Home

Worried about the radar

I like seafood

Originally posted by THE BADGER:

Yes I concur. I believe the devs, which have actually played this game for a very long time now and we haven't, know what they are doing. I trust their experience. They know what they are doing so I say let them do their job. I'm not worried at all about the radar.

Exactly, if its that bad, then be can complain for a patch to come out, I'm sure the devs will listen. Most people that have a problem with the radar are those who have played games like Battlefield, and expect to use the same strategies in this one but can't. I feel this is the true reason for the worries. Adjusting to the game will be half the fun. If you hope to play this game like you do Battlefield, then you will not only be disappointed but will lose game play time from getting bored of this game too quickly.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

Truthfully, a lot of guys in these games operate alone. This game is geared towards the battlefield people moreso than that of a game like socom. The reality of it is that there are a lot of would be "Rambo" guys out there and they don't run with the pack in terms of team play, so don't get your hopes up with guys following orders to take out a particular base or whatnot. More often then not you'll see them doing their own thing but there are those precious moments when people will come together and actually have a semblance of teamwork which really helps define a game.

There is no doubt that we will have..."heroes", but for all we know, this game could be geared so that when someone is feeling brave, it may actually pay off. An example would be JA Siege, where one person can go through the level alone (although I'm not implying that that is in any way good). But people will learn that staying close to the team will payoff better. Even if they won't there are still bots. :D

Eh I agree there won't be much teamplay, I'm hoping but its not likely. But If you really think there will be too much going on to not look at the radar your wrong, have you ever played Halo? You can see em on the radar just fine and thats how I track people down. It's not going to be good at all...

Originally posted by Virtuosis

Eh I agree there won't be much teamplay, I'm hoping but its not likely. But If you really think there will be too much going on to not look at the radar your wrong, have you ever played Halo? You can see em on the radar just fine and thats how I track people down. It's not going to be good at all...

Yes, I've played Halo, and the radar isn't really helpful. It may be in Single Player, but it servers little point in Multiplayer. Also the action and speed of this game will probably double that of Halo. I'm tired of fighting for this game, someone needs to take over before this game is nothing but dust do to the before-the-game-releases-rants.

Well, it could work like mech4 did more than bf or regular shooters.

There was radar in there, and you could see the other team, but there was always a catch.They had to be in range of it.

Radar had a 1000 meter range max, or turned on.

There were weapons that went farther than 1000 meters, so you wouldn't see them on the radar.

You could also turn it off, or go passive, which gave it about a 250 meter range.

There were also diff radr devices, one let the players radar go up to 1200 meters, but stuck out like a sore thumb. But, as a sniper player, he could keep that extra 200 meter difference and never get piced up.

Then there was a jammer type of radar add on, which let you see at 1000 meters, but you didn't show up until you were about 600 meters within their radar.

And the servers had the options to turn it off, or to just run friendly, or close range.

A lot of matches were won or lost by radar alone.

What if it worked more along the lines of a g.p.s. tracking sys vs. a regular hud?

Or wheeled/track vehicles could only pick up other wheeled/track, and the same for flying vehicles?

I can see your concern but things will be moving so fast on it you'll proably only see the enemy bases. Anyways just ignore the radar and have fun with the game. I mean if you look at halo you'll see that radar in multiplayer usually means you were staring at it the whole time.

Well from the responses so far it looks like we will just have to wait and see how hectic the game play is.

I'm not hoping for a tactical shooter in this game but from what I gather, it's about controlling command points. Well what if your team has only one spawn point left? You will have no chance to slip off and try to capture another point. Or worse still the opposing team could just spawn camp that one command point as they know where everyone is?

Oh and if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't post please. Anticipation, discussion and speculation is half the fun. Like all of you I hope this will be a great star wars game.

I'll have to take another look at the footage, but how do we know that radar shows your enemies. It could be just a map. It might show just you, your surroundings and landmarks, and probably teammates. Just because the dots are red doesn't mean that it has to be someone rom the opposing team.

I just think you should quit complaining about something you're not even sure about.

Originally posted by THE BADGER:

Yes I concur. I believe the devs, which have actually played this game for a very long time now and we haven't, know what they are doing. I trust their experience. They know what they are doing so I say let them do their job. I'm not worried at all about the radar.

Can you say d1ckholder?

Moderator Note: Do you think this is appropriate? Do not flame other members. You have been warned. ~ TK-8252

BREAKING NEWS in the radar case:

If you haven't heard, this is what the devs mentioned in another topic (although I'm not sure if one is a dev, but he sure sounded like one):

The radar works like so. You are able to see all players on the radar only if they are moving or shooting. There for if you are a sniper you only show up as a flash as you fire your rifle. This feature also allows you to see where the heat of the battle is ie:THE BATTLEFRONT

Oh and your radar question, War dog, has been answered a few times already. The radar problem was handled SO MANY times its untrue. One day we had it so that you could only see your teamates, another we had it so you could see all sides at all times but I think the last version that was shipped is that you only see your enemy if they fire, possibly if they move too. I can't remember now. To be honest it changed that many times I didn't really notice. I am sure one of the designers could post an answer for you. Like I said I was on the art team so I didn't really pay much attention to the game play. All I wanted to do was make it look nice.

This sheds much needed light on the subject. Now I want to hear what people think after it has been confirmed by two individual people. My thoughts are that this way, it works for everyone (well mostly).

I think the radar is bad because it kind of killls any chance of being a sniper and not being able to not be seen. I think that whole dynamic is essential for being a sniper which is not being able to be detected by enemies or even teammates. Takes the fun of being a sniper out and thus there will not be very many........ Hopefully it is an option that is enforced by pure servers.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

I think the radar is bad because it kind of killls any chance of being a sniper and not being able to not be seen. I think that whole dynamic is essential for being a sniper which is not being able to be detected by enemies or even teammates. Takes the fun of being a sniper out and thus there will not be very many........ Hopefully it is an option that is enforced by pure servers.

I don't think it's only bad for snipers, but for all classes. When you know exactly where your enemy is hiding, it takes a lot of fun out of the game.

What could be an idea is an advanced version of the "enemy armor spotted" system from battlefield. If you point your mouse at an enemy and push the right button, it wil be visible on the radar for a while. As if you give the position of the enemy to your teammates using the intercom.

Thanks for posting that info SITH_ShadowCat.

IMO showing up on radar only if you shoot but not when you move is a good compromise. Then you can still hide and be sneaky if you are outnumbered or want to ambush a vehicle.

I guess because the game uses laser bolts it gives your position away whenever you fire, so showing up on the radar when you fire is only logical.

But I must say the radar is pretty sophisticated to track every player's movement and firing. I don't know anything about programming, but it must of been hard to code.

Also that system you mentioned Mountainforest sounds pretty cool but I think in the heat of battle many people would just forget to spot enemy and be just concerned with blowing the hell out of the opponent. :p

Maybe the scout could have a secondary option to spot using his zoom on his rifle.

i hope they will fix the radar like as BF1942 with a patch ..

i agree, this kind of radar take out the surprise effect, u cant hide and wait for the enemies because they already know that you are there since you moved there.. and it's very frustating for a sniper being catched with a radar after the first shot..

Originally posted by I like seafood

Also that system you mentioned Mountainforest sounds pretty cool but I think in the heat of battle many people would just forget to spot enemy and be just concerned with blowing the hell out of the opponent.

It shouldn't be much more work then pressing a hotkey.

Archived