Home

The Force Has Not Forgotten Us!

lukeiamyourdad

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You apparently haven't played those games at Multiplayer at all then Froz those games Particularly Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 have excellent Multi Player's.

The only bad thing about them possibly is the fact that they usually have to have a program made by a member of the community to make maps for said games.

Originally posted by DK_Viceroy

Do you not know who Petroglyph originally was?

do you bury your head in the Tatooine Sand?

Petroglyph is ran by former WESTWOOD employees and they MADE the C&C series.

Geee couldn't leave the sarcasm out the door eh?

I didn't know, you could have simply said it nicely.

You need to go out and learn to have friends.

In an effort to stop yet another potential flame war that has come about as a result of Viceroy's inability to just be nice...

There's no reason to think necessarily think the new Star Wars RTS will play like any of those previous titles. When most of those game were played multiplayer online gaming was popular, but not the deciding factor in a game's success as it is today. It would be sad if Petroglyph hasn't learnt to adapt to the changing market, and even sadder if they make yet another bad Star Wars RTS when we already have Force Commander. Let's keep our fingers crossed, and hope they listen to the gaming community - remember, that's us - so as to avoid a poorly conceived multiplayer experience.

THAT would start a flame war Vostok.

I'm always Sarcastic.

Perhaps I could put a little thing it my sig like

The Lord of all Sarcarm. lol

Vostok I would have thought the main selling point of games was Replayability making Multiplayer important.

To some people it's the deciding factor to some people it means as much as Llama droppings.

Vostok I would have thought the main selling point of games was Replayability making Multiplayer important.
Well what I meant was that while multiplayer has always been somewhat important, it's more significant now than in Red Alert 2 days. When Red Alert 2 was released not everyone had access to the internet, and a large proportion of the multiplayer games were done via person-to-person dial-up of LANs. Nowadays internet multiplayer makes up the largest proportion of multiplayer games.

Internet-based multiplayer games are usually far more competitive, as they lead to ladders, rankings, tournaments, etc. As such it's important to focus on balancing multiplayer to make it a major competitive experience. On the other hand peer-to-peer dial-up and LAN games were less intensive, usually played amongst friends rather than competitors, so the odd balancing issue wasn't as important.

At least that's the way I see it. I could be wrong.

A bitter sweet moment indeed.

On one hand, the fufillment of almost four long years of waiting. On the other, a slight disappointment that LA felt that GB style game play was insufficient. Well its not something to cry about, I was hoping they'd keep the style that they borrowed from ES. I guess they could have done worse, like picked Blizzard:p

I think it's a bit premature to assume the new Star Wars RTS will just be a Star Wars-ized version of Command and Conquer. I'd like to put a little more faith into the developers. For one thing they'll have to make a whole new engine, since they don't have any appropriate existing engines. So all we can do is have faith...

Well this is good news, especially because Westwood was such a hreat company. I personally loved all the C&C games, but since i only play single-player i really couldnt possibly care less about the multi-player content.

You guys also have to remember that in 'Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge' Westwood made a game with three sides that had completely unique unit sets - that looks good for the new game compared to the SWGB generic sets.

I wouldn't say totally Unique while I loved that game the Building set was for the most part Generic and to some extent the units were as well.

One thing Petroglyph/Westwood as shown itself capable of is greating great games.

the Genie engine is getting on by quite a few years now I doubt they would re-use it when Petroglyph could make a new engine and it not be a Force commander withdifferent content.

I wonder if when the new game comes out if Windu will grace us with his presence in the forum games for the new RTS not SWGB the new one.

I wouldn't say totally Unique while I loved that game the Building set was for the most part Generic and to some extent the units were as well.
Exactly what I was going to say. However Red Alert 2 was the first game to introduce a somewhat primitive "Generals" model, in that you could chose to play as a certain country in each alliance and you'd get a unique unit. In those days that was pretty good for unique unit sets, StarCraft was really the only game that had done properly unique unit sets.

One thing Petroglyph/Westwood as shown itself capable of is greating great games.
I'd agree with that statement for although I never played much multiplayer with Red Alert 2, it certainly was an extremely fun game. It was pretty balanced too, in my opinion.

the Genie engine is getting on by quite a few years now I doubt they would re-use it when Petroglyph could make a new engine and it not be a Force commander withdifferent content.
I think a new engine is a certainty, though whether it will resemble the older games or something entirely new remains to be seen.

Archived