Home

PC System Specifications released - drum roll please!

Schetter

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should run okay on my main system and good on my laptop system.

Main:

Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6GHz)

512MB DDR266 RAM - I'm going to upgrade this to 1GB soon

64MB GeForce 4 Ti 4200 - I'm going to upgrade this to a 128MB GeForce FX 5700 Ultra soon

SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

Laptop:

Pentium 4 3.2GHz (800MHz FSB)

1024MB DDR400 RAM

128MB ATi Radeon 9600

Laptop Sound - my only let down

Cheers,

John

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

Oh for God's sakes people, why worry so much about system specs? If you have a mid-range computer you'll run it fine. Just put everything on low.

I think thats the problem, people don't want to set it to low (like me), they want to play it like it was ment to be played.

Oh for God's sakes people, why worry so much about system specs? If you have a mid-range computer you'll run it fine. Just put everything on low.

As longs as you don't have to run the game on software, it is fine. I bought UT2004 and play on low settings to just have the multiplayer performance as smooth as possible. I could run it higher, but there are other concerns. I still enjoy it a lot, though.

Is that 'integrated graphics'? I'm guessing you've got 'integrated sound' too. I'd be real suprised if you'd be able to run this game at a playable framerate, if at all.

Yeah, all intergrated, but really, the only game thats ever failed to run for me was Spiderman the Movie Game, because it actually scanned for Hardware T&L.

Intel says this bullcrap that "Because most software titles don't actually scan for it, its ok not to include it, and that most processors have the capability anyways" which... even if it is true, its still a dumb reason to not implement the feature.

But hey, Kotor works, and so does ROTK. Like I said, those are high end games, and I have the graphics on.. about medium. FPS is decent (depends on the area)

Ill have to wait on a demo.

I see what your saying, but money doesn't come easy for me, if I want to put $50 down for a game that I CAN'T RETURN, I want to make sure I can actually use it. Looking at the box all day doesn't cut it.

Your case is a lot different luke. You have a card that might not be compatible. That's different. I'm more talking about freakish idiots who think graphics are all that counts.

Like anybody mentioned that graphics are all the matters. :rolleyes: Whats up with all the flaming? Are you in some kinda off bad mood today, because there is no reason you should come out of the shadows to flame.

I am getting me the most advanced video card when I get my new computer next year! Hopefully, it would be too costly! That way I can play games like this for awhile without upgrading or buying a new computer. I am thinking about a 512MB video card but if they are cheap I might buy the next size up! I heard they made a 1024MB video card!

Originally posted by joesdomain

I am getting me the most advanced video card when I get my new computer next year! Hopefully, it would be too costly! That way I can play games like this for awhile without upgrading or buying a new computer. I am thinking about a 512MB video card but if they are cheap I might buy the next size up! I heard they made a 1024MB video card!

And in a year or 5 you will be posting on the forums that you 'only' have a 1024 mb RAM and that you are wonbdering if you can play the game. You probably consider to buy it for the PS4 as you don't have to upgrade your computer then :D

Sometimes I hate that rule. What is it? The quality of chips dubbles every 14 months?

Originally posted by SITH_ShadowCat

I think thats the problem, people don't want to set it to low (like me), they want to play it like it was ment to be played.

Then pay the money to upgrade. It is one or the other.

In any event, unless people have a broadband internet connection, the rest of the specs are unimportant...

Originally posted by Schetter

I beg to differ. Sure, building your own machine will run cheaper than the brand names, but for a hands-down top of the line machine at any given time you're going to have to put down at least $1500. Hell, the best graphics cards on the market always run about $400...by your figure that doesn't leave room for much else...

OK maybe not a super machine but get this.

2.4 Ghz P4

512 Ram PC2700

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

160 GB Seagate Barracuda

52x CDROM

$500

I will be selling a system like this soon with UT2004

It is possible to get a good gaming system under 700

Originally posted by Whoopknacker

2.4 Ghz P4

512 Ram PC2700

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

160 GB Seagate Barracuda

52x CDROM

$500

I guess you don't mean euro's. That's the exspensive problem we got here.

Originally posted by Whoopknacker

2.4 Ghz P4

512 Ram PC2700

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

160 GB Seagate Barracuda

52x CDROM

$500

That's hardly going to be a 'good' gaming system. You also forgot a case, motherboard, and possibly a sound card in your figurings. A good mobo that will be able to run all those elements at their peak will run you about $100 without choking up performance. A decent case that doesn't look like it was straight out of 1993 will run $50+ The lack of a sound card will put more stress on the processor and will shave more FPS that you really want to off your games - add a sound card for $100 (any cheaper and don't bother). The Radeon 9800 Pro will be practically obsolete in a year or so.

That'd be mid-low end nowadays.

Originally posted by Schetter

That's hardly going to be a 'good' gaming system. You also forgot a case, motherboard, and possibly a sound card in your figurings. A good mobo that will be able to run all those elements at their peak will run you about $100 without choking up performance. A decent case that doesn't look like it was straight out of 1993 will run $50+ The lack of a sound card will put more stress on the processor and will shave more FPS that you really want to off your games - add a sound card for $100 (any cheaper and don't bother). The Radeon 9800 Pro will be practically obsolete in a year or so.

That'd be mid-low end nowadays.

Crap, I payed for a new Radeon 9800 Pro to play this game and its already obsolete? When did all this happen? I played UT2004 at max settings with no slow down, then less then a year later I have to jump down to medium. :confused: Talk about fast times, atleast it'll serve me better then my 32 mb intergrated card, which couldn't even have ran Battlefront.

If you want a very good sound card that does not need some of your CPU's power to do it's work for it *cough* Creative Labs *cough* then go with a Turtle Beach card. I have one now and will be putting a new on in my next rig as well. My soundblaster had to use 20% to 25% of my P4 1.5Ghz when I played games, but the Turtle Beach uses 4% to 7%. And I think they sound better than CL's cards too!

Originally posted by ExplodingMonkey

If you want a very good sound card that does not need some of your CPU's power to do it's work for it *cough* Creative Labs *cough* then go with a Turtle Beach card. I have one now and will be putting a new on in my next rig as well. My soundblaster had to use 20% to 25% of my P4 1.5Ghz when I played games, but the Turtle Beach uses 4% to 7%. And I think they sound better than CL's cards too!

Is there anyway I can find out how much my sound card is sucking up my CPU?

Archived