Home

A question to the community.

Mono_Giganto

UV map or quick release?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. UV map or quick release?

• Solid
    • UV Map it you bum!

I have another model done here, a little communication headset thing, it looks pretty cool, the thing is, there is no UV map. The texture is solid, but I think it looks nice with a metallic glint; you really don't notice it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/Mono_Giganto/communicator.jpg

My question:

Spend the next year UV mapping it (:p) or release it as is solid?

Originally posted by T7nowhere

UV map it. It doesn't really take that long. AS good as that model looks, A decent texture will make it look 10 times better.

Take a little time to read through this tutorial and UVW mapping will be a breeze.

http://www.waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/uvwtut_01.html

I've read through that so many times and yet it still leaves me clueless with what I'm doing. :rolleyes::p For any other model, I would sit there and look through that until it made sense to my mind, but this one actually kind of looks nice the way it is.

I'll keep looking through that, however.

Originally posted by Mono_Giganto

I've read through that so many times and yet it still leaves me clueless with what I'm doing. :rolleyes::p For any other model, I would sit there and look through that until it made sense to my mind, but this one actually kind of looks nice the way it is.

I'll keep looking through that, however.

Then go the easy way. Mono:

Here is how to UV map simple models with simple textures.

1. Pick a metal image, any you like;

2. Save it as a mono.tga, for example;

3. Open your model in GMAX;

4. Select the material editor;

5. Click new, then standard material option;

6. In materail editor window, go to blin basic parameters stack and click in difuse;

7. The Color selector-difuse color will show, move the bar to white and click close;

8. Still in material editor window, choose the maps stack;

9. mark the box left of difuse color and click in the "none" button;

10. GMAX materail navigator window will open, double-click bitmap;

11. Find mono.tga and press ok;

12. In materail editor window click the blue cube button called show map in viewport, then click apply;

13. Now the model has mono.tga ramdomlly applied to it;

14. Now select you model go to modifiers/UV coordinates/unwrap UV map;

15. With this modifier stack selected go to parameters/edit in the command panel to the right;

16. The UV map window will open and a wire like figure will be seen over mono.tga, these are the verts of the model;

17. Select them all and scale down till they are applied only over the metal parts of mono.tga you want;

18. Click in update map, close UV map window;

19. Save, reset x-form or whatever needed and export the standard way;

20. All set! Hopefully...:D

Hope you find it usefull.:)

Originally posted by BeautifulPsycho

If you can't do it yourself, ask someone else to do it for you ;)

That's something I really don't want to do. Svosh was already kind enough to UV map one model for me, and I really don't want to get him UV mapping all of my models. I'm going to keep looking at that tutorial until it makes sense, but this specific model looked fine without one in my eyes, but hey, a simple model like that one shouldn't be too hard to learn with, right?

Archived