Home

Lightsaber upgrades in KotORII:TSL

Achilles

My apologies if this is old news, but since this is the first I've heard of it, I imagine that no one else has either.

From the Devs:

4.) To a previous question you answered there were 3 additional lightsaber upgrade slots, could you explain what you will be able to put in these and what effects they will have?

The new slots are: lens, emitter, energy cell.

This means that you will be able to upgrade the saber blade via the focusing crystals and the saber hilt via these new slots. No news on what they do yet, but that won't stop us from speculating, I'm sure.

Originally posted by kome566

OMG! Awesome! I havent heard this :p but now im even more physched about TSL now! But can this be like JKA?!?!?!?:confused: . . .lmao.... but i like the new elite idea.maybe they'll allow you to make your own jedi robes? :D

I haven't seen anything from the Devs regarding the robes, other than some discussion on hoods (some will have them and some will not). Nothing regarding robe upgrades...yet.

So that means there will be 6 total slots for a saber huh?

Color crystal, the other 2 focusing crystals, plus the new Lens, Emitter, and Energy Cell...

Pretty cool! :D Thanks for the heads up Achillies! :D

And I thought my modded items are powerful now Muahahahahaha!!!

Originally posted by RedHawke

So that means there will be 6 total slots for a saber huh?

Color crystal, the other 2 focusing crystals, plus the new Lens, Emitter, and Energy Cell...

Pretty cool! :D Thanks for the heads up Achillies! :D

And I thought my modded items are powerful now Muahahahahaha!!!

I imagine that lightsabers will be more diverse rather than more powerful. Meaning the most maxed out saber in KotOR might be the same as the most maxed out saber in TSL. The difference would be 2 or 3 upgrades for one weapon and 5 or 6 for the other.

Wait til you see what they've done with stims and medpacs....

^^^^

I highly doubt there will be any real comparison between KOTOR and KOTOR:TSL sabers, as Obsidian said they were completely overhauling the item Upgrading systems, this usually means for the better... please note I said 'Usually'.

But it opens up a whole new can of whoopass for us modders! :D

^^^^

I highly doubt there will be any real comparison between KOTOR and KOTOR:TSL sabers, as Obsidian said they were completely overhauling the item Upgrading systems, this usually means for the better... please note I said 'Usually'.

But it opens up a whole new can of whoopass for us modders! :D

I think they were referring to how the weapons are broken down, how skills affect your ability to upgrade weapons, etc. I could be wrong though.

I will be supremely disappointed if they put a bunch of insta-kill weapons in the game.

Originally posted by Achillies

I think they were referring to how the weapons are broken down, how skills affect your ability to upgrade weapons, etc. I could be wrong though.

I agree with you there, but your repair skill won't affect what the upgrade / broken down parts do, just your ability to actually install or assemble them in the first place, it actually sounds like a clever way to put a level cap on some things. Of course that's just my 2 cents! :D

I will be supremely disappointed if they put a bunch of insta-kill weapons in the game.

So would I, those should be cheat only items, in the best of cases! :D

I agree with you there, but your repair skill won't affect what the upgrade / broken down parts do, just your ability to actually install or assemble them in the first place, it actually sounds like a clever way to put a level cap on some things. Of course that's just my 2 cents! :D

Agreed. I am grateful that they are attempting to make the skills more of a foundation in the game.

I noticed that in KotOR, Consulars got all of the force points and all of the force powers. Guardians got all of the vitality points and all of the feats. Sentinels got all of the skills and a nice mix of VP and FP. Sucks for poor Sentinel class that skill points were weak, for the most part. I was very happy to read that this won't be the case in II

Agreed. I am grateful that they are attempting to make the skills more of a foundation in the game.

Being an avid RPG player, you wouldn't believe the reaction I had the first time I got to Taris from the Endar Spire and went to upgrade the Prototype Vibroblade with the Energy Projector you get as well, and it just went into place and worked, No repair skill checks or anything... I was completely taken aback!!!

Apparently, somebody at Obsidian felt that way too as skills are going to become a more significant part of the game, and that is nothing but good news.

I also hope that in KOTOR:TSL you can also mess up (Read: Fail a Repair Roll Miserably) when assembling broken down components for new items, and have to find new ones and start making the item over, that would add a whole new and more realistic expirience with the workbench... In my opinion anyway! :D

And that's good to hear about the Jedi classes! :D

I also hope that in KOTOR:TSL you can also mess up (Read: Fail a Repair Roll Miserably) when assembling broken down components for new items, and have to find new ones and start making the item over, that would add a whole new and more realistic expirience with the workbench... In my opinion anyway! :D

That does sound kinda cool.

BTW, just checked out the HK thing...way cool. Going to have to change my NPC mod now to replace someone else.

I imagine that lightsabers will be more diverse rather than more powerful. Meaning the most maxed out saber in KotOR might be the same as the most maxed out saber in TSL. The difference would be 2 or 3 upgrades for one weapon and 5 or 6 for the other.

Wait til you see what they've done with stims and medpacs....

Achillies, where did you hear all this? I thought I had read every release on KOTOR II, but I never saw the 6 slotted lightsaber.

Can you post the link if there is one?

An upgrade that i would like to see for lightsabers is being able to have a slanted one like Darth Tryanns did lol im not calling him by count doku becuse that makes him sound like he has his own cereral like count chocalia or whatever LOL.

:p :p

NOOOOO!!! I gotta wear a crappy robe with a hood instead of a good +atribute robe?!?!!?!?!? :mad: They should like stick in a different fighting mode like you hold a lightsaber regular and have the off-hand one upside down....I practice 2 weapon fighting like that! :D :D

And that is also the easiest solution to their limited xbox memory probem! :D

DAMN X-BOX TO HELL (and Micro$oft while I'm at it).

At least some robes will have hoods, and they will all(?) have flowing capes.

As for the thre extra upgrades in the saber:

Lens: Maybe change the length of the saber? (long like Malak's, to short like a pocket knife (precision cuts into boxes?))

Emitter: Change the look of the saber (fatter inner glow, or slimmer (so there is more color of the outer glow))

Energy Cell: More powerful attacks? (More Energy = more damage, or more energy = more limb chopping (cheat only option, if at all))

Just some ideas. Comments?

:fett:

Originally posted by jedi_5002

Lens: Maybe change the length of the saber? (long like Malak's, to short like a pocket knife (precision cuts into boxes?))

Emitter: Change the look of the saber (fatter inner glow, or slimmer (so there is more color of the outer glow))

Energy Cell: More powerful attacks? (More Energy = more damage, or more energy = more limb chopping (cheat only option, if at all))

I imagine that each upgrade with have a different effect, depending on the weapon, just the upgrades in KotOR. For instance the Improved Energy Cell did not have the same attribute enhancement on every melee weapon. On some it added keen, on others damage bonuses, etc.

Unless the completely scrapped that and make the upgrades consistent *shrug*

It doesn't look like a flowing cape, but a flowing robe like the Jedi wear and Darth Maul wore, and from what I've seen. :D

While I must say those ideas rock! :D I don't see how they could be done with the KOTOR game engine, that would require a new model and textures for each upgrade and that would be more than difficult to do, even for Obsidian.

I agree with Achillies in that they will probably function just like how the Vibroblade Upgrades function, and the original crystal slots will enhance the saber further, making the sabers in KOTOR:TSL markedly better than in KOTOR, not overkill mind you but just better overall, with the right set of upgrades of course.

Or just a thought;

Another possibility for the existance of these 3 new upgrade parts, is not for upgrading at all, it could be to create the custom saber hilts that KOTOR:TSL is supposed to have, your saber model in the game would be comprised of the 3 basic saber model components, Lens (Saber Bottom), Emitter (Saber Top), and Energy Cell (Saber Body), that could be what Obsidian did to implement custom lightsaber hilts into the game.

With something like 12 different Emitters, 12 different Lenses, and 8 or so different Energy Cells the possible combinations for customised Lightsabers are pretty wide open.

Just my 2 cents! :D

Another possibility for the existance of these 3 new upgrade parts, is not for upgrading at all, it could be to create the custom saber hilts that KOTOR:TSL is supposed to have, your saber model in the game would be comprised of the 3 basic saber model components, Lens (Saber Bottom), Emitter (Saber Top), and Energy Cell (Saber Body), that could be what Obsidian did to implement custom lightsaber hilts into the game.

With something like 12 different Emitters, 12 different Lenses, and 8 or so different Energy Cells the possible combinations for customised Lightsabers are pretty wide open.

Just my 2 cents! :D

Obsidian mentioned that it would be harder to get your lightsaber in TSL. Maybe rather than being upgrades, these are the components that you must find in order to build your lightsaber. That would be frickin' awesome.

Obsidian mentioned that it would be harder to get your lightsaber in TSL. Maybe rather than being upgrades, these are the components that you must find in order to build your lightsaber. That would be frickin' awesome.

That is exactly what I was thinking... and Yes it would rock!!! :rock:

Also it would allow for a pretty good amount of customization on our parts by mixing the saber parts. That would also be real cool, everyone wouldn't be running around with the exact same saber handle. :D

This would make the lightsabers actually 3 smaller linked models but not impossible to do with the current game engine.

We just might be on to something here! :D

That is exactly what I was thinking... and Yes it would rock!!! :rock:

Also it would allow for a pretty good amount of customization on our parts by mixing the saber parts. That would also be real cool, everyone wouldn't be running around with the exact same saber handle. :D

This would make the lightsabers actually 3 smaller linked models but not impossible to do with the current game engine.

We just might be on to something here! :D

It seems to fit with everything else that we've heard regarding repair related stuff. It seems too good to not be true.

Archived