Home

Original Death Star

Lieutenant_kettch

I don't believe there's any way you could possibly convince me that it's easier to dodge while in a confined trench run, as opposed to having ALL OF SPACE to dodge in. They didn't have to come in DIRECTLY at the exhaust port, just at a reasonable enough angle so they could hit it from anywhere between 0° and 45° instead of the 90° that they utilized. They could've even done loops and flips, and had other fighters covering their backs to defend against TIE's.

The logistics just don't quite work out, their strategy was obviously planned by monkeys.

:D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not mean that the approach did not allow for maneuvering, I meant that you could not just pop of a shot as you are in the middle of a turn. the port is only 2 meters wide, so you would have to be pointed directly at it, so you would have to fly in a straight line. but regardeless, the proton torpedo could easily be shot at if it is not right next to the surface.

They had a hard enough time hitting X-wings, those torpedos are smaller AND faster, they'd only have to be lined up with the exhaust port for like, less than a second, and if they timed it right they could have three X-wings/Y-wings all line up and fire at the same time, increasing the odds of SOMEBODY making it :)

ET Warrior, i want you to try something, if you have a copy of XWA. Set up a large stationary Station(a GolanIII) would work nice), and pick out a turbolaser battery on it. You will have to turn your targeting computer off, and i want you to try coming in at different angles, try lining up a shot from straight above, and see how long you live. Then, imagine the experience being 10 times harder, and you will have an idea of what the fighters would have had to do against DS1

Originally posted by Lynk Former

I'll settle this arguement once and for all...

It's a movie. A very entertaining movie. That is all.

:D

Werd. :) though alas, I feel my argumentative nature cannot stop :xp:

i want you to try coming in at different angles, try lining up a shot from straight above, and see how long you live. Then, imagine the experience being 10 times harder, and you will have an idea of what the fighters would have had to do against DS1

Except in YOUR example you're flying at something that is shooting back, while the exhaust port was not a turbolaser.

And if they could shoot the torpedo so easily, why didn't they shoot luke's after he shot it?

Luke's torpedo was below the guns (except for those in the trench that had stopped b/c of the TIEs. Also, he could get closer b/c he only had to pull out a little to avoid crashing, whereas from above, he would have had to make a larger turn, that takes more distance. As far as the exhaust port not shooting back, every other turbolaser on the surface would be (and thats a lot more than there is on any station you can create in XWA. And I believe a turbolaser is much larger than 2 meters anyway, not to mention that it does not require a direct hit.

You are overestimating the size of the wall, and the maneuverability of the fighters. A U-turn like that would take much more space, and pulling out of the trench would take less than a ninety degree turn. If you came in perpendicular, you would have to start the turn from much farther away.

Trench.GIF

Just look at Red Leader's attack run, it is far from a ninety degree pull out from the trench.

Originally posted by Lynk Former

They're not happy until they figure out every atom within the Star Wars universe...

Bah, atoms are too big, I must figure out every sub-atomic particle :)

You are overestimating the size of the wall, and the maneuverability of the fighters. A U-turn like that would take much more space, and pulling out of the trench would take less than a ninety degree turn.

But coming in from my direction means that a firing solution would be aquirable a LOT earlier, meaning that they wouldn't have to make so sharp a turn to pull out ;)

Is it just me that thinks that they made it to have an awesome space battle?

I mean, just looking at the fact the DS was made to repel attacks by big ships seems kinda stupid, since the rebels didnt have that many oversized ships.

What was the trench even used for by the way?

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Bah, atoms are too big, I must figure out every sub-atomic particle :)

But coming in from my direction means that a firing solution would be aquirable a LOT earlier, meaning that they wouldn't have to make so sharp a turn to pull out ;)

acquiring that firing solution earlier would allow the TLs to intercept the torp, and the massive u-turn would let many TLs to track and destroy the fighters

Originally posted by Lieutenant_kettch

acquiring that firing solution earlier would allow the TLs to intercept the torp, and the massive u-turn would let many TLs to track and destroy the fighters

Supposition and conjecture. No torpedo in the movies was EVER destroyed by turbolasers, so we can assume that they are just too hard to target ;)

Supposition and conjecture. No torpedo in the movies was EVER destroyed by turbolasers, so we can assume that they are just too hard to target ;)

no torpedo was ever launched above the surface in the movies,

so by your logic, it's obvious that the death star had a massize weapons jamming system

The rebels were still above the surface of the deathstar when they destroyed it...they certainly weren't flying INSIDE of it, just because it had a trench built into doesn't make the trench not the surface of the Deathstar ;)

in every reference to the trench in all of star wars, the trench is NEVER above the surface, anything above the trench in considered above the surface.

How would turbolasers be able to shoot down torpedoes? The turbolasers only took down one Rebel ship (Porkins), because the turbolasers are not meant for shooting small, fast-moving targets.

Lieutenant Tanbris

We count thirty Rebel ships Lord Vader, but they're so small they're evading out turbolasers.

If turbolasers could barely destroy X-Wings or Y-Wings, how could they destroy a torpedo?

Turbolasers did not take down Porkins. Starfighters can evade, but torpedos just fly in a straight line. That is why they are easier to intercept. Play X-Wing Alliance awhile and you will see what I mean. You can fly circles around capital ships and be fine, but you'll find that a lot of the time, your warheads will get shot down like nothing.

Porkins says "I have a problem here", then Biggs tells him to eject, but Porkins assumes the problem to be nothing to make the ship not flyable, so he continues to fly, but his ship blows up because of the mechanical failure, none of the turbolasers actually hit him. Either way though, it does not change the rest of the argument.

Archived