Home

these things happen

"hey ursula, you know what? there is this guy in my class. and he's living in your hood. he's soo cute. unluckily i have this thing with long distance relationships. wont you give him overwhelming sexual satisfaction? he is soo worth it."

happens to me all the time :rolleyes:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kylilin

Going through life second guessing every move you did or didn't make is a waste of time. Live in the moment, it's the only way to go.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Thinking about choices made in the past and mistakes you have made when faced with those decisions can help you when faced with similar choices down the road. Self-reflection is rarely a bad thing. It can be taken to extremes, (like most human endevors) to the point that it renders someone frozen and incapable of making a spur-of-the-moment decision. But as an occasional practice, where one looks back upon the paths that have brought you here, it can be very revealing to the forces in your life that have shaped who you are now.

That being said: This is just a thought experiment. Kinda like the game where you think "If I were to live my life up this point again, knowing everything I know now,.. what would I change?"

(By the way: I really can't stand the people who say when faced with that proposal, "I wouldn't change anything!" If you really had your life over again with the sum of your experiences intact, everybody WOULD make some alterations.)

I'm a little insulted that some of you thought:

good times in college = drinking your face off....

totally not true. If i didnt go away to college and be SOCIAL i would never meet kids form round the US and learn different things they do for fun and such. Example, i would have never meet my friend from Boulder, CO and go to Winter Park on a great ski trip last year. Nor would I have met a freind from Florida and stay at his summer place on Miami Beach going Jet skiing. I know this thread kinda changed directions since my last post - but like my Bronx companion said - yoi have to live in the moment - reflect what you did in the past ONLY as to influnece your decisions for the now and future. If I was cramped up in my dorm all 4 years and been against the public and shy, i woulda never had half th eexperience i have had because i wouldnt have the pair to go and do it myself.

Now, I will also not say that my parallel self woul dmake all the same decisions, of course not ! And do i regreat some of my decions?? Of course ! But no time ot lament when the best years of my life are now, and hopefully for all you too....

Originally posted by edlib

If you really had your life over again with the sum of your experiences intact, everybody WOULD make some alterations.

i would stop being so shy and do it with astrid, tina, steffi and maybe anja.. err.. ok. i would surely do it with anja. but i wouldnt do it with kathrin. no. i rather would cut her off after the first half year instead of taking it to 5 years of completely wasted time.. or.. i think i wont even go to the club where i met her, so the police wont take me, put me in the car where some other police officer is going to destroy 4 years of orthodontic treatment with one punch because he is obviously a complete asshat. besides.. i was the wrong guy, and he lost his job.. wait. i got 3000 bucks from him because of that.. hmm.. what a decision: 3000 bucks or "nice" teeth. all that depending to the choice of wearing a white basecap. tsk. life is screwed up. but i should have taken it as some sort of bad sign.

ok. however. i would definitly have done it with anna-marie and anna, too.

tja. i could have had so much "luuurve" instead of just touching some boobies.

:)

(By the way: I really can't stand the people who say when faced with that proposal, "I wouldn't change anything!" If you really had your life over again with the sum of your experiences intact, everybody WOULD make some alterations.)

I wouldn't change anything. There were a few key events in there that I wouldn't mind having another shot at, but in order to set them up, I'd have to haved lived the 20 years before those events over again exactly.

I'm convinced that everybody would try to make some alterations if they found themselves in thier own, younger self, but retaining thier memory. It's just the nature of us. Besides,.. it would be a rather dull ride back if you just repeated everything knowing exactly what was coming next,.. like 20+ years of non-stop Deja Vu. (Vonnegut had a book about just that very thing... not one of his best, but an interesting idea.) You would eventually try something new just out of sheer boredom, if for no other reason.

For example; I'm pretty sure I would lobby my parents to get in on the ground floor and invest in a little tech-company out of Seattle called Microsoft as soon as it went public.

A couple of years later I might take my life savings and throw it at the IPO of a little PC maker from Texas called Dell when the time came.

I'd definately pick up the guitar as soon as I could hold it. It would take me a couple of years to get my fingers trained, but I would know EXACTLY what to practice, and I would already have all the theory behind me. Someone my age and with the chops that I have now on guitar is no great shakes... far, far less than a dime a dozen.

BUT an 6 to 8-year old, playing like I do now back in the mid-to-late-'70s would be a bit of a sensation... and I could do all of Van Halen's stuff before Van Halen breaks big. :D

That kind of stuff...

And which one of us would just sit by when September 11, 2001 started to draw near? I'm not sure exactly what I would do, but I'm sure I would try something. How about trying to stop the Challenger from going up? Or Reagan getting shot?

I might be a bit young to be taken seriously when a few of those events take place,.. but it would be worth a shot.

At the very least I could have a lucrative career as a psychic to augment my rapidly skyrocketing stock portfolio when my musical prodigy status started to fizzle.

And don't ever tell me you wouldn't be tempted to do the same. ;)

:joy:

And which one of us would just sit by when September 11, 2001 started to draw near? I'm not sure exactly what I would do, but I'm sure I would try something. How about trying to stop the Challenger from going up? Or Reagan getting shot?

I'd let all those happen. Some things just have to happen. At least that's what Superman says whenever horrible, world changing tradegies happen.

Particularly Reagan getting shot. Our Glorious Leader was the only one would could break the curse.

Actually, I probably would stop 9/11. The other two are extremely out of my power, being four when Challenger exploded.

Although going into high school knowing exactly what was going to happen would be pretty sweet.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

I'd let all those happen. Some things just have to happen. At least that's what Superman says whenever horrible, world changing tradegies happen.

Actually, I probably would stop 9/11. The other two are extremely out of my power, being four when Challenger exploded.

The notion that you would consider lettin something like 9/11 happen is very very very troublesome.......:indif:

I really hope you didnt mean that

Originally posted by gmarti01

The notion that you would consider lettin something like 9/11 happen is very very very troublesome.......:indif:

I really hope you didnt mean that

I'm sorta with Nute, not sure, some things HAVE to happen to allow other good things to change. Say you stopped 9/11, and instead the defining mooment of this decade was instead some Al-Qaeda setting off a dirty bomb in dowtown NYC.........see how thats a double edged sword?

Why is it? The US needed to buckle down and go after terrorists. There had to be a trigger event. If 9/11 was thwarted, they'd just try something again. That wasn't the first time they were planning

multiple hijackings on a single day. Now, their network is in ruins, their assets seized, and they have more pressing matters (i.e., defend their cave) to deal with than carry out operations on US soil.

On the same side of the coin, I wouldn't have stopped the Black Hand from killing Archduke Ferdinand, the Japanese from attacking Pearl Harbor, explain what happened to the Maine, tell them what would really happen at teh Gulf of Tonkin, told Kennedy not to drive past teh Texas school book depositiory, and all that kind of stuff.

Some times the big events, while awful, aren't the worst possible outcome. Maybe after the mysterious failure of their WTC and Pentagon attacks, they decided "**** it, let's spend all our money and buy that bomb from Pakistan."

Why is it? The US needed to buckle down and go after terrorists. There had to be a trigger event. If 9/11 was thwarted, they'd just try something again. That wasn't the first time they were planning

multiple hijackings on a single day. Now, their network is in ruins, their assets seized, and they have more pressing matters (i.e., defend their cave) to deal with than carry out operations on US soil.

On the same side of the coin, I wouldn't have stopped the Black Hand from killing Archduke Ferdinand, the Japanese from attacking Pearl Harbor, explain what happened to the Maine, tell them what would really happen at teh Gulf of Tonkin, told Kennedy not to drive past teh Texas school book depositiory, and all that kind of stuff.

Some times the big events, while awful, aren't the worst possible outcome. Maybe after the mysterious failure of their WTC and Pentagon attacks, they decided "**** it, let's spend all our money and buy that bomb from Pakistan."

Listen, I completely agree with both you and Zaargon on what you said bout 9/11 being a trigger event to destroying terrorist networks, etc etc and yea, if 9/11 was thwarted they probably would have tried something else. I am from and live NYC, so the topic is very very senstive to me as i know several people whose lives where very affected (some shattered) by the events of that day, and to hear someone say they may not have stopped it if they could, just makes my blood boil. I;m sure you could understand it if you were in my place

Again, I agree with what you both said, Im just senstive to the topic....

What about living life from a buddha point of view (outside of space/time, so to speak) and thinking of this present causal reality as the quantum chain of events that you prefer to be following? After all, the *present* point in time is merely where you happen to be *looking* on the timeline at the moment...

Noot: Your only hope in ever attaining a woman is to win the lottery and put an ad in the paper. ;) You're like me--too interested in them as people to focus on boobies business and getting relegated to the hated *friend* category for it.

:dozey: Meh.

To-day, I saw every girl I had even teh briefest crush on at this here campus at least once. That never happened any other day ever. Clearly the universe was mocking me and I told the universe it can cram it with walnuts.

The problem with the women-folk is they're too foolish to realize what they're missing out on. Except this one girl. I think she figured it out but she's like a rental car, if you catch my meaning. I've got no problem buying pre-owned, but even I have my limits and the one everyone's used for a couple days is too much for me. wink wink.

My calculations show that no good can come of that one, so we've decided to move on. Hopefully this line will be successful.

The problem with the women-folk is they're too foolish to realize what they're missing out on. Except this one girl. I think she figured it out but she's like a rental car, if you catch my meaning. I've got no problem buying pre-owned, but even I have my limits and the one everyone's used for a couple days is too much for me. wink wink.

I want you to know I was cracking up when I read this - its all too true, all too true....:clap2:

Lemme tell you what I oberved in college about gettin girls:

1) If oyu wanted the one night stand - well everyone knows this to be true....get em drunk. Girls love to use it as an excuse, and if oyu dont feel guilty about it in the morning then its no harm to foul. Not really classy, but works

2) The serious kind of girl. I foudn 4 places in college to meet a real sweet girl: the library, church, a habitat for hummanity or outreach trip, and certain on campus jobs like tutoring. You'll meet the sweetest girls there and make some real great friends

*swoops out of nowhere, nukes Zoomie, grabs girl, and thumbs nose at 568*

;)

*runs into tree*

Ow. . .

Anyhoo, my problem is that I'm too picky. Like Nute and Zoomie, I always nd up as the "friend." By the time I realize I'm interested in a girl, she's introduced me to her boyfriend, who is typically 6'4" and looks like a Calvin Klein model.

Also, my past decisions (the whole "how did we get here" thing Nute was talking about) have made me who I am. I wouldn't want to change much, 'cause despite everything, I like being who I am.

OTOH, those same choices have left me here, pinned to a metaphorical tree like InuYasha, waiting for someone who's as far out of this world (philosophically) as I am. Someone who probably doesn't even exist (who, if she's smart, will have explicitly avoided the choices that would've made her this way).

Originally posted by Flying Beastie

pinned to a metaphorical tree like InuYasha

Inuyasha should be nailed to a phone pole and thrown into a sea of fire. And not any metaphorical tree or sea of fire. The real kind.

:ewok:

You know, I'd thought of something and then after I clicked on that ewok I noticed there's a whopping 453 smilies on the loose. Then I forgot what I was going to talk about.

:laughing: what the unholy **** is this

:king2: King2? KING2? More like QUEEN2 am i rite

:beam2: I can't imagine any situation to use this in

:imp: What, is this a chupacabra or something

:cowdance haha

:mm1 Do the kids these days enough know what this is? The other day I said something about the Noid and people looked at me like I'd just arrived from Mars. And came out of a ****ing time machine from another dimension. And murdered their dog.

Because I know that the 7up spot is red, this :yeldance: is an affront to all that is good and pure in teh world.

In conclusion, kids these day should stay off my lawn.

Archived