Home

O_O Record rain, uber-floods, in Sabre's city

Sabretooth

Mumbai has just hit it's own record for highest rainfall in a hundred years. Never has it rained 94 cm in Mumbai. The closest was at 54 cm or something.

And that's not good. Floods nearly drowned the city on 26th, two days after my birthday (which went uncelebrated at the forums, BTW...). I saw some of it's worst. Water level in my surroundings had reached an astounding five feet!! That's mainly because a canal flows right next to my building. On Wednesday it rained so much, the canal overflowed for the first time and the whole place was filled with water. Two-wheelers were washed away and cars were submerged. The force of water even smashed my front and back compound walls! The dirty water next entered the water tank, meaning the water got badly contaminated and the entire building had to rely on a nearby water tap which had pure water. Electricity was out for a day here and in some places it's still out. The airport was not functioning as was Mumbai's backbone - the railways.

Telecommunication was also not working as landline phones weren't working and moblie providers were temporarily out. It was restored in a few hours, though. Roads were flooded, leaving cars and vehicles in gutters. Hundreds have died and my father, returning home had to walk quite a distance in waist-deep water.

My aunt, who stays at Thane, just outisde Mumbai reports that the water is so much, it has actually reached the second-storey of buildings (which is actually the third, as the ground floor is not considered the first)

More here:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/07/28/mumbai.rain/index.html

http://web.mid-day.com/

and several other news-websites.

That is nature's belated birthday present for me... <_< >_>

Originally posted by TK-8252

...Oh yeah... I just always assume they live in the U.S. ;)

...Why you little! *Strangle*

Back ON-TOPIC:

Whew... That's a lot of water... You sure not some evil mastermind did all that. First they steal every drop of water from the US and then plant it in Mumbai... Wait, he wouldn't be a criminal mastermind, he would be the saviour of the rest of the world. Hoorah! :D

They just had a tornado near here in Birmingham!

TK-8252: The original Birmingham in the Uk, not the one in Alabama... :p

Its either a sign that god is mad at us all and the world is about to end, or its global warming. I vote for the first.

Archived