Home

default.cfg not found? (JA Error)

DarkPrimus

See the thread title. That's all the error message tells me- that default.cfg cannot be found. I've reinstalled the game several times, but nothing's changed. I cannot access single or multi-player; the game locks up on the loading screen, or on the main menu screen, depending on whether or not I start it in safe mode.

The console says that my game is version 1.0.1.0 ... just like my game disc has "v1.01" printed on it. ;)

That's pretty amazing. Where did you get it out of curiosity? My discs don't have any version numbers printed on them. As far as I know you just buy the game and it's 1.00. You have to patch it to get 1.01, they don't sell it already patched.

If you're using a dodgy bootlegged version that might account for your problems...

Well sometimes games do come with patches (a few games that have screwed up at press time, been delayed and then just stuffed the patch into the box with the retail game on release; also the "Game of the Year Edition" or "Gold" edition of a few major titles) but I've never heard of a Raven or recent LucasArts game like that, certainly not Jedi Academy.

Okay, now it gets weird. It is not a bootleg copy at all, right?

Furthermore, when I take it back to the store where I got it, they test it, and... it works. Even though the console has the same error, they managed to load the start screen, make a character, and get through the opening cinematic (they Alt+F4'd before actual gameplay started).

So, now I'm REALLY confused. The computer they were using, by their own admission, is several years older than mine, and inferior in every way. So why does it work on their computer, but not mine?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been out of town for a while, but the error is still there. I've decided to post the whole damn message, see if you guys can't find something I'm missing...

JA: v1.0.1.0 win-x86 Oct 24 2003

Initialising zone memory .....

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

E:\GameData\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (15346 files)

E:\GameData\GameData/base

----------------------

15346 files in pk3 files

Running in restricted demo mode.

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

E:\GameData\GameData/demo

----------------------

15346 files in pk3 files

Couldn't load default.cfg

Archived