Home

New game, same problem (module issue..)

Akira X

So a year ago I tried my hand in making a mod using Doom Dealer's tutorial. I followed the instructions with the exception of the area, coordinates and player. But my npc never showed up no matter what I did. And I tried like 80 times mind you.

Now it's a year later and TSL is out again I tried to make a mod, but yet again I have the same problem my npc never showes up. I was wondering if any one could give me a nice straight forward tutorial on how to spawn an npc and have a "talk, Fight" sequence by mod (I need to use a mod because I'm not sure if you can add in custom chars in using scripts, plus I have minimal Knowledge on scripts) So any help would be greatly appreciated for this newb that is myself.

I am currently building an in depth tutorial for this whole thing and storyline mods all together. Could you be a little bit more specific on what you have tried, I see that you didint use the area creation and coordinates part of the tutorial so i am guessing you are using one of the original modules. And often times when putting your pc in a module, using the git file, in the Template_ResRef people will put the npc's tag instead of the name of the utc file, you need to put the name of the npc in the Template_ResRef not the tag or else it wont show up.

thanx for the replies, however I do use the utc name for the Template and I did have the user-struct as 4. I have tried a few things at first I thought I made some sort of error in the .git file which is still possible but I also tried adjusting the position until I got annoyed and tried replacing an exhisting creatures postion.

The only way to really know what I did wrong was to give you my mod, but reading a tutorial woould be better and as you said the story needs modifications.

I'm not sure what I did wrong yet but as I said someone would prob had to look at my mod. Any more advice or theories about my mistake would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Akira X

I'm wondering if the mod itself has to be started via script. Any ideas or opinions?

Not necessarily. You can use "warp" command in the console. (eg: warp fail) You shouldn't however load an existing savegame of your mod while you still working on the GIT file.

stuff to check:

- double-check your coordinates.

- Check your NPC template itself. Did you create it yourself or are you using existing one? Make sure the TemplateResRef matches the filename (no extension). Also make sure that the file name is no longer than 16 characters. Finally, make sure you spelled it all correctly. :p

Originally posted by Gsccc

Meh We can only do Kotor 1 maps in KT i thought, if not then I can send you all the module models Fred so that you can complete the module editor for Kotor 2.

Before MDLOps supported the KotOR II format differences, there was no way for me to produce the map backgrounds for the Module editor. That should no longer be a problem.

If you have assembled the in-game module models in 3DS Max (not GMax), I can produce the map backgrounds and see what we can do about starting the KotOR II module editing process. :)

Send me one .max model, if you get the chance.

Woo hoo! 600th post!

So I shouldn't load an existing save game to try my mod?

I wouldn't recommend it, provided the save is made IN your mod. The game includes the GIT file in the save.

Somthing else just crossed my mind. Do you need to make a trigger in the map .Git

file to start the mod?

No you don't need triggers.

Basically, you only need are, ifo and git files to load the module.

Maybe if you post your files, myself or somebody else can take a quick look at them.

here is a link to my broken mod, take a look at it if you have the chance :)

Doesn't appear broken to me. Nihilus appears fine. :confused:

Are you sure you are not loading a save after you have already visited your module?

Well I did try a new game but the only thing that appeared were the HK50's when I warped

Then you aren't warping to the correct module. :confused:

You've deleted their instances from the GIT file, so they shouldn't appear (and they didn't in my case).

Just to make sure, you should type "warp mymod" in the console, not "warp 261TEL".

Ok got th dlg running, with the exception of the actions and facial expressions, for some reason those won't fire off. If any one knows how to fix that I would be grateful. Also any one know what the resfef is for Nihilus voice sound is so I can sync it with the dialouge...

Archived