================================================

(02) // airduel.shader

(03) //==================================================

(04) textures/air_duel/rock_test

(05) {

(06) q3map_nonplanar

(07) q3map_shadeangle 60

(08) qer_editorimage textures/myrock/rock_test_phong.jpg

(09) {

(10) map $lightmap

(11) rgbGen identity

(12) }

(13) {

(14) map textures/air_duel/rock_test.tga

(15) blendFunc filter

(16) }

(17) }

My mapname is "phongtest"

my textures name are "airduel"

my textures name is "rock_test"

I have these: "rock_test_phong.jpg"

"rock_test.tga"

I also added "air_duel" to the shaderlist.txt

how can I fix it?

In any case...I can't pimp rgoer's tutorial enough. With a good heightmap, EasyGen can make some damn good terrains. Looks better than the pointy results random vertex editing will give you. [/b]

What seems to me to be a good thing to do is to use TerraGen with the For Export Only plugin. You can then use TerraGen to generate a really nice heightmap, export it to a .bmp, and then load into Easygen. The min heightmap size with TerraGen is 129x129, but you could use a paint package to shrink it.

Of course, I don't actually have anything to show for my efforts yet... :)

Archived