Home

Nilihus (minor spoilers)

Xenocidal

Anyone notice

how nihilus practically ties himself to a tree and gives you a semi to run over him with?

And notice how his name is derived from the word 'nihil' meaning 'never' in latin? Or am I seeing a connection when all is there is $20 and twinky?

Originally posted by Xenocidal

And notice how his name is derived from the word 'nihil' meaning 'never' in latin?

Most of the siths who is 'darth (something)' have hidden meanings in their name.

Traya = bertrayal

Sion = not the biggest bible fan, but wasnt this a town that got destroyed for some reason?

Maul = :rolleyes:

Vader = dutch for father

Revan = revenge maybe?

Malak = malace?

Originally posted by Xenocidal

Anyone notice

how nihilus practically ties himself to a tree and gives you a semi to run over him with?

Soooo THAT'S what he was doing...

I thought he was just your normal, tall, handsome guy who just wanted some love. :o

And Darth Tyranus, which means, "I used to play a vampire. And an archmage."

Poor Darth Nilihus though, I really have to wonder if his wimpiness turned out to be due to cut content or lack of funding (of the game).

Sidious = insidious.

Maul = some kind of hammer.

Tyranus = tyranny.

Vader = invader or Dutch for father.

Revan = revenge.

Malak = malicious (Malak in Arabic means angel!!!!!?)

Traya = betrayal.

Nihilus = nihilism (means nothingness in Latin).

Sion = maybe the same as Zion (if it's true, I don’t understand why would they gave him that name).

I'm not totally sure that was sarcastic but just to be on the safe side, calm down. :xp: He was just trying to clean it up for us.

Could Sion be a take on Scion?

And I dunno about the Revan one. Revenge doesn't seem right for it. Perhaps, "Revenant?" Perhaps it was just his name, like Malak. :D

Maul just means bash, beat, claw, hurt and all that jazz doesn't it?

I know there are a lot of Nihilus-bashers out there so I felt like defending him a bit...

Maybe gameplay-wise Nihilus being too easy was a bit of a letdown but from a narrative point of view he is supposed to be isn't he? He was tricked by Kreia through Tobin to come to Telos where there was supposed to be a bunch of Jedi for him to feed on and replenish his power but there weren't. Then he tries to suck the Force out of the Exile, but of course the Exile has ziltch Force content cos of Malachor 5 and he has to feed off of other people too. So I guess what I'm saying is Nihilus is still a bad mother, just not at that particular point in time because Kreia basically handed his a$$ to you on a silver plate. And I'm guessing with his powers Nihilus never really bothered to perfect his lightsaber skills. Doesn't that justify him being so weak? I mean I never really had a problem with him being so easy to beat cos I thought that was how it was supposed to be.

As for his character development... well yeah, but then do you care about it anymore than the development of Maul, or Tyranus even?

Originally posted by The_Maker

Very interesting finds there...

Does Mandalore mean anything in another language? Or did they just make that name up? :confused:

I think its just derived from hhhmmmm mandalorian perhaps? (mandalore is mandalorian for flying space hotdog)

Sion is indeed an alternate spelling of the Jewish word Zion, which is their term for the land of Israel. Now, I don't exactly know what LucasArts is trying to say by naming a super-powerful evil bad guy after it, but hey.

And those two cities that got destroyed in the Bible were Sodom and Gomorrah.

Originally posted by Rogue Nine

Sion is indeed an alternate spelling of the Jewish word Zion, which is their term for the land of Israel. Now, I don't exactly know what LucasArts is trying to say by naming a super-powerful evil bad guy after it, but hey.

There's no such thing as a 'Jewish' word. Is the Latin Vulgate bible written in 'Catholic' now? As for the 'Hebrew' word Zion, that's no doubt the inspiration, but the English spelling "Sion" is very much a Christian phenomenon, notably used to refer to the semi-mythological society, the "Priory of Sion" which was lent its most recent fame in the novel The Da Vinci Code, though 'Sion' is used variously otherwise in Christian theology.

I assume the poster may have been thinking of (the pagan city of) Sidon, usually twinned with its sister city in biblical usage as Tyre and Sidon. Though indeed, it wasn't destroyed.

Whhhhaaaaa????

Way to totally pull that out of your ___ .

Sion also means "tumult" as in "chaos." Additionally, it's supposed to be reminiscent of the word "scion" which means "child" or "descendant," which is what Sion was to Kreia; a 'prodigal son'.

Originally posted by McPurplesaber

Whhhhaaaaa????

Way to totally pull that out of your ___ .

Sion also means "tumult" as in "chaos." Additionally, it's supposed to be reminiscent of the word "scion" which means "child" or "descendant," which is what Sion was to Kreia; a 'prodigal son'.

And where does Sion mean tumult or chaos that you've encountered? There's no ambiguity here: Sion has one major meaning in the English language, and that meaning refers to the land of Israel and the temple mount, especially in Christian theology, when using that spelling of it. Given the Star Wars universe's penchant for Judeo-Christian mythological references, this makes perfect sense.

It really does appear that he's right and you're wrong. You've given no reason for anyone to think otherwise and a hysterical explosion ("Whhhhaaaaa????") doesn't constitute a satisfactory argument for your idea.

Originally posted by Yst

And where does Sion mean tumult or chaos that you've encountered? There's no ambiguity here: Sion has one major meaning in the English language, and that meaning refers to the land of Israel and the temple mount, especially in Christian theology, when using that spelling of it. Given the Star Wars universe's penchant for Judeo-Christian mythological references, this makes perfect sense.

It really does appear that he's right and you're wrong. You've given no reason for anyone to think otherwise and a hysterical explosion ("Whhhhaaaaa????") doesn't constitute a satisfactory argument for your idea.

A satisfactory argument?

Just because his name is 'Sion' does not mean his name has anything to do with the biblical Zion. Why would it? It would make absolutely no sense. Can you please find me any possible connection between a dark lord of the sith and "Israel" or the "Temple Mount"? I challenge you too.

As for my two arguments:

1. Sion: noise; tumult

Source: Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary. According to this dictionary, created by one Rev. Hitchcock, D.D, LL.D., (who was the Washburn Professor of Church History in the Union Theological Seminary in NY), Sion is an ancient Hebrew name. And yes, it is Biblical. And yes, it means tumult.

2. Scion: descendent or heir.

Again, this is much more fitting, as Sion was a pupil of Kreia's and therefore an "heir" to the mantle of Lord of the Sith. Once again, this definition of the name is a bit more fitting.

So, I have given you two very satisfactory arguments. I challenge you to give me just one.

It doesn't really have anything to do with having the last word ... it has to do with everyone trying to step to me with lame arguments about Zion and the Temple Mount, and me me totally ruining them all and decapitating them with lightsabers. This isn't the Matrix, and and It's not the bible. It's Star Wars.

Archived