Home

TSLPatcher v1.2.10b1 (mod installer)

Thanks stoffe, though as I said it worked with RowLabel I just had to put the 2DAMEMORY line after the itemtype was created.

It works in this case, but may be unreliable if some other mod adds lines with values in the row label column that are out of sequence so the row label no longer matches the line number of the row.

The value used for reference in this case is the line number, the row label just happens to match the line number in many (but not all) 2DA files as standard. But there is nothing that enforces this numbering since the row label doesn't seem to be used for anything by the game in the line number indexed 2DAs. :)

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When appending tlk files to dialog.tlk the size of existing strings is increased by 1 (probably this appear only when size of dialog.tlk file exceed 10Mb).

To stoffe:

Heh, that's half the reason why I haven't posted the source code for my tools yet (it's not pretty).

Why you scare to open the source code of this tool? Like said russian proverb: "four eyes see more than two" :)

Thanks.

When appending tlk files to dialog.tlk the size of existing strings is increased by 1 (probably this appear only when size of dialog.tlk file exceed 10Mb).

Hmm, I haven't noticed that. I'll have to look into it and see what causes it. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

I've a request, if it's not much to ask (that's what I don't know actually, how much work it will take): Is it possible for you, stoffe, to make this program handle all kinds of 2da files? Rather than just binary ones.

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm using your program to install NWN2 modifications, but as you probably know NWN2 uses 2da binary files.

If you can't do it yourself then could I've a look at the source code? That will really help the NWN modding community (not just me, of course).

Thanks.

I've a request, if it's not much to ask (that's what I don't know actually, how much work it will take): Is it possible for you, stoffe, to make this program handle all kinds of 2da files? Rather than just binary ones.

It should be possible to do, I've just been too lazy to get to it since it wasn't really needed and string matching of that variety is quite tedious work in a language without regular expressions or other advances string matching functionality. :)

But if there is need for it I can add it to the To Do list and try to implement it.

I'd have to update it to be able to handle the ERF V1.1 format as well so it can read NWN2 MOD files for it to be all that useful. If I recall correctly the differences were fairly minor, just implementing the longer 32 character ResRefs for the contained resources instead of the 16 character ones KOTOR/NWN1 uses? The ResType <--> File extension conversion table may be different as well.

It should be possible to do, I've just been too lazy to get to it since it wasn't really needed and string matching of that variety is quite tedious work in a language without regular expressions or other advances string matching functionality. :)

But if there is need for it I can add it to the To Do list and try to implement it.

I'd have to update it to be able to handle the ERF V1.1 format as well so it can read NWN2 MOD files for it to be all that useful. If I recall correctly the differences were fairly minor, just implementing the longer 32 character ResRefs for the contained resources instead of the 16 character ones KOTOR/NWN1 uses? The ResType <--> File extension conversion table may be different as well.

Thanks then. :) I really don't want to be a bother, I even tried to use your 2DA converter, but when I tried to convert the 2DA files of NWN2 to binary format, the results weren't always happy (sometimes the data on all columns was concatenated all together in the first column). Even if they were it wouldn't be user friendly since anyone using a mod like that would have to run the patcher and then use the converter to convert file by file back to a text 2DA. Anyway, thanks again for keeping your support to the modding community.

• 3 months later...

I got a quick question

If I released something with the patcher and then decided to go back and add something that would override the original (ie. a TGA that I modified for darkside transistions) would I have to redo the whole thing or can I just add the new TGA's to the tslpatchdata folder and override the old TGA's

• 1 month later...

i hav a problem i went to properties and accadentallly clicked on the change button and now it opens up some internet page with nothing on it then the page quickly closes i then have no clue how to fix this and i seem to be suffering the same effect from a mod i recentlly downloaded (this is like my first time ever modding anything and i really need help

I have a few questions. I'm not a modder, but I do use mods. Some mods install great, while others, I have to replace the file that I put into my override directory. Some of those are .2da's. Now, if I use the TSLPatcher, will this combine the .2da files that I have, or do I have to use some other tool to do that? I prefer to know before I try this tool. If needed, I'll download and use Fred Tetra's tool. But if this will do it for me, I'll use it. Anyway, I think that those who make mods are doing a good thing, and also you all keep up the good work.

*Edit* The reason I'm asking is because I have some mods that have some of the same files, and I prefer either combining them, or even editing one to have aspects of the other. I'll make a new thread telling you all what mods I am using, which may help you all, as well.

I have a few questions. I'm not a modder, but I do use mods. Some mods install great, while others, I have to replace the file that I put into my override directory. Some of those are .2da's. Now, if I use the TSLPatcher, will this combine the .2da files that I have, or do I have to use some other tool to do that?

TSLPatcher is capable of adding new lines/columns or editing existing lines in 2DA files already present in the override folder, but it needs to be configured to do so. Depending on what 2DA file it is and what changes has been done to it this can be a mostly painless process. The config utility can compare two 2DA files and create patch instructions of the differences between them, though in many cases you need to manually tweak some of these instructions to insert dynamic values or links to dynamic values in other files (using StrRef ad 2daMemory tokens).

The TSLPatcher is mostly intended as something a mod maker can use to make it easier to dodge some types of mod compatibility issues for the mod users. Since you need some knowledge of how the mod is built and how things fit together (to be able to link things properly) it may be hard to use as a compatibility tool for players with a mod that wasn't shipped with it.

If you just want to merge some 2DA files there is a 2DA Converter utility which can do this instead more easily (it takes 2 modified 2DA files and one unaltered copy of the same 2DA file, compares them and put the changes in the two files together into one file). You still need to be aware of how the 2DA files are used by the game though, since some lines in 2DA files are referenced by line number, and if the line number changes you need to update all places that point to that line as well.

Thank you Stoffe for that. I think I may have to write to all the bloody modders, and ask them to please up date their mods, and to use the TSLPatcher, so that us players can install the mods, and not have to worry about compatibility issues between one mod and the next. The next, biggest, mod problem I have is some of the .ncs files are the same. I am debating to install the mods that have those same things, or even put certain things into separate directories, and and keeping the major stuff in the main override directory. That may eliminate some minor problem with those files.

As a side note, this is not really a complaint against you modders, but something to keep an eye out for. I love all the mods I have, and I would like to use them all, just that some aren't fully compatible with each other. But, again, keep up the good work, and please try to use the TSLPAtcher, as it makes life easier all around.

TSLPatcher, so that us players can install the mods, and not have to worry about compatibility issues between one mod and the next. The next, biggest, mod problem I have is some of the .ncs files are the same. I am debating to install the mods that have those same things, or even put certain things into separate directories, and and keeping the major stuff in the main override directory.

The problem is that the way the KOTOR game uses to store game data and assets isn't really well adapted for mods and making things from different sources play nice with each other. Some problems can be mitigated with utilities like TSLPatcher, but it's not a universal solution to all kinds of mod compatibility problems. Some things, like scripts, cannot easily be automated to provide compatibility. Using mods for Kotor will never be as beginner friendly as it is for other games that have been designed with 3rd party modding in mind.

In the case of scripts you'll either need to merge them by hand, or choose what mod you prefer the most if several modify the same standard game scripts. Merging them by hand usually isn't all that hard if you got the script compiler and basic knowledge about how to use it, if the mod makers have documented the changes they've done to the scripts. But it does require some modding knowledge.

There isn't much modders can do about this other than avoid modifying the standard scripts whenever possible, and document what they have changed when it's unavoidable.

Just putting scripts with the same name in different sub-folders will not solve the compatibility problems. The game can only use one resource of each type with a particular ResRef, so only one of the scripts would be used while the others are ignored.

Thank you Stoffe for that. I'm going to just be careful of the mods I use, now, until I get ready to make my own. Won't be anything spectacular, maybe just use what I have, and place them in different places, and actually make them work a little better.

One thing I want to try is using some of the other containers that are in the game, so I don't have to with doors, and entering stuff. This way, I avoid the necessity of using some of the files other modders use.

Have I just got the bad luck of trying to DL the tool on the day the site is down? Every site I searched leads to a Swkights.tool link and it is error. (Or posts asking about a TSL Patcher link)

For such a critical tool are there any other DL mirrors?

Any help would be appreciated.

Have I just got the bad luck of trying to DL the tool on the day the site is down? Every site I searched leads to a Swkights.tool link and it is error. (Or posts asking about a TSL Patcher link)

The Starwarsknights site has some technical difficulties at the moment. Hopefully it will be fixed within a day or so, and the file should be available after that again.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being a bit of a noobie but i need help....I've tried to download the TSLPatcher several times and it doesn't seem to work, all i get is some file the computer does not recognize can anyone tell me what im either doing wrong or what the problem is...

Help would be Much Appreciated :D

• 1 month later...
If the Patcher keeps mods compatible then could the TSL Patcher required mods just go in the Override or something else, Thanks:D

Mods that come with a TSLPatcher installer should not be manually placed in the override folder. The installer will copy the files to where they need to be when you run it, and sometimes make changes necessary to existing files. Depending on how the installer is configured you might break your game if you just copy files from the tslpatchdata folder into your override folder on your own.

The patcher doesn't 'mess things up'. If anything, the person who set it up did. Make sure when you install any mod you always consult the read-me file first. Not reading them is a good way to install mods wrong, even if you are using a great tool like the TSL Patcher. :)

Ahh, the great TSLPatcher. Whenever I try to spell you, I wanna put an R before the P (TSLRPatcher; did u c wut i did thar?). That just explains how epic this thing is. :) [/buttkissing]

Now, I debated whether to post it here or in KTool's forum, but since my problem comes from this program, I decided to post it here :)

With this file, a modified(?) nwscript was included and whenever I try to open it with KTool's Text Editor, an error shows up. It tells me to continue or quit. If I click continue, a completely folded up KTool pops up (nothing open, just the option to open the K1 or TSL tree). I don't know if its a problem with THAT nwscript, or KTool.

I also have another problem, which I think might be solved quick:

When I open the ChangeEdit.exe program, I was looking at a tut on KOTORFiles. It showed that program. I opened it, and it looked nothing like it.

Heres the pic:

Too Big for here

But When I open it, it just shows the word Changes (Without the ini) and when I click on the plus sign, nothing emerges. Strange, right?

Now, when I open the File tab, and click on open, it wants me to find a changes.ini file. I don't know where to find one of those...

EDIT: I clicked on New, and saved somewhere, and I've fixed my bottom problem....

With this file, a modified(?) nwscript was included and whenever I try to open it with KTool's Text Editor, an error shows up. It tells me to continue or quit. If I click continue, a completely folded up KTool pops up

If you mean the nwscript.nss file it's just a normal text file which you can open with just about any text editor. It's just the standard file from the game with a few errors in it that have been corrected.

Archived