Home

Dedicated Server and Issues [Merged]

KnuckleHeadFR

This game kicks ass !!!!!!

As mentioned in another thread, there are 2 types of game play;

Non-Dedicated servers, 4 players games with up to 6 AI per side.

Dedicated servers, no-one here has worked that one out yet other than it sucks at the moment with lag issues.

In AUS we can only get max 512 upload.

options are;

max players - 1-4 ND.....1-16 dedicated

AI units per team

Team Damage

Aim Assist

Show Player Names

Heros, 1 per side, Jedi, Un-freeking-killable

Teams, players select or auto assign

AI diff, easy - med - hard

Dedicated Server, on or off

Min Players To Start, 0-whatever the maxplayer setting is.

Ping icon in lobby - ping score in game

open comms so record and playback volume.

Hosting Bandwidth, 128k min-256-384-512-1M+

I hope this info is some help to you guys still expecting it.

Cheers

Jax

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the pc game, 3 cds, and there is no dedicated server.exe file found anywhere. Not on the cds nor the install files.

The only way for now would be to launch the game and run it from a full cd install and select dedicated server from the game menu.

That is crap, hopefully they will release a dedicated server only version. Our server doesn't have a directx card in order to run the game, just dedicated server versions.

Originally posted by jackal2001

I have the pc game, 3 cds, and there is no dedicated server.exe file found anywhere. Not on the cds nor the install files.

they have got to be kidding. Its standard practice for PC games to have a seperate dedicated server.

Hell they were copying Battlefield...which not only has a dedicated server but also has seperate server managers and remote server managers.

Not providing a DS for a MP game is like selling a car without the transmission.

how the hell are all of us clan server admins who use remote colocated data centers supposed to load the game? My server is in a rack in virginia 3000 miles away from me.

please please please Lucas Arts....release a Dedicated Server.

Originally posted by [RNGD]Tyrant

they have got to be kidding. Its standard practice for PC games to have a seperate dedicated server.

Hell they were copying Battlefield...which not only has a dedicated server but also has seperate server managers and remote server managers.

Not providing a DS for a MP game is like selling a car without the transmission.

how the hell are all of us clan server admins who use remote colocated data centers supposed to load the game? My server is in a rack in virginia 3000 miles away from me.

please please please Lucas Arts....release a Dedicated Server.

Well I guess Battlefront isn't such a copy of Battlefield after all, sorry you lose.

But I' sure they'll release what you need later, isn't that what they did for JA. I remeber something like that being done for AVP2.

well I may lose. But if all the server admins lose...then where will all the servers come from?

servers hosted off peoples personal machines will not be able to handle 32 players and bots over the net. They certainly wont be running 24/7 to build up a regular set of players.

If they want this thing to be as big as BF, UT04, etc they need to support server admins

Well i can't copy the text so here is the link http://sw-bf.de/article.xhtml?id=14. It talks about having hosting and dedicated hosting that will be included on the CD. Note how they made hosting and dedicated hosting seperate. And it also talks about them having alot of server options. So i know they will include a dedicated server. But it might be like JA and u still need to upload the entire. I dunno yet about that. The only problem with uploading the entire games is patches. Cause u have to re upload the game agian for patches.

Originally posted by frayedends

"Dedicated", yes. As in co-located, hosted, at datacenters, on servers big enough and fast enough to host smooth gameplay with voice.

Servers run off ppl's client PC's, hope not. Do it right or don't do it at all. 30,000 laggy 12-man servers won't bode well for the community.

Tru' 'dat.

I would have the community have shared accounts to pay for a great number of dedicated servers than for individuals to start PC hosting.

For the Dedicated Server crowd, you may want to know that we are planning to have multiple server per CPU support, as well. That means that, depending on your system's power, you may be able to run two or three separate servers without any of them taking major performance hits. Also, for those who like to support their console-playing brethren, we are planning to release a standalone Dedicated Server for PS2 games only that will be a free download.

well that is good news...if its true. THis is the same interview that mentions Punkbuster, but the more recent interview doesnt. It is strange that they havent posted a dedicated server download on LucasArts, it is fairly traditional to post that ahead of the release and/or on the disks, so that we can test it out before the release.

Until they release this (and a little after that for people to test)...there wont be a lot of quality servers out there for the PC.

Originally posted by [RNGD]Tyrant

well that is good news...if its true. THis is the same interview that mentions Punkbuster, but the more recent interview doesnt. It is strange that they havent posted a dedicated server download on LucasArts, it is fairly traditional to post that ahead of the release and/or on the disks, so that we can test it out before the release.

Until they release this (and a little after that for people to test)...there wont be a lot of quality servers out there for the PC.

LucasArts released the deticated server software AFTER Jedi Academy launched, about half a month later. Since when has LucasArts done anything by the book?

true...but SWBF is a totally different type of game. This game is made to be multiplayer (as the IGN review indicates). It is a copy of BF (which is a multiplayer focussed game).

It is a fundamental requirement for there to be a standalone dedicated server. It seems like a nobrainer to make this part of the release, and not an 'afterthought' a month later.

I hope this is all a tempest in a teapot and on Monday or Tuesday they will do the right thing...and release one.

then all us PC Gamers will be happy.

I do own the PC game as target sold theirs early. YOu can run a dedicated within the game but that does no good for server admins. as most good dedicated boxes have a 4mb vid card in them. Which I uploaded the whole damn thing on my server and got it all setup but I cant run the game due to the video card so no dedicated server. We've been stuck running servers off our computers which blows max 10 people on mega connections plus bots and it runs smooth but if they don't have a seperate non gui dedicated server this community is gonna be at the hands of lucas servers.

The other day (sat) there were dedicated servers up on the network there were 4, 16 slot PC dedicated servers thast we could connect to with our PS2's. The servers were there for about 24 hours and then they were taken down, we don't know why....

The ping time for us down here in Australia was not that great- between 200 - 250 on the servers. The game runs fine with pings of 100 - 200 but get a bit jumpy above 220.

Hopefully there will be some deicated servers set up down here because it would be a waste of a really good multiplayer game.

Also, when you set up a dedicated server on the PS2, you cannot play in it. You need at least a 1Mbit UPLOAD connection to host 16 player games.

Due to the sub standard internet in this country (I have 1500/128. Most are on 256/64 or 512/128. Rarely you see consumers with a 512/512 connection or 1500,256) we were only able to host 4 player games.

Originally posted by Red_Six

The other day (sat) there were dedicated servers up on the network there were 4, 16 slot PC dedicated servers thast we could connect to with our PS2's. The servers were there for about 24 hours and then they were taken down, we don't know why....

The ping time for us down here in Australia was not that great- between 200 - 250 on the servers. The game runs fine with pings of 100 - 200 but get a bit jumpy above 220.

Hopefully there will be some deicated servers set up down here because it would be a waste of a really good multiplayer game.

Also, when you set up a dedicated server on the PS2, you cannot play in it. You need at least a 1Mbit UPLOAD connection to host 16 player games.

Due to the sub standard internet in this country (I have 1500/128. Most are on 256/64 or 512/128. Rarely you see consumers with a 512/512 connection or 1500,256) we were only able to host 4 player games.

Thanks for the info! Im sure once the game gets more popular (Probobly in like a week) there will be plenty of dedicated servers up.

Originally posted by S31 Apoc

still no news on a standalone dedicated... shame to see my 100mgbit box go to waste; hosting BFV servers :(

This isnt making us feel good about the game

Don't worry mate,

As I said in the post above this one, I saw 4 dedicated PC servers up the other day so the program is out there somewhere.

Originally posted by Red_Six

Don't worry mate,

As I said in the post above this one, I saw 4 dedicated PC servers up the other day so the program is out there somewhere.

the difference between a dedicated server and a standalone dedicated server is night and day.

any player can run a dedicated server off his local machine using the game itself. However this does server admins no good since they cant load the whole game onto remote servers.

until there is a standalone dedicated server exe distributed, there will be no high speed large bandwidth servers capable of handling 32+ players

thanx for unlocking this thread guys.

We have had this game on PS2 in Austarlian now for a week and the issues outlined above are causing a few hassles.

If there are any out there that can help with this the boys and girls of Australia would be in your debt as there are about 150 online now with more expected this week.

This game is kick ass and I can see it taking over.

Cheers

Jax

I have to say im utterly piss*d off. The game comes with NO stand alone server files so people like myself and many others CANT run dedicated servers which have NO graphic cards and are located 100 miles away. All Lucas Arts have done is knock the total amount of servers that should be running down to 50%, which basically means only the people like Jolt who offer pre-installed rdy to play servers can provide anyone a server unless your foolish enough to play on timmys 56k (1v1 server)

Nice one !

:mad:

Archived