Home

How Did You...

How did you first find out about Sam & Max? For me, it must've been mid-to-late 90s, I bought the adventure bundle of LucasArts games from Sam's just because it had Lucas in the company name. Probably laughed the hardest in my life. Bought the tpb, watched the show, became a fanboy.

Me and my dad were walking aroun CompUSA looking for a new game to buy, when we saw it. The back of the box made it look like an amazing game, and I enjoyed adventure games and loved LEC games. So we bought it and I've been playing it since then (almost my whole life).

As I look around my room, looking at my sam and max posters I shiver at what kind of person I cou;d have been without it. I find it odd how such a small day changed my life in such a big way. I don't know what I would be like if I didnt go to CompUSA that day with my dad... Sam and Max has been a huge part of my life and has shaped my personality when I was a easily influenced kid. Their wit and smart-assitude (it's a word now) reflects what I've grown to be.

I just found it at my older cousins house. Thats it really. It was about a month before the tv show started so once I saw a commercial I thought to myself, "self, haven't you seen that logo before? Wouldn't it be worth investigating something that looks this weird?" It was.

Ah, Sam & Max.

I was already a LucasArts fan boy by 93 when Sam & Max came out. I had already played and beat Monkey Island 1 & 2, Fate Of Atlantis was my favorite game ever, and if I remember correctly, I had already beat Day of the Tentacle before I played Sam & Max.

So it was 93, and I was in second grade (Look, me and Synthetic have something in common!) And I saw a display set up at my local computer game shop in the mall for Sam & Max. Now, I was already an avid reader of Adventurer, so I had heard about it, and I wanted it.

CD-Rom technology wasnt new at this point, but it was starting to get cheap enough for my family to afford. The floppy disk version came out first, and I wanted to play a new adventure game so bad, Im sure I begged to get my dad to spend food money to buy it.

"But the CD-Rom version that talks will be out in like a month!" my dad said. But it fell on deaf ears, I played Day of the Tentacle, and the Monkey Island games without voices, I didnt need them to play this one. And my dad was as much a Lucas Arts fan as I was, and he bought me the floppy disk version, complete with the cool copy protection. And I played and beat the game, and loved it.

Then, when my next birthday came around, I asked for the CD-Rom version, which I got, and beat again, loving every minute of it.

So, in 93, I first played Sam & Max, which introduced me to the characters, and lead to me becoming a big fan, and buying anything related to them that i could find and afford.

And thats also why Lucas Arts used to be my favorite company. Before they decided that Star Wars games could make money even if they sucked.

Damn, that actually brings back alot of good memories of my youth.

*takes a shot of Jack Danials Old No. 7 Whiskey*

SO I'ved respnded to my same post twice, so what.

I just wanted to let Lucas Arts know, I was supposed to get a free S&M pen with my purchase of the talkie version, which I never got....I still miss that pen on lonley nights....

*another shot of jack*

Originally posted by Shmargin

And hey, that was my 150th post, If I hadnt moved and been without net for almost 2 years, who knows how high that number could be, I'll just keep posting and see i guess.

Yeah man seriously, you've been a member as long as me, and I'm totally blowing you away, better get to work.

• 3 months later...

Well, first time I came in contact with Sam & Max was when I bought it together with Day of the Tentacle... I was looking for a game, and I liked the box :p

I was 10 years old then, and I'm really grateful for my childish behaviour of selecting a game just for its box...

Archived