Home

KOTOR III: New Lightsaber Types

Sanc7us

Originally posted by Sennen

One thing I do have to ask though...why does str help when fighting with a light saber?

Because that is the way the games mechanics works, the WOTC D20 System, a lightsaber is a melee weapon as such it gains a bonus derived from Strength.

Light weighs nothing....

Actually a lightsaber is not light it is a superheated Plasma contained within an electromagnetic field. Lightsabers have weight (Being capable of glancing blows indicate this), and have resistance on impact (Being capable of pulling blows indicate this), it does not generate appreciable light (The saber is a poor light source), and it does cast a shadow (Pure light cannot do such a thing).

Qui-Gon Jinn cutting the door on the Trade Federation ship, and Lukes glancing blows to Vader on Bespin proves this point.

if you pick up a long sword and swing it around. Yes str would help you hit and do more damage....but how would it with a light saber?

Again this is the WOTC D20 RPG system at work.

I mean "real" light sabers killed and cut off limbs like butter.

Not true, if this were true then Obi-Wan would have been legless and armless after the EP2 fight with Dooku, but Dooku could pull his blows, and this is something you can only do if there is some resistance from the blades impact.

Originally posted by Derc

Could there ever be a Light-lance, or Light-spear? :confused:

Basically just a lightsaber with a longer hilt and longer blade...?

a doubble bladed lightsaber is sort of a "light-lance", wont you agree?:D besides, i think inserting stuff like "light whips" and "light spears" would not only break with the star wars legend, but allso make it kinda...cheap or milked:rolleyes:

Originally posted by norwaymaster

a doubble bladed lightsaber is sort of a "light-lance", wont you agree?:D besides, i think inserting stuff like "light whips" and "light spears" would not only break with the star wars legend, but allso make it kinda...cheap or milked:rolleyes:

While I will admit the thought of a light lance makes my skin crawl at the thought of such a useless and pointless weapon not just from the principals of form and function but of the out of kilter nature of the weapon being unweildy and akward.

However a light whip may not have an origin in star wars under that name they do exist quite readily in most high tech sci-fi games and universes. But they have a more common name of mono-filament whips. If you have ever seen Johnny Mneumonic there is one used in there. I know in one of the old west end games star wars rpg there had been a listing for Mono-filament whips.(great for the assasin at heart.)

Originally posted by LordReaver

A lightwhip? Man, I really do need to read more of those Star Wars comics, because that sounds like an amazing idea. Lightbatons sound cool too. Has anyone ever done lightdaggers? Or, on the other end, broad lightswords?

how about a 2 handed light saber and the blade can be huge. and energy shields that you carry in your hand like a normal shield

Archived