Home

Radar -- what do you all think?

VanLingo

You say that you need radar for tactics, but when you are the atacking team, you may wish to start tactics where radar is a bad thing. Suprise atacks would be impossible with long range radar. So I'm against that.

Short range? I don't know. It might be realistic, as most people in real life know if somebody stays behind them. But I think 200 meters is already to much. I don't think people should know in what direction enemies are hiding behind the trees, it could make the game less exciting.

I think it all depends on the circumstances. If you are walking an AT-AT, it wouldn't interest me if players know where I am, so generally spoken, I don't think radar would hurt much on maps like Geonosis. However, on Endor I wouldn't want a radar. Just for the variety of also having a stealth like level. On other maps limited range radars may be nice. But I'm afraid they won't put different radars on different maps.

<>Mountainforest

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In general I agree with the statement that radar is necessary in a game like SWBF.

Originally posted by jasperw

You say that you need radar for tactics, but when you are the atacking team, you may wish to start tactics where radar is a bad thing. Suprise atacks would be impossible with long range radar. So I'm against that.

I also mentioned earlier that if a game includes radar there should be ways to evade radar. I suggested stealth suits, false radar signatures, and jamming equipment; however I do agree that without implementing evasion techniques that long range radar could change the way the game is played.

Short range? I don't know. It might be realistic, as most people in real life know if somebody stays behind them. But I think 200 meters is already to much. I don't think people should know in what direction enemies are hiding behind the trees, it could make the game less exciting.

I think it all depends on the circumstances. If you are walking an AT-AT, it wouldn't interest me if players know where I am, so generally spoken, I don't think radar would hurt much on maps like Geonosis. However, on Endor I wouldn't want a radar. Just for the variety of also having a stealth like level. On other maps limited range radars may be nice. But I'm afraid they won't put different radars on different maps.

<>Mountainforest

All of these issues would be resolved if servers are allowed to set radar preferences. The radar options that I would most like to see at the server level are:

*Teammates only displayed on radar

*Opponents only displayed on radar

*Both teams displayed on radar

*Adjustable radar range (examples: 50m, 100m, 200m settings)

*Color settings (Both teams displayed in preferred colors)

I posted these earlier, but I wanted to clarify what options I was referring to.

And jasperw, use quotes next time you have a comment about a specific post. I assume that you were referring to my earlier post, but just to make it clear reference the original post.

Idei

Originally posted by Idei

Example: Rebel scout spots enemy movement on her radar. Quick voice communication to the team lets them know an AT-ST, Tie Fighter and several Stormtroopers are moving in her direction. Team brings in X-Wing, couple of speeder bikes, and Vanguards to deal with the enemy contact.

This is also plausible without radar. Rebel scout visually spots units and calls in reinforcements; however, upon arriving they will have very little information about where the attacking force is located. In other words, the battle that ensues will be chaotic without the tactical benefits of radar. It would be fun, but most of the players would just be shooting at random targets rather than than performing as a cohesive unit.

You are far too trusty of the avarage player, as we both know that this won't happen, unless a very experienced clan is involved.

Originally posted by Lt. Havoc

If you're needing a radar which shows enemy positions dust off your N64 and play Goldeneye.

Woohoo! Goldeneye. But on topic, you guys are paying attention to my earlie post, third from the top. The radar is opnly going to show the spawn points of the enemy, not the enemy himself. (lets face it, pretty much no girls are playing this game, we're on our own.) Thats how the radar's going to work.

Originally posted by yaebginn

I said 'himself' not bothering to say 'him/herself' since I knew thatd pretty muhc only guys would be playing this game. You seem to be a little angry about that. Go get a gilrfriend.

Actually, I just didn't get it. Now that you explain it to me it makes sense. Don't always be so negative.

lol

tFighter, you're quickly becoming the King of Flame.

The f@ck does this have to do with anything?
Yaeb's post makes more sense than yours. You ought to just keep your mouth shut.

Back to the topic:

Havoc -- it's been said that sniper shots will not be the regular red/blue laser bolts that we see. Rather, they'll be a translucent white line that will be easy to miss if you're not watching.

That said, I still think that radar is a bad idea.

Yaeb -- just to clear it up, the article said that radar showed each player, not just spawn points.

And jasperw, use quotes next time you have a comment about a specific post. I assume that you were referring to my earlier post, but just to make it clear reference the original post.

I was refering to all your posts actually, wich are quit a lot ;), but I probably should have included your name. Sory for that.

As for the topic: I agree with you server options and anti-radar gadgets would be the best solution. I just don't think that's realistic. If the boys at lucasarts give us the choise between the "I see evrything radar" and the "I only see teammembers radar". I would like the last one best. Sounds like another point for the modding comunity.

<>Mountainforest

Originally posted by VanLingo

lol

tFighter, you're quickly becoming the King of Flame.

Yaeb's post makes more sense than yours. You ought to just keep your mouth shut.

Back to the topic:

Havoc -- it's been said that sniper shots will not be the regular red/blue laser bolts that we see. Rather, they'll be a translucent white line that will be easy to miss if you're not watching.

That said, I still think that radar is a bad idea.

Yaeb -- just to clear it up, the article said that radar showed each player, not just spawn points.

I didn't flame, I just write The f@ck instead of What. For example, instead of What's up, I'll write The f@ck's up... that didn't sound so goood...

Anyway, BACK TO TOPIC! I like pie.

lukeiamyourdad, I dont know how you drew that conclusion. and if I was, I wouldnt be enjoying it.

Well, you've said that almost only guys will play this game thus insulting female gamers(which I would like to point out, are more numerous then you imagine. You have no idea how many female FPS players there are) and women in general saying they wouldn't enjoy this game.

Any men woulld know not to say that kind of crap if they were in a good relationship.

Besides it's a damn sarcastic joke, don't be so stuck up.

luke you're being a hypocrite, so was my statement. (a joke that is) so cool your jets. alot of members on this forum are so annoying. trying to act big. I know there are female gamers, but the percentage of them versus male gamers is almost obselete. And besides, serious relationships are not my forte. They cost alot more money.

ok, back no topic. Where did you hear that radar would show individual enemies, post a linkl.

The article I found had the opposite:

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=18554

Your onscreen HUD is kept pretty clean and simple so as not to deter from the ongoing action. Most notable is the minimap on the bottom left, showing your team members, direction, objectives and the spawn points (pressing the “M” key will bring up a larger version of that very same map). Apart from that, there is the ticket counter in the top middle of the screen, which measures your success or defeat, depending on the amount of spawn points you hold.

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

You are far too trusty of the avarage player, as we both know that this won't happen, unless a very experienced clan is

involved.

We?

You've never stated an opinion on this subject tFighterPilot,

so rather than making personal attacks on my position post

your own opinion.

Get some experience with games that support voice communication and you will know what i'm talking about.

Idei

We?

You've never stated an opinion on this subject tFighterPilot,

so rather than making personal attacks on my position post

your own opinion.

Get some experience with games that support voice communication and you will know what i'm talking about.

Idei

Yeah, I played UT2K4. The voice communication was great for people to say Hi.

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

Yeah, I played UT2K4. The voice communication was great for people to say Hi.

then you haven't played with the right players. Find some serious players and you will understand how effective voice communication is in a game.

UT2K4 has radar btw and it works well in that game.

So that leads me to ask, what is your point about radar. None of your posts have actually stated an opinion on the topic: radar.

Idei

Archived