DEV or not DEV.. that is the question.

reltes

is bobby a DEV?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. is bobby a DEV?

• yes
    • no

Hey there,

thanks for the questions regarding your mod. I remember seeing news of your mod when we were a few months into Battlefront. It was very funny seeing that some fans are spending far too much of their own time creating something that we were getting paid to do.

I did have a look at some of your screen shots etc at the time and It looked pretty impressive, but I wasn't worried at all. I must say it didn't inspire us at all. Like I said we learned of it after we were quite far into production.

I don't think the name is a dig at your game but I am not too sure.

I never got to play the game I just didn't have time but I know a few of the designers and programmers played it out of curiosity.

All I can say is well done guys for being such dedicated fans.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Grohl

Just a queston bobby. Why are you here before the release of the game? I thought that you weren't allowed to say anythinguntil the release. And why not telling us your name? You gave us initials and the means to find it out?

I have explained before, I have left Pandemic now and moved onto new things but am in job limbo at the moment awating a start date for my new position. So in my down time I discovered this forum and started posting.

I regards to the not being alllowed to say anything, well the stuff I have been telling you is only stuff thats been released really I am just embellishing whats been said.

The Preacher:

I absolutely loved the BF1942 Galactic Conquest mod, though it missed some vital things like, faster gameplay ( smaller maps might've helped ) and music ......... or did I had turned music off..... in any case I think it was great though a bit hard to use some of the flying vehicles, now I got a question for you.

Will you mod Star Wars Battlefront? Like adding Lambda-class shuttle and some other vehicles ( check the Star Wars Battlefront vehicles thread ) would be great if at least some of those were added. What about creating a space battles in Battlefront, I knew you managed that in GC, but please add it to this aswell plus make some auto-turrets and voila, lots of more action ;) .

And to the devs, every publisher says they support the mod community, but currently the support hasn't been that great from any publisher. Is it possible to perhaps add fan made patch with new vehicles/creatures/NPC etc. as an official patch available to download, I still haven't figured why the publishers never do this, what harm does it cause for players to get extra stuff for free?

well, currently we are near done with version .4 of Galactic Conquest, and ave plans to do at LEASt .5 and .6 (i reckon we probably go further)

As for modifying battlefront, i highly doubt that we will, we have been asked many times if we will move to BF vietnaam, or the BF2 engine, and we arent even sure if we want to do that. besides, SWBF pretty much acomplishes about 80% of what we do anyways , and without seeing the engine, how it works, or any tools for it, we couldnt give a definate answer as to whats possible.

as for music in GC, we are not allowed legally to use John Williams music within the mod. We have our own composers creating Star Wars LIKE tunes atm, but legaly we cant use anything that is original.

its nice to see a fan, especially one that will admit to being a fan on SWBF forums, hehe.

for some Reason GC is like voodoo in here hehe. i mean i have the PS2 demo, and imo, they play COMPLETELY different to each other, which is good for both us and Pandemic and the fans.

2 games similar with totaly different styles of play. :)

hope that answers what you asked :)

Preach

Bobby is a dev. I know because I worked with him on the project. He was one of three lead artists on the project, and did an amazing job making the game look great. (and he did fart a lot).

Then again, how do you know I'm a dev either....

Bobby, if you're reading this, hope the lads are doing well...

Preacher --

With regards to the name "Galactic Conquest -- We had had the idea of linking the battles in our game to provide some continuity to the experience, so it wasn't just playing battle after battle with no consequence. "Galactic Conquest" was the name we came up with because it made the most sense and implied the sense of... well... "conquering the Galaxy". When we found out you guys decided to name your mod that, we were intially upset, but got over it pretty quick (great minds think alike). We even considered changing the name, but ultimately decided it best expressed how the game was played.

As for inspiration -- It's pretty easy to be inspired by anyone making the connection between this style of gameplay and the epic battles of the Star Wars films. We all have the same goal: to deliver on a Star Wars fan's fantasy to recreate the battles from the films. Some of the decisions were no brainers (trenches and Echo Base on Hoth), and some were a bit trickier (should ATATs be mobile Command Posts or spawned vehicles?) but in the end I think you'd agree that both teams were inspired by the same great source material.

Gash so many devs pop out. Why now? To boost the game before release? Well Im happy for any info you can give *hint* PC Demo *hint* ;) . Keep up the good work and please listen to the fans ( the sane ones ) every now and then, we are good at thinking outside the box :cool:

i couldnt agree more cydon prax.

I have been playing the SWBf demo alot lately and i realy like it, id like to get it for PC for the extra graphics and more people to play against online, but i like the splitscreen so me and my brother can play, looking forward to the release.

and i must say that the two games even though set on the same theme play very differently.

as for the name, etc, i was simply just curious as are many of the team, we thought perhaps it was an easter egg by you guys for our team or something hehe.

but yeh roll on september and SWBF.

in teh meantime for those who just cant wait to experience it, either play the demo, or come check GC out, we are about to release version 4, with new maps vehicles and completely redefined class'

also keep a look out for our new trilers. we have 2 trailers releasing this week, one made by me, and one by our project leader. showing off most of the mod.

http://www.galactic-conquest.net

it would be realy sweet if we had a SWBF dev join us for a game or two :)

thx very much for the replys, there quite enlightening.

Preacher

p.s. one last question, If you have had as much grief over getting vehicles weapons etc as pin point accurate as we have lol. i remember one guy posting in our forums that the X-wings nose was approximatly .5 of a meter to long, and the Tie Interceptors wings were to wide. he had provided screenshot comparisons and demanded them be changed.

wondering if you have had any ruthless alpha/beta testers, or even project managers with teh same enthusiasm for perfect star wars accuracy.

p.s.s your AT-AT's out of sheer curiosity, what height are they? as there are conflicting blue prints on the internet some of which suggest fifteen meters, and others that suggest over 20 meters.

thx again.

hey everyone,

i wrote pandemic concerning the validity of dean betton and "bobby". unfortunately there is still no deciding evidence to show whether "bobby" is dean but i actually received a return message and i have to say i am very impressed with pandemic for taking the time to respond. anyways here you go.

.........................................................................................................

Hi Jason,

My name is Eric Gewirtz, I’m the director of Star Wars:Battlefront. This is in response to your question about Dean Betton being a member of the team. Dean was a lead artist on the game, and a damn good one. We were sorry to see him leave, but his family was in England and he needed to be with them. As for the validity of his posts on the forums, everyone has their opinions on what worked well and what gave us the most issues during the development process, but in the end of the day, I know that Dean and the rest of the team are very proud of the game we made. I really hope you enjoy playing it as much as we enjoyed making it.

Eric Giz Gewirtz

Director

Pandemic Studios

.........................................................................................................

i also have his e-mail address but i won't send him anything because we know he's very busy. i suggest we wait till the first day of october and those of us who have purchased the game should send a short thank you for this great game.

yeah,

i wrote a letter about the game and slipped that in (bobby) at the end. i have to say he is in england with his family and he said that, so i think he's legit.

BUT I WILL NEVER BE FOOLED!!

THERE IS ALWAYS DOUBT!

this topic was fun though!

Hi there good buddy,

It has been good fun chatting to all these guys about our game and I hope you haven't minded me writing on here and giving you guys a laugh. Its kept me busy while I am in Limbo waiting to start work :)

I hope too that I haven't given too much away either. I have tried to keep it a minimum. Its all good publicity in the end I guess.

To Answer the Preachers questions.

I must say, we haven't really had any problems at all regarding vehicle sizes etc, everything is to scale as in the ofiicial Star Wars vehicles book. although the ATAT is scaled up slightly because we built it to its original size and it seemed tiny. so we scaled him up

a bit to make him more imposing. Looking at all the images from the film though, the scale of the ATAT's are so inconsistant. So I don't think it matters too much.

When we were testing we did get a few complaints from Licensing and testers who were getting a little anally retentive. but they were easy things to fix. An example of this was that Luke had no glove on his hand in his black jedi suit so they made us change it. So yeah we did face those challenges.

To Jedi Traitor,

I hope you are happy now you bugger :) but then again even with confirmation off the Director of the project you still won't belive me I bet. LOL

To Schetter, I am not sure what your question means. Can you let me know in more detail. If its to do with if there is a free cam mode so you can record movies then I answered this one before, maybe in a different thread. The answer being I am not too sure if it will be included in the release or not. SORRY.

hehe, in a way its quite comforting knowing that official devs get the same grief from rabid star wars fans as urselves hehe.

and the AT-At isue, thx for answering as it's something that has bothered some of us for a while, we made everything according to blue prints and specs, but as you said, the AT-At just looked so small, so it became more of a What feel's right rather than actual specifications.

we tried loking at the movies as you said, and again the sizes seem so inconsistant, that you can not get an accurate portrayal. so i gues it comes down just what feels right .

thx again for answering all my questions, its much appreciated

Preach

Just one question to devs. Which modes will be avaliable for multiplayer- i guess Historical Campaign isn't there but what about Galactic Conquest. Early previews pointed out that it would be an option in MP but newer ones tend to be silent about it. I believe it wasn't officialy stated anywhere...

Originally posted by Proto

Just one question to devs. Which modes will be avaliable for multiplayer- i guess Historical Campaign isn't there but what about Galactic Conquest. Early previews pointed out that it would be an option in MP but newer ones tend to be silent about it. I believe it wasn't officialy stated anywhere...

If i remember correctly i believe this will be an option for the consoles for MP. As for the PC it's only available in SP.

Sorry about being vague there. It boils down to a sort of SW:BF-TV sort of idea. 'Demo Recording' as it's called in other games that employ this as a means of recording gameplay so that it can be stored and played back essentially involves constant recording of engine events in the form of a text file so that a game can be viewed later. Halflife employs this and the upcoming Battlefield 2 will also use the same thing. It's something that players of the Battlefield franchise have been begging for since release but we've never gotten.

Just wondering if that will be in there. Its especially useful for competetive groups so that they can 'look over the tapes' of matches afterwards for analysis and is also useful as an anti-cheat tool.

If i remember correctly i believe this will be an option for the consoles for MP. As for the PC it's only available in SP.

Now that would truely suck. Don't see any reason why PC version would be any worse then the console one. I would understand if there was some technical problems with it or if it was well considered gameplay decision, but this would point that PC version could be straitened port from consoles. And that's always one of my biggest worries in case of multi-platform games...

Archived