Home

Can you use a vehicle as a droideka?

_reTrY

Nortenyo-

in terms of flying...are the maps big enough for good-drawn out air battles?

i get the sense from movies that the user is forced to travel in circles due to "air space restriction"

thanks for your time...looking forward to the game

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Vortmax

Nortenyo-

in terms of flying...are the maps big enough for good-drawn out air battles?

i get the sense from movies that the user is forced to travel in circles due to "air space restriction"

thanks for your time...looking forward to the game

Not to sound like a complete smart ass, but wouldn't it seem kind of stupid to fly completely away from all the action?:confused:

I can't think of any game, that doesn't have air space restriction. Enlighten me otherwise. But yes we do have it. Bespin has some really fun air battles with lots of vehicles flying in the air at the same time. If you fly out too far you will have to come back or else...

The ceiling is automatic, it forces you back down if you get too high. There are reasons for this, but I can only theorize at those since I'm not the technician behind that.

I am the ghost of obi-wan

The TIE-Bomber is a modification of our existing vehicles in the way it attacks, so it's not like what you saw in say, Rogue Leader. I actually like the way it works in Rogue Leader 2. But that game is all about flying so the comparison isn't fair. I happen to be huge fan of the game TIE-FIGHTER so all in all, I wish we had support for that kind of capability for all our air vehicles. Maybe next time around? That depends on you, the fans. You fans, make what we do possible and I'm sure if you shout loud enough, the right ears will pick it up. Have you played TIE-FIGHTER. That game is excellent. Graphically it leaves alot to be desire in the eyes of todays gamers, but it's an old game...before Pentium was introduced. What I loved about it was the way the game introduced you some "realistic" aspects of being in the Imperial Navy and providing storyline to your actions. And piloting the TIEs was just so much fun. The TIE Bomber in that game, wasn't much of a bomber, as much as it was a DIVE bomber. But Rogue Squadron 2 changed that...being more accurate to the movies in the way it bombed. It's pretty much a vertically descending proton torpedo of sorts. It's that way in our game, too. But we dont' have the changed camera perspective as RS had. I think that would have helped, but perhaps there was reasons we couldn't or didn't do it. My dream game would be TIE Fighter + Battlefront.

All characters but the droideka can pilot vehicles. The droideka IS a vehicle in itself when it transforms. The same button you push to enter a vehicle with another character makes your droideka turn into a ball and start rolling, so it is impossible to actually get into a vehicle with one.

And you are....?

Everywhere I have read it states that all characters can operate vehicles. Bobby even said they can and he is a dev.

Originally posted by Jason Fett

Well that would make it completly redundant to have a pilot then!Why does everyone have to **** on everyones opinions in here, just for the sake of it!?

As said before: Pilot is actually a wrong name for the unit. You'd better call it support unit or something.

BTW, I'm a dev too! ;)

Let me just say this:

The last time I played the Droideka and tried to enter a droid starfighter, MAF, or republic gunship, I was thoroughly denied access as my droideka simply changed into a ball and began rolling. Builds change sometimes daily, sometimes even hourly. Admittedly, it has been a long time since I have actually retried to enter an airship as a droideka, so I will check this monday. Bobby could very well be right. But things might have also changed since he left. I'll doublecheck. But to be perfectly honest and clear with you all, yes, there was a time when our build did not let droidekas pilot ships. It may still be that way, or it may have changed. I usually like to play Hoth or Endor anyway. I'm a bigger fan of the classic era. I'm not claiming anything you wouldn't believe anyway. What you believe in "print" is entirely up to your own investigation. I'll get back with you in the morning after the monday meeting is over. And after I get my bagel with creamcheese.

Originally posted by jedijohn

i think ortenyo should be right that is the best way to do it and stuff like the aat is designed to be operated by a battle droid so nothing else would fit the sbd is too big and the droideka is the wrong shape

I agree, but isn't it also unrealistic that all rebel units have proper training in flying a unit? Or that droids pilot other droids in the first place?

I mean: the whole pilotting system is unrealistic, what makes the droideka a special problem?

Well I think the main reason is for the game to be fun. Wouldn't you be annoyed if you were walking around as normal infantry and then see an x-wing and couldn't fly it without getting first killed and then changing your class. Though I do see your point, what the hell are pilots who build turret posts and throw ammo and medipacks around. Im not so sure which side am I at the moment, but I think the option that everyone ( except droideka ) can pilot vehicles is ok. But I see no problem in letting only pilots to fly air vehicles. That way the Republic gunship would require atleast one unit of less firepower, than have say 5 anti-vehicle guys blasting everything out of the way.

Originally posted by Dragnarr

Well I think the main reason is for the game to be fun. Wouldn't you be annoyed if you were walking around as normal infantry and then see an x-wing and couldn't fly it without getting first killed and then changing your class. Though I do see your point, what the hell are pilots who build turret posts and throw ammo and medipacks around. Im not so sure which side am I at the moment, but I think the option that everyone ( except droideka ) can pilot vehicles is ok. But I see no problem in letting only pilots to fly air vehicles. That way the Republic gunship would require atleast one unit of less firepower, than have say 5 anti-vehicle guys blasting everything out of the way.

If that's a reaction to my post (please quote) you misunderstood me. I'd like to know why people think that only the droideka shouldn't be allowed to fly vehicles.

Yes, and what do you people have against pilots not being the only opne to pilot ships? think abput how stupid that owuld be before thinking about how unrealistic it is. i mean, a pilot in an AT-AT against a soldier right next to two AT-AT's, who would win? The pilot, the soldier can't get into the AT-AT. Pilots own the game, everyone is a pilot, and in a future patch, the jedi class needs to be added to have people paly something else. Is that the game you want to play? no. And that's why everyone can pilot a vehicle.

Fine, change AT-AT to TIE-bomber and you'll have the same effect. Or otherwise, have X-wing. or Y-wing. or droid fighter. How's about a squadron of X-wings against a group of foot soldiers...

Typical, people always point out little details and ignore the point...

Archived