urluckyday

What "trooper" is better  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What "trooper" is better

• Stormtrooper
    • Clonetrooper
    • The "new" clone trooper (Ep. 3)
    • They all stink!

Not exactly. It could be done without a computer, but thats beside the point. The images themselves would not have to be created using a computer. Its like when you see large crowds of people in movies. Usually there are not that many people really there.

Exactly so. There's a big difference between compositing some more people into a scene (including the same people shot a different way!) that aren't actually there on set.... and creating people that are completely CG (ie: they are computer 3-D models, not photographed human actors).

In the original trilogy there's a couple of instances in crowd shots where Lucas put in cardboard cutouts that were painted in (note the award ceremony in ANH, which was "Fixed" in the Special Edition.. or the Emperor's arrival in ROTJ that remains). The latter example is less obvious except when you freeze frame. Another use of cardboard is the shot of Lando hanging onto the bottom of the skiff while Luke leaps from one to the other in ROTJ (I never noticed it until somebody pointed it out in the last year and now it's painfully obvious everytime I watch it!). ROTJ was supposedly completed in less than a year, so that's the only explanation I can think of for why this stuff wasn't fixed. Because the technology for inserting those characters certainly existed at the time. Why Lucas didn't take the time to correct any of this while he was re-editing the films I don't know.

So yes, Lucas could have created identically heighted stormtroopers AND stormtroopers all with the same voice if he had wanted to back in the 1980's (he probably didn't have the money to do it in 1977). It's not necessary to do so, and his after the fact explanations make it clear he has no plans to do that anytime soon, which is fine by me.

So yes, Lucas could have created identically heighted stormtroopers AND stormtroopers all with the same voice if he had wanted to back in the 1980's (he probably didn't have the money to do it in 1977). It's not necessary to do so, and his after the fact explanations make it clear he has no plans to do that anytime soon, which is fine by me.

Don't post this! You might give GL funny ideas... :p

• 2 weeks later...
Not really, the stories are why I see Star Wars, not the greatest cinematography and acting in the world.

Of course not. It was never about the acting. The stories however, were well put together onscreen, evidenced by how we are all still mesmerized by them. George Lucas did something right, I would say.

• 2 months later...

Neither did i know the clones were CG before i read about it.

About things looking fake: Lookt at the umm.. thingy falling on Obi-Wan on the bridge of Grievous's ship, Obi-Wan looks so fake there. :D

Edit: Gah! Of course i had to do something noobish!

In Attack of The Clones, there were hundreds of clone troopers seen. Why did they decide not to have any real life clone troopers? I know it would have been harder, but I think the quality of the film could have been better.

you know what? you're right. It would've been much easier to hire thousands of athletic able actors who are all the same height and weight, train them to all move the same and put the thousand of costumes on them that the clothing department could have easily made in a month or so.

or not.

• 1 month later...

It can be done extremely well, but sometimes I think Lucas could have used stunt men for when humans were floating around, I mean, the Palpatine fights were really stupid in the way he bounced everywhere like a DBZ characters.

Anyway, ours is not to judge the way a film is created, I guess. After all, we're not directors!

Archived